Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
CSB

This is way children under the age of 18 should not have access to a cell phone or a computer

6 posts in this topic

I remember it was in the late 90s when Bill Gates made this comment . A warning to parents .

Children under the age of 18 should not have access to a cell phone or a computer with out strict parental supervision .

This is about the only thing that I have ever agreed with Gates on .

We all know about the dangers of interacting with strangers on social media . . . right? One on line prankster put this to the test and created an experiment where he showed how easy it was to lure girls whom he met on Facebook to meet in person.

Coby Persin, with the permission of the girls' parents, contacted them via Facebook, posing as a 15-year-old boy. He chatted with all three girls — ages 12 to 14 — for three to seven days before suggesting a meet up. He then filmed the meet ups, along with the parents' shock and anger over their daughters' dangerous decisions.

The viral video has already garnered 11 million-plus views since it went up two days ago. While on line predators are everywhere, and not solely on Facebook, this short video reminds us all how easy it is to fall prey to these situations.

This video  Published on Aug 10, 2015 on YouTube

Parents are plugged in today and most have no idea who or what is communicating with them today. 

The worst part of that video for me is how the first 2 reacted. Instant tears and I'm Sorry. I would bet the third would have reacted the same way had she not seen her life flash before her eyes when she was grabbed by 3 people simultaneously. In my opinion that is the result of passive parenting. The children know there is no real danger in not following their parents rules because tears and I'm sorry solves everything. I would be willing to bet #3 will reconsider her actions in the future, the first 2 probably won't take it any more to heart than if they got caught watching TV in the middle of the night cover in Dorito's crumbs.

My daughter thinks I am a hard ass because I have time locks on all of our electronics to prevent her from using them in off hours. I harp on her constantly about security and show her videos such as this one or To Catch a Predator. Hopefully when she is 20 she looks back and says 'Gee I sure am glad dad was so hard on me'. I thank god everyday for how hard my parents were on me. I wouldn't be where I am today without it I am sure.

-Arnie L

EDIT: As a side note, it doesn't help that these parents allow their young teen children to dress like hookers.

Edited by Arnie L
Addition

The worst part of that video for me is how the first 2 reacted. Instant tears and I'm Sorry. I would bet the third would have reacted the same way had she not seen her life flash before her eyes when she was grabbed by 3 people simultaneously. In my opinion that is the result of passive parenting. The children know there is no real danger in not following their parents rules because tears and I'm sorry solves everything. I would be willing to bet #3 will reconsider her actions in the future, the first 2 probably won't take it any more to heart than if they got caught watching TV in the middle of the night cover in Dorito's crumbs.

My daughter thinks I am a hard ass because I have time locks on all of our electronics to prevent her from using them in off hours. I harp on her constantly about security and show her videos such as this one or To Catch a Predator. Hopefully when she is 20 she looks back and says 'Gee I sure am glad dad was so hard on me'. I thank god everyday for how hard my parents were on me. I wouldn't be where I am today without it I am sure.

-Arnie L

EDIT: As a side note, it doesn't help that these parents allow their young teen children to dress like hookers.

Seems that is hereditary - The mothers probably live their lives through the children.  Same can apply to boys as well.

My eldest daughter grew-up before the sillyphones were all the rage. But both her and the son were quite strictly monitored and there were only a certain amount of hours TV - Sillyphones are not bed warmers or midnight companions and went to "bed" when the kid went to bed.  Too much freedom and too much restraint is not good there should be a middle-way where both parent and kid compromise to a degree.  When kids are clearly educated on the consequences of certain things they seem to understand.  Many parents do not take the time to explain and force authority - that will never work because you make the kid rebellious.  Then, as you say, kids are copy-cats and you need to lead by example.

1 person likes this

In addition, cell phones are deemed safe from testing them on adult males with fully developed skulls, yet the average age for a child's first phone is 8.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.