Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guitar Doc

Writing articles and cross linking

13 posts in this topic

I used to work for a site called Munication. I was contracted to write 3 articles a week until the funding ran out.

My "boss" used to E-mail me and tell me what was trending on the internet and ask me to write something about that topic as well in the hope of getting more search hits.

One of the things that was pointed out to me was linking other sites articles did little for us and a lot for them. It helped raise their SEO while doing almost nothing for ours. But cross linking our articles to other sites did a lot for us. My buddy made websites for a living in the professional circuit. One of his associates gave a list of 150 sites GuLP used to get them to the top of Goggle searches by cross linking stuff on GuLP to them. The effect is the web-spiders that look information and then rank in Google and other similar search engines find 150 times more information with your sites name on it than if you just published them on your own site.

If we want COP to grow and bring in more new people into the cover-up exposure scene we need to publish our own unique material and have other people cross link it to their sites rather than the other way around.

It isn't that hard. I advise most people just to write what they know about and anything over 250 words will do. Everything is interesting to someone. Even if you are a mechanic who knows about some car part which always fails when it shouldn't and can be bypassed or replaced with a better part that that will interest a portion of the population. It is easy to write about what you already know.

If you want better advertising revenue I was told Medical, Technology, Finance and Computer gaming ads pay the most. At one time I was asked to include as many references to them as possible to help increase ad revenue.

If you look at sites like Rense you see what I am talking about. A lot of those articles are very poorly written versions of something they have read somewhere else. It isn't plagiarism if you write it in your own words it seems. Most of those articles are just people trying to get more numbers and hits to their own sites and some people are paid to do it (those are the half assed written in 30 minutes ones). They are the people using CT to make money rather than using CT to change the world. I think we can do better.

Writing an article isn't hard, if it is something you enjoy or know about. Writing articles about things you don't know about can be a little more tricky and will involve at least 2 hours reading to produce something which is unique, and that is what gets the search hits and interest levels higher. Most of us have a deep interest on one or more subjects within CT, but even just reviewing all that has happened so far over 20 -30 articles will help get those search hits.

The format is pretty simple. Pick a subject (some like to pick a controversial topic because some people can't resist it) give a background and direction to your view on the subject. Justify your point of view (most people just use links) and either have a conclusion or simply expose what you have found out.

I am assuming most of us are in it to try and help the world be a better place by giving people the information they have been lacking to make better choices in their lives.

Self help, survivalism, what your government is doing that they are not telling you about or just the structures of things concealed by the businesses organizations who are using us to make money for themselves.

The more people we bring in the more material that can be generated.

I miss the professional people who used to be part of the cover-ups scene before they were attacked and trolled out. Doctors, scientists working on cutting edge projects, people with insider knowledge from finance and banking. If there is a feeling we lack credibility we need more people like them to come back to the scene knowing they won't be abuse out of hand.

Will you accept the challenge!

4 people like this

I've been wanting to tell ppl how to get their local news from a scanner and alternative means of communication and how to get off the grid every way possible. In my bug out/ hangout spot in the woods there's an ac outlet on a tree for example and some of the tricks I've learned over 40 years.

ive been on radio sites where they are so pro-authoritarian that you will get scolded for discussing survivalism techniques and things that they deem to be in the gray area of the law. And aren't very helpful unless you have a license ..

when the SHTF you will not get much help from 911 when its overloaded or down. And those rules and regs should not keep you from having a fleet of walkie talkies in your group or family.

2way radios are perfectly legal to own without a license so long as you don't transmit on them. And can be used as scanners until they are needed for a crisis. Don't count on your cellphone to work in an event. 

Getting help learning this stuff can be difficult because of the elitist attitude of these communitys frowning on those that don't want to be bothered with ham licenses but just want to have a means to communicate if the SHTF.

im here to help all those that I saw get treated rudely on those sites. they labeled me a tinfoil hat type 20 years ago for wanting to see everyone prepared and ready and self sufficient for the " day 911 is broke and we have to fend for our selves and may have to bend a few rules.

the problem I see with it though is that as soon as something got going, trolls will fly here in waves to ruin it. And I don't want bring trouble to this site. 

but I think there should be a topic or category or help thread on this stuff or better yet a private chat room on this site.

the oath keepers had a very nice/friendly room for this stuff 5yrs ago. 

and there's even the possibility some of us might be within radio range of each other. We are all easy pickings' on the web but what if we started forming local private arymesh networks and start linking them together in a network. And start using go tennas for our phones? This would severely if not eliminate privacy/spying issues in that they would have use more resources to get in. That is if they even knew you were there to begin with.

im not trying to promote anything illegal here, I'm just pointing out the reality that has existed since the freeband days of cb.

