Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fourth echelon

EPA Accidentally Spills Millions Of Gallons Of Waste, Turning River Orange

4 posts in this topic

DENVER (AP) — A million-gallon mine waste spill that sent a plume of orange-ish muck down a river in southwest Colorado on Thursday was caused by a federal mine cleanup crew.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said that a cleanup team was working with heavy equipment Wednesday to secure an entrance to the Gold King Mine. Workers instead released an estimated 1 million gallons of mine waste into Cement Creek.

"The project was intended to pump and treat the water and reduce metals pollution flowing out of the mine," agency spokesman Rich Mylott said in a statement.

The creek runs into the Animas River, which then flows into the San Juan River in New Mexico and joins the Colorado River in Utah.

Officials emphasized that there was no threat to drinking water from the spill. But downstream water agencies were warned to avoid Animas water until the plume passes, said David Ostrander, director of EPA's emergency response program in Denver.

Officials weren't sure how long it would take the plume to dissipate, Ostrander said. The acidic sludge is made of heavy metal and soil, which could irritate the skin, he said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/million-gallon-waste-spill-turns-colorado-river-orange_55c41cfbe4b0d9b743dbb00c?kvcommref=mostpopular

sick penguin emoticon

Now if a mining company had an "accident" like this, they would be fined millions upon millions of dollars...

It is safe to assume that no one will be found guilty of negligence since it was the EPA's own who caused this environmental hazard. 

So will the EPA be drinking that water?

Maybe someone should pull a erin brockovich on them and see how quickly they spit out that water.

Even 100 years ago the locals would have pulled guns and shot people who did that to their water.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.