Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Fourth echelon

Conspiracy Theories in America: Why Citizens Turn to Alternative News

9 posts in this topic

Conspiracy theories are nothing new. It was as early as 1905 that the first conspiracy theory was published in a Russian book called “The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion.”

The book revealed a plot for a secret Jewish world domination. It has since been discredited but that doesn’t stop people from maintaining the theory, which would put Jews at the head of the longest con in history. After all, it’s only been 110 years.

The factor that contributes to the longevity of most conspiracies is their unprovable nature. These theories have an almost indefinite lifespan because more often than not, the perceived truth has no evidence with which to negate what is commonly held as fact. At the same time, the so-called facts typically maintain an air of deniability.

In the scientific world, a conspiracy theory has been identified as “a group acting in secret to alter institutions, usurp power, hide truth, or gain utility at the expense of the common good”.

For the majority of theories, the group is a high powered corporation or government body that is the same group providing evidence for the reported truth while wholeheartedly denying the perceived truth holds any water. Of course, this only exacerbates the notion.

http://www.topsecretwriters.com/2015/07/conspiracy-theories-in-america-why-citizens-turn-to-alternative-news/

Conspiracy theories are nothing new. It was as early as 1905 that the first conspiracy theory was published in a Russian book called “The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion.”

The book revealed a plot for a secret Jewish world domination. It has since been discredited but that doesn’t stop people from maintaining the theory, which would put Jews at the head of the longest con in history. After all, it’s only been 110 years.

The factor that contributes to the longevity of most conspiracies is their unprovable nature. These theories have an almost indefinite lifespan because more often than not, the perceived truth has no evidence with which to negate what is commonly held as fact. At the same time, the so-called facts typically maintain an air of deniability.

In the scientific world, a conspiracy theory has been identified as “a group acting in secret to alter institutions, usurp power, hide truth, or gain utility at the expense of the common good”.

For the majority of theories, the group is a high powered corporation or government body that is the same group providing evidence for the reported truth while wholeheartedly denying the perceived truth holds any water. Of course, this only exacerbates the notion.

http://www.topsecretwriters.com/2015/07/conspiracy-theories-in-america-why-citizens-turn-to-alternative-news/

well said!   It almost seems like the practice of the shell game .  What bothers me is the proponents of the ridiculous theories make the rest of us look bad .

we wonder why the mainstream media and most the world laughs at us?  Just look at the topics that are perpetuated by so-called's conspiracy theorist .

I am one and have been one since the 70s. The ridiculousness of some of these theories make us a laughingstock I almost believe it is a government ploy.  True conspiracy theorist should keep an eye on the wackos  and not feed in to their minutia .

Edited by Falling down
1 person likes this

well said!   It almost seems like the practice of the shell game .  What bothers me is the proponents of the ridiculous theories make the rest of us look bad .

we wonder why the mainstream media and most the world laughs at us?  Just look at the topics that are perpetuated by so-called's conspiracy theorist .

I am one and have been one since the 70s. The ridiculousness of some of these theories make us a laughingstock I almost believe it is a government ploy.  True conspiracy theorist should keep an eye on the wackos  and not feed in to their minutia .

yeppers.

Don't feed into the wackos particularly when you get folks making YOU prove your position. Links are helpful but can lead down slippery roads that they themselves construct a more unbelievable story or raise more questions for subversion.

I enjoy reading articles of shared experiences and come to my own conclusions.

It's more fun and educational than arguing.

Thanks 

It's one of the positions the dams me on these sites. I have no predispose attitude on most theories I look at them on a case-by-case basis .   I preferred to form my own opinion not what someone else tells me  on a blog. 

Rational logical thinking defeats fantasy every time. It's the fantasy part of many of these theories that bothers me .  If you look deep enough at some of the most touted conspiracy theorist on the Internet. Most people should come to the realization that they are doing it  for personal gain .

And not being able to realize self-enrichment is their main goal is what makes the majority of us look silly.

I am out of green arrows for both of you but I will catch up . 

Edited by Falling down
2 people like this

I am out of green arrows for both of you but I will catch up

here ill lend you one of my green arrows

1 person likes this

The thing I find truly amusing about conspiracy theories in general is the fact that people seem to find it so hard to believe that the rich and powerful wouldn't co conspire on various things, when it would so clearly be in their interests to do so.  The libor scandal, among hundreds of others that they've been busted for over the years, should thoroughly debunk the debunkers.

This is the perfect opportunity to share this from my files ..

It’s a sad state of affairs when humans have no choice but to seek information from the gray area either side of the line between fiction and non-fiction, because once-legitimate sources of information such as mainstream news have become so perverted that they are no longer relevant to human society. However, like it or not, that is the world we all currently live in .

I started in the 70s when my dad would tell me things . He was in the military . The first real conspiracies I had a interest in was the John F Kennedy shooting and UFOs and the The Gulf of Tonkin Incident . From there this would has been speeding down hill faster and faster every year . 

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-geeWUYNWGxc/U8qEN1CkeKI/AAAAAAAAKq0/xqLqmsvZk2s/s1600/conspiracy-theory-smiley.png 

The thing I find truly amusing about conspiracy theories in general is the fact that people seem to find it so hard to believe that the rich and powerful wouldn't co conspire on various things, when it would so clearly be in their interests to do so.  The libor scandal, among hundreds of others that they've been busted for over the years, should thoroughly debunk the debunkers.

For those who say "I don't believe in conspiracy theories" are really saying "I am incapable of thinking for myself".

Thanks 

It's one of the positions the dams me on these sites. I have no predispose attitude on most theories I look at them on a case-by-case basis .   I preferred to form my own opinion not what someone else tells me  on a blog. 

Rational logical thinking defeats fantasy every time. It's the fantasy part of many of these theories that bothers me .  If you look deep enough at some of the most touted conspiracy theorist on the Internet. Most people should come to the realization that they are doing it  for personal gain .

And not being able to realize self-enrichment is their main goal is what makes the majority of us look silly.

I am out of green arrows for both of you but I will catch up . 

falling I green them. The problem is when we get something right say 9/11. 1000s more ways of talking about the details come out to stop the truth. The truth about stuff is never going to be in the msm so who cares! 

I am am a big person about meeting face to face or talking not typing. The reason is your craz craz can be called out easy. Most CT need facts time to look at things, so bring your facts. I don't think but a few make money in the CT world but I could be wrong. 

The he only people that sound crazy on the msm are put on to make you look crazy and stop people looking at the truth. The second you stop caring what people think about you the more they will listen. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.