Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guitar Doc

Know Thyself

3 posts in this topic

I wrote this a while back for another site but I still own the intellectual property. A fascinating journey I am still on.

Know Thyself

Sounds simple enough doesn’t it?
We are told the start of progress happens when a person knows themselves. It was one of the primary objectives of Gnosis, to know thyself. We all know ourselves pretty well. We have known ourselves since birth…..or do we?

Here is a basic personality test.

Favourite world: Do you prefer to focus on the outer world or on your own inner world?
This is called Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I).
Information: Do you prefer to focus on the basic information you take in or do you prefer to interpret and add meaning?
This is called Sensing (S) or Intuition (N) .
Decisions: When making decisions, do you prefer to first look at logic and consistency or first look at the people and special circumstances?
This is called Thinking (T) or feeling (F)
Structure: In dealing with the outside world, do you prefer to get things decided or do you prefer to stay open to new information and options?
This is called Judging (J) or Perceiving (P)

Here are the basic descriptions for each “Type”

ISTJ The Duty Fulfiller
Serious and quiet, interested in security and peaceful living. Extremely thorough, responsible, and dependable. Well-developed powers of concentration. Usually interested in supporting and promoting traditions and establishments. Well-organized and hard working, they work steadily towards identified goals. They can usually accomplish any task once they have set their mind to it.
ISTPThe Mechanic
Quiet and reserved, interested in how and why things work. Excellent skills with mechanical things. Risk-takers who they live for the moment. Usually interested in and talented at extreme sports. Uncomplicated in their desires. Loyal to their peers and to their internal value systems, but not overly concerned with respecting laws and rules if they get in the way of getting something done. Detached and analytical, they excel at finding solutions to practical problems.
ISFJThe Nurturer
Quiet, kind, and conscientious. Can be depended on to follow through. Usually puts the needs of others above their own needs. Stable and practical, they value security and traditions. Well-developed sense of space and function. Rich inner world of observations about people. Extremely perceptive of other’s feelings. Interested in serving others.

ISFP The Artist
Quiet, serious, sensitive and kind. Do not like conflict, and not likely to do things which may generate conflict. Loyal and faithful. Extremely well-developed senses, and aesthetic appreciation for beauty. Not interested in leading or controlling others. Flexible and open-minded. Likely to be original and creative. Enjoy the present moment.

INFJThe Protector
Quietly forceful, original, and sensitive. Tend to stick to things until they are done. Extremely intuitive about people, and concerned for their feelings. Well-developed value systems which they strictly adhere to. Well-respected for their perseverance in doing the right thing. Likely to be individualistic, rather than leading or following.

INFPThe Idealist
Quiet, reflective, and idealistic. Interested in serving humanity. Well-developed value system, which they strive to live in accordance with. Extremely loyal. Adaptable and laid-back unless a strongly-held value is threatened. Usually talented writers. Mentally quick, and able to see possibilities. Interested in understanding and helping people.

INTJThe Scientist
Independent, original, analytical, and determined. Have an exceptional ability to turn theories into solid plans of action. Highly value knowledge, competence, and structure. Driven to derive meaning from their visions. Long-range thinkers. Have very high standards for their performance, and the performance of others. Natural leaders, but will follow if they trust existing leaders.

INTP The Thinker
Logical, original, creative thinkers. Can become very excited about theories and ideas. Exceptionally capable and driven to turn theories into clear understandings. Highly value knowledge, competence and logic. Quiet and reserved, hard to get to know well. Individualistic, having no interest in leading or following others.

ESTPThe Doer
Friendly, adaptable, action-oriented. “Doers” who are focused on immediate results. Living in the here-and-now, they’re risk-takers who live fast-paced lifestyles. Impatient with long explanations. Extremely loyal to their peers, but not usually respectful of laws and rules if they get in the way of getting things done. Great people skills.

ESTJ The Guardian
Practical, traditional, and organized. Likely to be athletic. Not interested in theory or abstraction unless they see the practical application. Have clear visions of the way things should be. Loyal and hard-working. Like to be in charge. Exceptionally capable in organizing and running activities. “Good citizens” who value security and peaceful living.