There will always be that "other world" that is hidden and will be the last few antennas still standing after the storm.

I think the banning of guest posting makes the trolls controllable. They have to be members and we get to see who they are. (and indeed run a trace on them if required) I notice member only sites don't have bad troll problems on the whole.

I am interested in HAM because if the net went down we can use it to "hook-up".

A couple of kids in Australia did it. In some of the more isolated areas it is all they really have to communicate. Sometimes they call up a friend with a hone connection to make a remote call.  A couple of kids tried to network up over a HAM radio so they could play a game against each other on their computers. (about 10 years back I read this). They had to write a program to initiate the "handshake" but it worked. I wondered if a HAM radio internet could be made as it seems highly possible in the near future we might need biometric ID (or something like that) to get online.  I have seen a radio internet thing going around a few years back when people were into canteenas. Looked like a way to have our own net independent of the providers.  Some people might even know how to encrypt it.

I agree. some places I used to go had a "private" area on them only able to be seen by members below the level of a google search so nothing could be seen of searched that they wrote.

Edited by Guitar Doc

The idea is great to cross link articles - I do it a lot because I visit other forums who are not CT forums but who have people that are interested - I also link stuff from time to time on Twitter -  but there are inherent problems.   

Example:

There is an interesting article on forum A you cross link the article and post a "teaser" on forum / site B C D E etc.  While the people / members / posters on A know each other to a degree and may post some banter which is understood by the locals, the visiting folk do not get the gist thereof and find some stuff offensive.  Now the poster from B attacks you on that forum because of something someone on A said which he/she/it found offensive. A big fight ensues on B with posters joining who know sweet Fanny Adams about subject or subject matter.  Result hereof is that both forums / sites loose as a result. 

Yes, I am well aware of the fact that this example does not represent the norm, but I have seen this happen on many an occasion.  One should take cognizance of the possibility and try and link items / articles / posts which would in a way fit into the community to whom you are bringing that "gift"

If done correctly one is sure to increase the members here as well.  You may even find posters from here becoming members on another forum / site.

Writing an article, Guitar Doc, is not all that difficult but I have found that one should stick with a subject you are familiar with and not try and write an article based on some lame-ass Google search result.  Unfortunately, the material I have written is mostly for other people and organisations who may feel offended if I make their data and research public.  Also the subject matter will not really fit within the COP paradigm.

Anyone interested in a mini-MBA? I could write you a tome on how to start - run and screw-up a business.  LOL

Edit

I agree. some places I used to go had a "private" area on them only able to be seen by members below the level of a google search so nothing could be seen of searched that they wrote.

Jip, the one forum I visit has an area where a poster must have X amount of posts and have been a member for Y amount of time and it is password protected.

On this software (IP) which this forum is on it is easy to make a sub forum which cannot be seen by guests and can only be entered with some strict criteria.  But, even then I have found that much esteemed posters copy and paste from that area into a public area which you cannot really control.

Yes any thing is possible at low data rate. Long distance has bandwith issues and there are wifi freqs for ham only all over the microwave spectrum that can go much faster with wider channels.

but there's the fcc rules and regs that prohibit every thing except for approved ham related activity. And everyone must have a license and then there's the self appointed radio police that feel it's their duty to nit pick about rules and regs and will turn you in in a second. They have this march like a civilian in the military attitude. And govt. is always right no mater what. 

And the use of call letters is required every 10 mins. And there are ppl that will actually sit there with a stop watch and a tape recorder to turn you in to the fcc. And your license info is publicly available on Google. No encryption. No commercial use( illegal to order pizza!)

but when SHTF there is nothing keeping your radio in the ham band. There maybe no more gov infrastructure or fcc also. I'm talking a big fan and tons of dung scenario here. 10.5!! 

