Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Talon

Windows 10: Here are the privacy issues you should know about

18 posts in this topic

Windows 10 has just arrived and there’s a new Privacy Policy and Service Agreement from Microsoft coming swiftly in its wake.

The new policies take effect on 1 August and there are a few unsettling things nestling in there that you should be thinking about if you’re using the company’s services and software.

The Privacy Statement and Services Agreements combined come to 45 pages. Microsoft’s deputy general counsel, Horacio Gutierrez wrote that they are “straightforward terms and polices that people can clearly understand.” The reality is, you’re probably not going to read them. So I did…

And, like so many other companies, Microsoft has grabbed some very broad powers to collect things you do, say and create while using its software. Your data won’t be staying on your computer, that much is for sure.

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/

1 person likes this

I just signed up for a free Linux beginners course.  Windows 10 can kiss my ass.

1 person likes this

It is hard to make the switch from bloated microsoft to linux but once you do you will wonder why you waited so long.......

I tried Mint a couple of years ago.  I loved the live CD so I installed it.  I had to make a password during the install that Mint never recognized thereafter.  I could use the system, but I couldn't make any changes or install any software because it wouldn't recognize that password.  I searched for answers and couldn't find any.  So, this time I'm going to take this little introductory course first.

Windows 10 Delivers Updates to Other Users on the Internet Via Peer-to-Peer by Default

July 30th, 2015

Update: Windows 10 Default Privacy Settings: “Vague and Bordering on Scary”

By dumb luck, I just found a setting that indicates that Windows 10 delivers updates to other computers over the Internet via peer-to-peer networking.

Not good if you’re like most people in New Zealand on metered Internet connections!

Once I got over my shock at this “feature” and disabled it, I looked for a mention of this elsewhere and yep, there it is. The author of the article below had also lived in NZ.

It makes great sense for distribution on the LAN, but no thanks to being a part of Microsoft’s involuntary CDN/botnet on the WAN side. Holy shit. I mean, what could possibly go wrong on the WAN side with this? Attackers will never get control of that thing to distribute payloads of doom to hundreds of millions of Windows 10 machines. Right?

Anyway, I wonder what other gems are packed inside this thing!? (I’ve only installed Windows 10 on a junker laptop to experiment with so far.)

Via: TNW News:

Windows 10 launched on July 29 to much fanfare — it’s a free upgrade for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users — but along with the privacy issues, there’s another small thing you should check: by default, Windows 10 uses your internet connection to share updates with others across the internet.

The feature, called Windows Update Delivery Optimization is designed to help users get updates faster and is enabled by default in Windows 10 Home and Pro editions. Windows 10 Enterprise and Education have the feature enabled, but only for the local network.

It’s basically how torrents work: your computer is used as part of a peer to peer network to deliver updates faster to others. It’s a great idea, unless your connection is restricted.

More: Windows 10 “Wi-Fi Sense” Insanity

NSA Built Back Door In All Microsoft Windows Software Since 1999

Been watching here, see what some updates have done to other windows to "get ready for w10"

You can read whole thread if you wish, however just reading these last 2 pages linked

Don't Get Windows 10 it appears they have done things to other versions of windows lately, most specifically it looks like 7/30. When you see it, you will be shocked.

i was looking forward to getting win10...but after reading article that win10 could be spying on you had me feeling pessimistic. -gonna get new pc in 3 months. but then again, i heard from my friends how win10 is amazing and so cool etc. i want to try it out ...tired of this win7

If they did that, I'm scared to think what's in my iPad. Probably much worse right?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.