ESFP The Performer
People-oriented and fun-loving, they make things more fun for others by their enjoyment. Living for the moment, they love new experiences. They dislike theory and impersonal analysis. Interested in serving others. Likely to be the centre of attention in social situations. Well-developed common sense and practical ability.

ESFJ The Caregiver
Warm-hearted, popular, and conscientious. Tend to put the needs of others over their own needs. Feel strong sense of responsibility and duty. Value traditions and security. Interested in serving others. Need positive reinforcement to feel good about themselves. Well-developed sense of space and function.

ENFPThe Inspirer
Enthusiastic, idealistic, and creative. Able to do almost anything that interests them. Great people skills. Need to live life in accordance with their inner values. Excited by new ideas, but bored with details. Open-minded and flexible, with a broad range of interests and abilities.

ENFJ The Giver
Popular and sensitive, with outstanding people skills. Externally focused, with real concern for how others think and feel. Usually dislike being alone. They see everything from the human angle, and dislike impersonal analysis. Very effective at managing people issues, and leading group discussions. Interested in serving others, and probably place the needs of others over their own needs.

ENTP The Visionary
Creative, resourceful, and intellectually quick. Good at a broad range of things. Enjoy debating issues, and may be into “one-up-manship”. They get very excited about new ideas and projects, but may neglect the more routine aspects of life. Generally outspoken and assertive. They enjoy people and are stimulating company. Excellent ability to understand concepts and apply logic to find solutions.

ENTJ The Executive
Assertive and outspoken – they are driven to lead. Excellent ability to understand difficult organizational problems and create solid solutions. Intelligent and well-informed, they usually excel at public speaking. They value knowledge and competence, and usually have little patience with inefficiency or disorganization.

These are the 16 archetypes that most people [80-90%] fall into. But these are not yourself, just how your habits rule you. In seeing there are billions of Unique individuals on the planet we are puzzled at there only being 16 archetypes which roughly cover and describe with great accuracy 90% of the population. How could we be so simple you ask yourself?

Well it isn’t. These are just how you think about yourself and your programming you never realized existed. But in no way are these actually you, just one facet and a deeply insane one at that. By insane I mean Believing something that is not true as true. That is insane and the insane person thinks they are perfectly sane such is the grip of insanity upon them.

The insane facets of ourselves rule when we are not in control of our consciousness. For the most part we actually believe the lies and fictions of ourselves over the truth of ourselves because the Lie gives us what we want. Comfort, peace, the understanding we are clever, exciting, popular and desirable. The Actual Truth is unpalatable for most of us.

From the birth of psychoanalysis we see Psychologists examining the unconscious mind, that which we do not see or choose to not see. What they found was humans are irrational but believe for the most part they are rational.

So how do we see our True Self and is it even possible?

“By their fruits you will know them”

Observing the self
This is how we examine what we are and are able to eliminate errors and bad programming, but more importantly regain control of our consciousness. When we observe ourselves we immediately find we have split into two parts, the observer and the observed. The observer is the consciousness, it is entirely unaffected by anything that happens to the Observed part of the person, it lives in a pure instant, a perfect moment where it experiences all there is to be observed.

The journey I have been on has been one of self discovery and I am far from finished. I have only just started to get to the serious part where I have to apply myself 100%. It is a shameful journey because seeing our True Selves is to see the side we don’t know about. The part of ourselves we lie about pretending we are the best of all things. It seems painful and humiliating but it is the only way to integrate the entire person and eliminate bad programming and/or errors. Think of it as hard core mind surgery with the aim of setting a person’s consciousness free.

In this process I observe myself 100% of the time so I can see the flawed alter egos we all have but are unaware of. These alter egos are so good at lying to us to stop them from looking bad/insane we don’t notice them. In not seeing them our own worst faults that hold us back from achieving our true potential. It is important to note these flawed alter egos are not ourselves, they are bad programming and automatic reactions. But we often think they are. In observing myself in daily life I am able to unlock my consciousness freeing myself from the previous false constants of accepted belief systems and reactionary behaviours.