But under routine conditions we have the ability to do much the same stuff on a local level with legal 802.11s arymesh combined with vhf murs go tennas in private transparent networks that grow in to webs as they merge with each other after they become trusted. All we need to do is start spinning our web. We can link it into the Internet through some buffering relaying techniques like a good firewall or even a human buffer. 

I know ppl afraid of the perils of the Internet for them and their kids that love this idea.

i have heard low speed packet going back and forth in the cb freeband for years. 

Now think about how hard it is for them nowadays to enforce anything using good old fashioned radio these days. Someone has to get out of a chair to go find it. They are likely to go back to the low hanging fruit on the Internet.

so now for all the ham ops. Out there seething at me here ya go! ?

Edited by Radio
Add

I never started a thread here before. So I'm going to get my paper and pen and try to get some thing refined today. I have poor writing skills and it will take me while. Any suggestions are welcome from mods or admin before I post. I think given the danger of troll waves bombarding the site.

in fact maybe the two previous post should be deleted til we see what shep thinks? 

Hello there Guitar Doc.

You have jumped right out front! Yes! You understand the concept of "the build" rather than "the lift." I have always been one to say, "use your words." When we manifest our ideas (as jumbled as they are in our heads sometimes), we first allow them form to ourselves. Have you ever noticed how self-empowered you yourself feel when for the first time you have been able to manifest to words exactly what you were processing in your neuropaths? Fantastical, huh?

I gave you a "green thumbs up" on this thread.  Make sure when you use that voice, you are manifesting your ego, your form, not just "lifting" another's.  I have always been one to want to check my sources before I paid anything forward. Heck, at one time I stopped paying myself forward, for I felt what did it matter what life meant to me. With that said, I do not mean to not ever pay anyone's work forward. As with the OP, I feel that to build COP and keep on building COP, that us posters have to trust more ourselves and at least put in our "own words" what someone else is saying. That means that you have enough integrity in yourself to overlay your ego, your filters, to what is already being said.

Guitar Doc, what excellent skills you developed and I appreciate you passing them on. That is the kind of "Pay It Forward" I like to be part of.

^V^ Sunpar ^V^

1 person likes this

but I think there should be a topic or category or help thread on this stuff or better yet a private chat room on this site.

Radio..We do have a chat room on this site. Its the button at the top of the page that reads "Chat." As a registered member of COP you can create your own room in chat and password protect it if you want to have a private conversation or an invitation only discussion.

We have been throwing around the idea of periodically hosting chat "shows" with a guest speaker. There are a few logistical issues we need to work through before we can do shows, but it is something I would like to see included in COP's future.

I think the banning of guest posting makes the trolls controllable. They have to be members and we get to see who they are. (and indeed run a trace on them if required) I notice member only sites don't have bad troll problems on the whole.

I am interested in HAM because if the net went down we can use it to "hook-up".

A couple of kids in Australia did it. In some of the more isolated areas it is all they really have to communicate. Sometimes they call up a friend with a hone connection to make a remote call.  A couple of kids tried to network up over a HAM radio so they could play a game against each other on their computers. (about 10 years back I read this). They had to write a program to initiate the "handshake" but it worked. I wondered if a HAM radio internet could be made as it seems highly possible in the near future we might need biometric ID (or something like that) to get online.  I have seen a radio internet thing going around a few years back when people were into canteenas. Looked like a way to have our own net independent of the providers.  Some people might even know how to encrypt it.

I'm also interested in HAM. Around here old CF radios can be had very cheaply and there are probably some good hacks to bring them up to shortwave capability. Of course, there are rules in place now that wouldn't matter in a SHTF scenario. Pirate radio should fall into the same category. I've also read  that the old BB system on dial up might be viable as the older telecom wiring is still in place but that would depend if the switching office still exists. I've got VOIP but can one even get a landline any other way?

Also, I remember your article on banana republics (United Fruit Company?) and would enjoy reading it again if you care to repost it. It's a good lesson for CTers that might think conspiracy is a newer concept when it fact it's as old as the subspecies known as "greedy bastards."

Hello there Guitar Doc.

