Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fourth echelon

California governor declares state of emergency amid raging Napa wildfire

8 posts in this topic

NAPA VALLEY, Calif., July 31 (UPI) -- California Gov. Jerry Brown on Friday declared a state of emergency as dangerously dry conditions and strong winds fuel the flames of a wildfire that's so far burned nearly 20,000 acres in the Napa Valley.

The Rocky Fire grew to 18,000 acres on Friday but is only about 5 percent contained, officials said. Friday morning, authorities issued a mandatory evacuation of residents in Jerusalem Valley -- which lies about 100 miles north of San Francisco.

So far, nearly 700 residents have fled their homes since the wildfire started Wednesday -- spreading quickly because of wind gusts and dehydrated vegetation amid the state's ongoing severe drought.

"California's severe drought and extreme weather have turned much of the state into a tinderbox," Brown said in a statement Friday. "Our courageous firefighters are on the front lines and we'll do everything we can to help them."

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2015/07/31/California-governor-declares-state-of-emergency-amid-raging-Napa-wildfire/1741438388835/?spt=sec&or=tn

I will be praying for california.  A lot of people lose homes every year because of fires. 

Once the fires are over, then the mudslides start, if any rain comes, that is.

I remember hearing about fires and whatnot, and those wildfires. They would put out the fires and someone would go and start more. It was found once to be another firefighter who did so to continue the work. This was covered on coast to coast am.

NOOOOOOOO!!! Not the grapes!

http://nationaldrinkwineday.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/wine.jpg

I buy lots of Apothic Red, imported into SA by the Walmart subsidiary we have here called Makro. - Very nice wine!

Embedded image permalink

Edited by FalkeAuge

I buy lots of Apothic Red, imported into SA by the Walmart subsidiary we have here called Makro. - Very nice wine!

Embedded image permalink

:chuckle: I'll check out the Apothic.....Total Wine has it for $8. The company is in Modesto so not affected by the fire but most assuredly by the drought.

I spent some wonderful hours years ago at a champagne winery in Napa. The view was extraordinary. The tall native grasses  had turned what I call California gold, the characteristic yellow we all associate with the hills of northern Cal. I hope the vintners and orchard growers come out of this and survive. I don't know why they don't do frequent controlled burns to prevent catastrophic wildfires. This year's drought may be THE tipping point, considering how impossible it is for that many people to crowd into a region which is actually a desert.

Remember the movie Chinatown? It was about how Standard Oil and Ford Motor Company put the streetcars out of business and stole water from rivers and aquifers. It worked for a long time and built up that Hollywood lifestyle. But the water is running out, so now what?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.