Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

From the ashes we can build another day.

30 posts in this topic

The beginning of this thread is a disclaimer.

We begin with a near extinction level event resulting in a few thousand ppl left on the planet. Like in the movie "The Stand. They are scattered all over what's left of our planet. They are hanging by a thread and need to unite and work together to rebuild and survive.

there is no government infrastructure left and for the purpose of our discussion there is no FCC or any other governing authority left concerning radio law. Except for common sense.

I feel a need to start this way because of all the self-righteous authoritarian elitist as&@oles that will object to discussion of how to operate two way radio gear without regard to rules or regs of any jusidiction. I've seen preppers and survivalist types on radio hobby forums be scorned for asking questions without a license. And being as rude as they would dare to be with me for trying to help them.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss radios, scanners and things that we find in the ashes and rubble, what types of things to look for and how to program and operate them and what things are good for what objective. 

The rest of this thread will be determined by demand. Let's see where it goes. 

If you have call letters do not use them here. This because Google search will spit out your life story and your name and address too, to anybody that types your call sign.

Maybe you should give us some pointers. Because, I for one, know next to nothing about "what types of things to look for and how to program and operate them and what things are good for what objective."

That would be good.

Thanks.

Sounds like a good thread topic.

I was a year 2000 doomer, one of the fools who were convinced civilization would collapse after the year 2000. I became a survivalist and learned the skills I thought I would need to rebuild and live off the grid (and in the bush) in preparation. Water wheel to make a lathe which makes more accurate precision tools as well as driving scavenged Car generators/alternators to power basic electrical items. Blacksmithing welding to make and repair equipment. What I could eat, hunt, fish and gather as well as what I could plant.

I wasn't a preper, more of a on-the-fly survivalist who was prepared to make use of what was around. Where I lived was ideal (and still is ) as it is food self sufficient, a coal laden area full of water ways and trees with mountains to hide in along with cave networks to utilize. (it was thought limestone caves could filter radiation or minimize it).

I would have just scavenged radio equipment but without knowledge of the use or maintenance as soon as they broke I would be without coms. I would appreciate more knowledge if you are willing to make the time. After a nuclear conflict it was though the radio would be messed up for 6 months at least (as was the case because of some nuclear testing I was told) but I had read you could make direct line of sight arrays (tinfoil umbrella arrangements) to create a communications network.

There was a guy in my home-town who made his own illegal radio transmitter. They nic-named him Tangles because he hid the transmitter in his guttering making many loops of tangled wires hidden in them away from view. Powerful radio gear was forbidden in NZ without govt licensing etc and they had the radio detector man trying to track him down for months but he broadcast remotely from his jet boat in the river rather than being on site which made it harder. When he turned on his unit it made people's TV picture move six inches to the right people tell me.

My uncle had CB and a friend of his made an aerial array which could receive and transmit to the USA which he was told to take down soon afterwards. The guy who designed the aerial is till alive. I might ask him a few questions. It almost looked like a TIE fighter from Starwars sort of thing. Lots of fishing boat at the local port as well. Several had usual aerials. Circular band like a bike wheel(horizontally) with a small upright mast as well. Everyone had a theory.

Look forward to your knowledge.

Scavenging though the dump and garbage pickin on Tuesday night was the only way a gang of poor kids could have fun learning the electronics hobby. We would gather all the speakers and chassis of the old tvs and wired up our cabins with sound systems and lights. Being able to build from piles of parts and discarded stuff, modifying, combining like we did is known as hacking now.

its scary to me how dependent we are on the grid/net that's getting more and more invasive as we become dependent on it. And it's getting more and more prone to failure or misuse.

there is a bountiful surplus of the old analog stuff, the trend toward digital stuff has left on the market. This can accommodate a buildout of a community of decentralized networks cheaply. 

the old low tech stuff is less vulnerable to problems and is more serviceable. They are making things throwaway and too small to repair. They got it all squeezed into those little chips. And one good solar flare can wipe it out. The old stuff has a better chance of survival/ repairability. the old stuff doesn't need a network either. 

I have tube equipment stashed in a safe place, with diagrams and parts. That I can make work no matter what happens. 

Now about ham radio. It's only one small part of my radio electronics hobby. It's a good starting point. And there are many free resources online. But that's not all there is to the radio/electronics hobby.

the ham license is good thing to have to have to justify possession of equipment and for the study of basics. But it's also a database for a possible "round-up" similar to "gun registration" . (Could be misused) "silent running may be better"

ham radio offers a wide variety of options for voice image and data worldwide and local without a network. But it's legal use is severely limited. And after the storm we may need to bend a lot of rules and use common sense ..

You can have food radios and supply's plundered as the stuff begins to hit the fan. So plan on starting from nothing.

the basic requirement for using radio will be electricity. I spend a lot of time in the woods and have several solar/ battery arrangements hidden there, and using a downhill flow of a spring to power a wheel is one thing I'm looking at next. On the edge of the woods there are billboards with maintenance outlets unlocked. But these are not likely to have power in a crisis.

i am spacing my power systems so that I can add wifi repeaters from home to get to my spot. There are no other signals to compete with. Today I found a Bluetooth Craig pill type speaker for 15 usd that is getting hidden on a tree in my spot. The rest of it was built from discarded junk ppl gave me. 

