Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Fourth echelon

What turns someone into a conspiracy theorist?

27 posts in this topic

Study to look at why some are more 'receptive' to such theories

Conspiracy theorists aren’t "mad" they just have certain “intellectual character traits” that make them believe certain things, a professor has said.

Quassim Cassam, a professor of philosophy at the University of Warwick, has launched a new study into what makes people believe in certain theories – and why such theories could push people to extremes such as joining Isis.

He believes that some people are more vulnerable to “intellectual vices” such as dogmatism, gullibility and close mindedness and this in turn makes them more likely to listen to extreme "alternative" sources of information.

He told The Independent: “The other explanation is that that these people are literally mad or mentally ill but I don’t really go for that theory.

“For example take 9/11 conspiracy theorists. Why do they hold onto their conspiracy theory despite the fact that there seems to be overwhelming evidence that it wasn’t an American government conspiracy to bring down the towers?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/what-turns-someone-into-a-conspiracy-theorist-study-to-look-at-why-some-are-more-receptive-to-such-theories-10427940.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+C2C-InTheNews+(Feed+-+Coast+to+Coast+-+In+the+News)

I haven't read this yet, but I very much dislike the linking of "conspiracy theorists" with ISIS. I'm sorry, sounds like another lame attempt at saying theorists are the same, and just as dangerous, as known terrorists. Bull#$#@$

Ok, not entirely lame. I guess there really are Islamic theorists. Of course there had to be, that think the West is totally out to get them. Sadly, it's not as if they would have none of that if they weren't predisposed to hatred of all things not Muslim, and the subjugation of those.

Still irks me that they can lump the more "mainstream theorists ;-) in the same category as the ISIS psychopaths.

:balk2:

Edited by BlueHawK

I haven't read this yet, but I very much dislike the linking of "conspiracy theorists" with ISIS. I'm sorry, sounds like another lame attempt at saying theorists are the same, and just as dangerous, as known terrorists. Bull#$#@$

no worries, FWIW, i dont support this article, just thought it would be an interesting read. i posted on another ct forum and it got deleted lolzz

1 person likes this

no worries, FWIW, i dont support this article, just thought it would be an interesting read. i posted on another ct forum and it got deleted lolzz

Glad you did! 8-) It's important that we can see stuff like this where we are painted into the same groups as people that are considered so insane, right? Sort of the "homegrown (meaning white supremacists, etc.) terrorists". isn't it?

Study to look at why some are more 'receptive' to such theories

Conspiracy theorists aren’t "mad" they just have certain “intellectual character traits” that make them believe certain things, a professor has said.

Quassim Cassam, a professor of philosophy at the University of Warwick, has launched a new study into what makes people believe in certain theories – and why such theories could push people to extremes such as joining Isis.

He believes that some people are more vulnerable to “intellectual vices” such as dogmatism, gullibility and close mindedness and this in turn makes them more likely to listen to extreme "alternative" sources of information.

He told The Independent: “The other explanation is that that these people are literally mad or mentally ill but I don’t really go for that theory.

“For example take 9/11 conspiracy theorists. Why do they hold onto their conspiracy theory despite the fact that there seems to be overwhelming evidence that it wasn’t an American government conspiracy to bring down the towers?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/what-turns-someone-into-a-conspiracy-theorist-study-to-look-at-why-some-are-more-receptive-to-such-theories-10427940.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+C2C-InTheNews+(Feed+-+Coast+to+Coast+-+In+the+News)

:angry::JSfrXsb:

Edited by fedthehellup

Professor Cassam’s study, which is funded by the Arts and Humanity Research Council, will start in April 2016 and run for 18 months.

The Arts and Humanity Research Council is linked to Research Councils UK.

Each year the Research Councils invest around £3 billion in research covering the full spectrum of academic disciplines from the medical and biological sciences to astronomy, physics, chemistry and engineering, social sciences, economics, environmental sciences and the arts and humanities.

http://www.rcuk.ac.uk/

As always, follow the money. Research is the best money can buy with an elite peer review group. I'm not a theorist, just cynical. All I see are palms and they are very greasy.

I have never seen myself as a conspiracy theorist, I only see my self as a realist .

Sticks and stones may brake my bones but names will never hurt me !

They can call me what they want ! I know who and what I am .

I started seeking truth in the early 1970s when I found out that governments lie . If researching a lie makes one a conspiracy theorist; just then let it be and consider the source  . 

This I know . The words conspiracy and theory and or theorist are words used by meinstream to demonise truth .

Note : I did not miss spell meinstream by definition . Just saying .

1 person likes this

I have never seen myself as a conspiracy theorist, I only see my self as a realist .

Sticks and stones may brake my bones but names will never hurt me !

They can call me what they want ! I know who and what I am .

I started seeking truth in the early 1970s when I found out that governments lie . If researching a lie makes one a conspiracy theorist; just then let it be and consider the source  . 

This I know . The words conspiracy and theory and or theorist are words used by meinstream to demonise truth .

Note : I did not miss spell meinstream by definition . Just saying .

Indeed! I tend to not pay too much attention to some of the "further out" theories, but the things that are plainly obvious need to be scrutinized, since so much completely twisted things by the PTBs are being taken as Facts by the gullible.

On 8/2/2015, 10:11:37, BlueHawK said:

Glad you did! 8-) It's important that we can see stuff like this where we are painted into the same groups as people that are considered so insane, right? Sort of the "homegrown (meaning white supremacists, etc.) terrorists". isn't it?

Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez, an immigrant, is the new face of a "homegrown terrorist".

FBI: Chattanooga shooter was 'homegrown violent extremist'
The gunman who killed four Marines and a Navy petty officer at a  Chattanooga, Tenn. , installation last week was a "homegrown violent extremist" who acted alone during his rampage, an FBI official said Wednesday.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/07/22/fbi-chattanooga-shooter-homegrown-violent-extremist/30513541/

Homeland Security Chief: We Can't Call it 'Islamic Terrorism'
Homeland Security Chief, Jeh Johnson, recently stated that we can’t refer to the Chattanooga shooting and other similar events as “Islamic Terrorism,” because that’s just too disrespectful to the Muslim community. Furthermore, Johnson explained, terms like “Islamic terrorism” don’t facilitate building trust within the Muslim community either.
http://buzzpo.com/homeland-security-chief-we-cant-call-it-islamic-terrorism/

Didn't read the whole post - yup, incredible the complete dissociation from reality the Admin & much of the media has, enough to make you want to cry Rivers!

Edited by BlueHawK

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.