Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fourth echelon

Nicotine-chomping bacteria may hold key to anti-smoking therapy

4 posts in this topic

A new study from scientists at The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI) explores a bacterial enzyme that might be used as a drug candidate to help people quit smoking. The research shows that this enzyme can be recreated in lab settings and possesses a number of promising characteristics for drug development.

"Our research is in the early phase of drug development process, but the study tells us the enzyme has the right properties to eventually become a successful therapeutic," said Kim Janda, the Ely R. Callaway Jr. Professor of Chemistry and member of the Skaggs Institute for Chemical Biology at TSRI.

The new research, published online ahead of print on August 6 in the Journal of the American Chemical Society, offers a possible alternative to current smoking cessation aids, which are shown to fail in at least 80 to 90 percent of smokers. The idea behind an enzyme therapy would be to seek out and destroy nicotine before it reaches the brain -- depriving a person of the "reward" of nicotine that can trigger relapse into smoking.

For more than 30 years, Janda and his colleagues have struggled to create such an enzyme in the lab, but they recently ran across a potential enzyme found in nature -- NicA2 from the bacteria known as Pseudomonas putida. It turns out this bacterium -- originally isolated from soil in a tobacco field -- consumes nicotine as its sole source of carbon and nitrogen.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/08/150806160954.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All im going to say is this. Nicotine withdrawal is 5% of the problem when quitting smoking. the Rest is 95% Habit and Brainwashing. Anti-Smoking Treatments that require you to spend money never work. Because they work on that 5% instead of the 95% :D

Edited by Ukshep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All im going to say is this. Nicotine withdrawal is 5% of the problem when quitting smoking. the Rest is 95% Habit and Brainwashing. Anti-Smoking Treatments that require you to spend money never work. Because they work on that 5% instead of the 95% :D

Yup. I quit cold turkey when I found out I was pregnant. It wasn't that difficult and many years later I don't smoke as a habit...only socially if I'm out drinking and that's about a pack or two a year. You can wake up the next morning have your coffee and not even think about lighting up. Smoking full time would be way too expensive! Someday I'll break my computer habit but not anytime soon.....

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.