Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roadtoad2

Gulf of Tonkin 51 years ago today

7 posts in this topic

I guess I'm the only one here that was in Vietnam on that fateful day.

http://www.thenation.com/article/august-4-1964-the-gulf-of-tonkin-incident-sparks-american-escalation-in-vietnam/

I believe you were there  I have seen your other posts. The gulf of Tonkin was a false flag operation. But US involvement in the war in Vietnam goes back to the 40s. 

The ultimate betrayal by the American government to Vietnam happened in 1945 and led us on a path to the Vietnamese war .  Ho Chi Minh was loyal to  Allied cause during World War II. He wrote a letter to Truman asking for backing for a new Vietnamese government. Truman ignored that plea and let the French colonial rule take back over .

"On February 16th, 1945 Ho Chi Minh wrote a letter to President Truman asking for American assistance in gaining Vietnamese freedom. The letter closed with the remarks: 

We ask what has been graciously granted to the Philippines.  Like the Philippines our goal is full independence and full cooperation with the UNITED STATES.  We will do our best to make this independence and cooperation profitable to the whole world.

I am dear Mr. PRESIDENT,

Respectfully Yours,

Ho Chi Minh

The letter was not declassified until 1972.

For the full text of this letter, and others, see:

Collection of Letters by Ho Chi Minh

In 1945 Ho Chi Minh declared Vietnamese Independence, and conflict between the French and the Vietnamese people officially began. 

The Declaration of Independence of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam starts: "

http://www.rationalrevolution.net/war/american_involvement_in_vietnam.htm

What bothers me is most people won't look past the Tokin incident in their  ill informed  rush to judgment .

Edited by Falling down
2 people like this

I'm one of the younger guys who does know that U.S. involvement in Vietnam dates back to the late 1940's.  I also remember seeing several military headstones with years like 1954, 1956, etc.  In addition, the markings on their headstones indicated service in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam.  Or sometimes it was just WWII/Vietnam, or Vietnam.

I'm one of the younger guys who does know that U.S. involvement in Vietnam dates back to the late 1940's.  I also remember seeing several military headstones with years like 1954, 1956, etc.  In addition, the markings on their headstones indicated service in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam.  Or sometimes it was just WWII/Vietnam, or Vietnam.

The headstone you saw from 1954 was for  James (  earthquake mcgoon) McGovern  who was  shot down delivering supplies to the French Garrison at    Dienbienphu  in May 1954 .

The second fatalities I know of happened in 1959 and were a Major Buis  and Master Sergeant  Ovnand they were  machined gunned when a movie was stopped called theThe Tattered Dress" to change film reels. A Vietnamese  civilian and a 8 year old  Vietnamese civilian boy were also killed  in that attack. 

The first American to die in Vietnam worked for the OSS his name was Lieutenant Colonel Dewey and was shot down accidentally by Ho Chi Minh's forces .

Sorry I cannot supply you with a link, I got that information out of a source old people like me are familiar with it's called a book . Lol

Edited by Falling down

Prayers for our brothers that were drafted and killed.... may happen again soon if we don't change some shit fast

Naw, I've studied all of this all along. The guy actually responsible for Vietnam was Winston Churchill, At the conference at Yalta in '45,

about a month before FDR died, the leaders  decided that all countries would be run by the members of that Country, except Churchill knew how much

Degauel wanted Vietnam, so he gave it to him,we took over later in '54. First American casualty was a driver for Henry Cabot Lodge, an Airforce TSGT,

in '54 or '55.

Funniest one, was , in 45, when all the Japanese troops were ordered to stand down, and, were just laying around in Saigon, waiting for the ships to take them home the new Viet cong were attacking all around town. So, Macarthur gave weapons to the Japanese, and let them fight the VC.

Edited by roadtoad2
spelling

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.