Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guitar Doc

The right to an opinion

2 posts in this topic

My grandmother would often defend people who were so obviously wrong when people would try and jump down their throat.

She told us people had a right to be wrong. Millions of young men had died fro that right during WWII and she wasn't going to throw it in their face and the face of their families.

I back that. I will fight for a persons right to express their opinion freely even if I totally disagree with what they are saying. They have a right to say their opinion whether I agree or not.

To do any otherwise is to engage in CENSORSHIP. As someone who was part of the old CT scene we all swore against censorship and agree to be supporters of Freedom. We said we would put out lives on the line for it.

I am deeply disturbed by any actions or people who want to shut someone up just because they had a different opinion from themselves. That is a well known path which leads to a well known dead end, particularly in CT sites where it has been the virtual death of several.

We don't have to have the same opinions to get along. There are very few things we need to agree on to have a functioning society.

Here is my West-coatsers Pledge to you.

I will freely put my life on the line for you (my personal ethics are if you are not willing to put your life on the line for your fellow man/woman you are not worth the space you take up)

I will tell you if someone intends harm against you or is engaged in deception against you if I know it.

If you need something and I have it I will give it freely. I expect the reverse also.

I will defend your right to an opinion even if I don't share that opinion.

Beyond that what do we really need to agree on to have a society?

Suppressing opinion never works in my opinion. It is anathema to me and it is everything I have experienced on Govt controlled sites. It is why I would never go back to LOP or any of the big sites. If you seriously believe in freedom then you can't suppress any opinions. No-one is forcing you to agree with them, all they are doing is expressing what they currently believe in.

My grandfather told me, "The moment the government makes opinions illegal is when you take them out." He was dead set serious. I see in Europe (in which some of my ancestors died liberating) they have jailed people for expressing their opinions on the numbers of Jews killed by the Nazi's as the only official figure (Red Cross) is 289,000 which fall well short of 6 million.

I am appalled by the nations who had imprisoned people for expressing valid doubt over the 6 million number. It was what my ancestors fought against and they have thrown away the sacrifice of millions of young men. Those people of those nations have let us down by not immediately removing their governments as their grandparents would have no doubt told them to do.

My grandparents also told me there would never be Laws to regulate human beings either as that is what Hitler was doing. They were guaranteed that by their governments after WWII.

Look at the betrayal. Kids died. 16, 17,18 19, 20, 21,22. That was their ages, few were older than that. They never got to have a wife, a family, a life. They died for us so oppressive governments would not regulate people, they were only to regulate business.

Damned if I want to see people piss all over those sacrifices.

If someone has an opinion different from your own, They are Allowed To. People died for that right. You don't have to agree with them, that is another of the rights people died for.

Lest We Forget

2 people like this

If someone has an opinion different from your own, They are Allowed To. People died for that right. You don't have to agree with them, that is another of the rights people died for.

Lest We Forget

Cool post!

Eggzackerly - I have the same thing about many of the things people have strong opinions on - like religion / organised religion / church.  Everyone has a right to an opinion on religion and they have a right (privilege) to say how they feel and why.  BUT - I detest people who try and convince me that their religion is the correct / right / only one!  

I will respect your (the royal your) right as long as you afford me the same privilege!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.