I plan to add perimeter security to this with motion sensing wifi cams in the future to the wifi.

Edited by Radio

Scavenging though the dump and garbage pickin on Tuesday night was the only way a gang of poor kids could have fun learning the electronics hobby. We would gather all the speakers and chassis of the old tvs and wired up our cabins with sound systems and lights. Being able to build from piles of parts and discarded stuff, modifying, combining like we did is known as hacking now.

its scary to me how dependent we are on the grid/net that's getting more and more invasive as we become dependent on it. And it's getting more and more prone to failure or misuse.

there is a bountiful surplus of the old analog stuff, the trend toward digital stuff has left on the market. This can accommodate a buildout of a community of decentralized networks cheaply. 

the old low tech stuff is less vulnerable to problems and is more serviceable. They are making things throwaway and too small to repair. They got it all squeezed into those little chips. And one good solar flare can wipe it out. The old stuff has a better chance of survival/ repairability. the old stuff doesn't need a network either. 

I have tube equipment stashed in a safe place, with diagrams and parts. That I can make work no matter what happens. 

Now about ham radio. It's only one small part of my radio electronics hobby. It's a good starting point. And there are many free resources online. But that's not all there is to the radio/electronics hobby.

the ham license is good thing to have to have to justify possession of equipment and for the study of basics. But it's also a database for a possible "round-up" similar to "gun registration" . (Could be misused) "silent running may be better"

ham radio offers a wide variety of options for voice image and data worldwide and local without a network. But it's legal use is severely limited. And after the storm we may need to bend a lot of rules and use common sense ..

will an emp or carrington event effect tube technology in the old school radios   

In theory they will survive and even if they get zapped. They will be easier to repair at the component level than something with chips. Modern radios that are stored for emergency use can be stored in shielded eviorns and also survive. Again, in theory.

the best thing about the old stuff is that ppl give it away and may even pay you to get it out of the attic and basement. 

One of the oldest and simplest modes is morse code, it is the least vulnerable to high noise level and can get through the noise when nothing else can. And it can be used with a flash light or even a laser pointer. It's likely to be the first thing to rise up from the noise. It's used on shortwave frequencys that may be less vulnerable than the higher frequencys and don't require tower infrastructure to work. I think the higher frequencys used with our cellphones and uhf radio systems will have a tougher time with noise level than shortwave IMO.

remember what Scotty said in that Star Trek movie " the more they complicate the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain"

Circuitry is very simplistic and easy to build. Easy to build from scratch and can be expanded to AM easily.

Edited by Radio
Correction/addition

I know next to nothing but that is goin tonmy next step.learning radio signals,ham radios.a fareaway cage(i know i missed spelled that bad).but from what i hear it is against the law to  go below a certain frequency.im was wondering why?

There's no law against having the skills and being prepared. until the SHTF stay legal but be prepared to do what you have to when the time comes to chose common sense over radio law from a govt that may not exist anymore. 

We are assuming a scenario that there's few ppl left much less any govt. to enforce any rules. 

The rules about staying in your authorized band are to prevent chaos and interference to other services. There are good reasons for these rules under normal conditions. Stay within the rules and privileges of your license. And don't break any rules until it's absolutely necessary. International treaty provides for this in an emergency and supersedes any other rule by local authority including licenses. 

Edited by Radio
Addition

Thank you.i was just wondering why.these are skill i feel are nessecary if there we only a few people left

And then there's CB radio and it's darkside called freeband. I've seen many of these types of ppl that have technical abilitys beyond the typical ham and prefer the freedom from the elitist mentality. 

Ham ops seem to value their rules more than saving a life. If it comes down to saving life by breaking a rule by using an unauthorized freq. they seem to favor the loss of a life over breaking a precious rule. This mentality has been displayed in their forums regarding emergency use out of band. Survivalist, prepper types are shunned and labeled as tin foil hat nuts. Free thinkers and those who question govt. are better off not discussing it on the air. Some of us won't fit into the cookie cutter and are better off elsewhere.

there are five license free vhf channels that can be used for voice and next month there will be the go tenna to use with our cellphones. And also there is frs / gmrs on uhf.

you can be a ham and March like a civilian in the military, and go along with them until the SHTF . Then dial up cb or freeband when the time comes. Or just stay off the air until then. 

There is (in my area) a big Masonic influence in ham radio. Questioning or criticizing the lodge will get you ostracized (cast out) very fast. ( mistake I made )

Edited by Radio
Additional info

consider the possibilities of this device. I'm planning to use these for my group. http://www.gotenna.com  If they work out I'm gonna need 12 pairs of them. Smartphone cb radio on vhf is coming next month. No network needed. 

Guitar doc : when I think of the sorry state of corporate run media. we need more pirates to air the things they keep suppressed. there's one around here that relays infowars broadcast on 12160 and puts it out on  88.7 fm everyday along with local scanner traffic in the left channel. He's been doing this for over ten years with no problems. Now how about pirate TV? 

Edited by Radio
Spelling/ addition

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.