You have jumped right out front! Yes! You understand the concept of "the build" rather than "the lift." I have always been one to say, "use your words." When we manifest our ideas (as jumbled as they are in our heads sometimes), we first allow them form to ourselves. Have you ever noticed how self-empowered you yourself feel when for the first time you have been able to manifest to words exactly what you were processing in your neuropaths? Fantastical, huh?

I gave you a "green thumbs up" on this thread.  Make sure when you use that voice, you are manifesting your ego, your form, not just "lifting" another's.  I have always been one to want to check my sources before I paid anything forward. Heck, at one time I stopped paying myself forward, for I felt what did it matter what life meant to me. With that said, I do not mean to not ever pay anyone's work forward. As with the OP, I feel that to build COP and keep on building COP, that us posters have to trust more ourselves and at least put in our "own words" what someone else is saying. That means that you have enough integrity in yourself to overlay your ego, your filters, to what is already being said.

Guitar Doc, what excellent skills you developed and I appreciate you passing them on. That is the kind of "Pay It Forward" I like to be part of.

^V^ Sunpar ^V^

I should probably add I was really bad at writing on the internet at first. All my first attempts were walls of text which got no love...or readers either.

I looked at people who wrote more followed pieces and found out how to be a more effective communicator. There are a few big tips.

On the net most people have more of a limited attention span that people who regularly read books. A wall of text to them looks likes a 30ft tall wave when you don't have a surf board. So break it down into smaller points or just smaller sentences.

Add a few spaces between them and suddenly a wall of text looks an easy read.

We can only hold so many concepts in our heads at once so keep them separated by a few lines of fresh air and it will "sink in" more effectively. Short to the point is better than long winded.

I have a rambling way of thinking so many of my ideas lead into each other. On occasion I have found a whole paragraphs as a sentence. I break it up into smaller parts with a few full stops.

I am really bad at spelling, so spell check is my friend. I am UK English raised so that colours my language but when I have been on more oriented US sites I use a US spell checker (they don't have some words the UK version does. Some are spelt differently. No longer had I learnt something, instead I had leaned something.) Seemed strange at the time but I am now used to it. So play to your audience.

More advanced techniques are all about drawing your reader in. Make them laugh ( maybe not so useful in a very serious piece as it can be a distraction)  and relating personal experiences gives them something to relate to. My former employer also said research had said things written is the form of a story were known to be highly effective. I was also told to use "proper English" (from a French guy!) as poor use of the language lead to people thinking you might not be so smart so psychologically you might not come across as not as credible as someone who used "Proper" English.

Going "All In"

I watched some people who were very popular on sites and they used more sophisticated techniques almost directly inputting concepts into people.....using things like this....to emphasise points. Use of capitalization in Defiance of the rules of English to get those words into people's minds. Sometimes I do it by accident. I used to leave them in to see who was paying attention and see if they would ask why when my finger Slipped on the shift key.

Double spacing between lines.

Makes it it seem like you have something important being said.

Triple spacing

Over a page

Makes it seem spacey

----------------------------------------

A divider can help in separating sections or concepts.

One sentence for each new idea is another thing some people use.

I used to think some of those techniques were a bit "dirty" (yes I am one of those nuts who does that in real life sometimes with my fingers.) but if you really think you have something worth saying then you are prepared to use More Effective Communication.

Use of colours can be handy along with bold text.

There is a whole branch of psychological implications associated with colours. Just don't forget how they will look against the background colour.

I met a guy on the CHANI site who designed those maps you see in buildings as floor guides. He filled me in on the colour thing. We are keyed to certain colours through evolutionary processes it seems. Red and Yellow and Black  grab us (don't used yellow on a white background as I have just found).

While these techniques might see a bit invasive or pushy

if you think you really have something important to say

then communicating it the most effectively will serve you

better than not using them

It all comes down to how important what you think you have to say is to you. After all the people pushing trash use a lot of these techniques to push and drive their material and it tickles my funny bone to think I am playing back their techniques against them.

(Thanks to Radio on the information about radio. I am a bit of an information addict I think.)

PS proof reading can save a few edits. (edit #3 after seeing a few mistakes. My wife is a grammar Nazi. I almost feel her looking over my shoulder even when she is not there "suggesting" I fix that word.)

Edited by Guitar Doc

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.