The disturbing part is how we never realize what bad people we are as we only want to believe we are all things good and acceptable. In my life I have always hindered myself without realizing as the hidden part of person often wreaks havoc at unexpected moments.

Accepting the truth of oneself is too much for most people I think. The mind seeks comfort in the lie of the self where we are Saints and everyone else is at fault except us. It is very confronting and involves exposing yourself to social conditions and observing your reactions from naked jealousy, to wilful pride and everything in between.

I am not entirely sure where it will end for me and how I will be changed by the experience. But it is the only path which leads to my mental freedom. What I want to do or what I think has worth doing in this life will change I suspect as many of these things are tied to false belief systems. It is becoming a new habit, to be in observation of the self 100% and understanding of it.

For those who wish to attempt this kind of thing be warned, once you start you can never back down.

Happy Journey.

I wrote that over a year ago.

The thing I found out was horrifying and empowering. We are often separated from or strengths by our Ego (the corrector sub-program I call it now). The "nice" guy/gal part of our projected personality is relatively powerless. It doesn't want to break the perception of being "nice". Our strengths and creativity are in the darkside. To get things done we often draw upon that side as it can do things socially unacceptable. One of the features of our hardware and the drive to survive and breed. We are taught (we certainly are as part of our programming conditioning in NZ) to be the nice person which renders us relativity powerless. Under stress and the need to survive we draw on the side of us which can do anything without remorse regret or even the slightest consideration for others or even ourselves. Personally that part of me is the "closer" and when it comes out it does whatever is require to accomplish the goal and it doesn't care nor have consideration even for me, all it is focused on is completing the task/goal even if I am "burned" in the process.

Because this side of us is hidden we often don't see it. I got to see it in reviewing what I had written on CT sites when I felt I was attacked. In doing so I saw we conceal the parts of us our Ego(the corrector program) doesn't want to accept. Everyone else sees is but not us. When you see people acting hypocritically they don't know it. Because we have had these parts of us hidden from our consciousness when they come out they are unbalanced and often out of control because we are not used to them nor controlling them in the processes we use them in.

The future of humanity is doomed if we don't understand ourselves. We will simply repeat all the the mistakes over time we always have. Understanding our personal psychology (and psychology of our fellow man and woman) is key to breaking the cycle we have been locked in over thousands of years. Once we understand we see there is no longer a need to fight each other as we are really fighting our bad psychology and flawed programming.

We are for the most part a collection of accepted programming. In the 1960 radical psychologist thought we could find out true selves by removing all the dross and bad programming inflicted on us as a result of trauma. What they found was more surprising.   Instead of there being a core of the real us once everything else had been stripped away there was nothing. We are a collection of affectations and programming and bad programming as the result of traumatic events in our lives. We are made up if you like.

The bonus of going through those processes was the person once were stripped of all their bad programming was able to be who they wanted to be without all those hindrances of detrimental programming hampering them unconsciously. Apparently you have to break a few eggs to make a better omelette.

If you look at the psychological courses people take to become more successful in their lives you see all they do is remove the negative programming. We are what we eat....more along the lines we are what we believe. People pay thousands of dollar to become those successful people. All they are really doing is remoulding how they thing about themselves and entering it as programming to be used by the subconscious. A useful trick.

The other side of the coin is the people who are manipulating us. They are also programming you. They want you to be powerless because then you won't resist them and their desires at your expense. Be careful of what you choose to believe. It has more of an effect than you realize.

1 person likes this

A difficult journey for sure. I think we are our true selves when we are small.
I remember being confident with what I knew to be true and frustrated that others didn't see things the way I did.
Going to school changed that. I realized I was very different and had to pretend to be like others or deal with the ridicule.
I didn't always fake it successfully. When I failed I withdrew again and again until I was so reclusive there was no reason anymore.
That was a bit scary but necessary I think. I no longer care what strangers think but loved ones can still crush me.
I have a long way to go to before before I get back what I pushed down and hid from others and from myself.

Nice post. I enjoy your writing.

INFJ btw. :wink:

2 people like this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.