Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lucy Barnable

Suspicious mail sent to Ore. government; sheriff hospitalized

4 posts in this topic

Government offices around the state on Monday received suspicious mail, some of which contained an unknown substance, according to Oregon State Police.

Grant County Sheriff Glenn Palmer was rushed to the emergency room at Blue Mountain Hospital on Monday evening. The East Oregonian reported that Palmer opened an envelope addressed to him at the sheriff's office in Canyon City. The envelope contained a white substance and Palmer quickly developed a rash on his arms.

Palmer was discharged from the hospital by 6:45 p.m., a source told KGW.
-----

OSP spokesman Lt. Bill Fugate said hazardous materials teams and investigators responded to the reports.

Fugate said he could confirm Harney County also received the suspicious packages and he has heard that packages arrived at up to 20 locations, although those are not confirmed.

http://www.kgw.com/story/news/2015/07/27/oregon-government-offices-suspicious-mail/30760395/

Source: Police have a suspect in suspicious letters case

Investigators have a suspect in the case, a law enforcement source told KGW's Pat Dooris. No arrests have been made.

Field testing had shown no toxins on any of the letters or envelopes, according to FBI spokeswoman Beth Anne Steele. There was also no evidence of a visible powder on any of the mailings.

Oregon State Police had said Monday that some of the packages contained an unknown substance, but further examination showed that was not the case.

Grant County Sheriff Glenn Palmer was rushed to the emergency room at Blue Mountain Hospital after developing a rash on his arms at about the same time he opened one of the envelopes.
-----
He told KGW the intent of the letter was unclear, and he wishes the person who sent the letter would have aired his or her grievances in some other way.

"There's a venue for dealing with your complaints," he said. "My door is open to these people and my phone number is published. If people want to get a hold of me, I'm here."

http://www.kgw.com/story/news/2015/07/27/oregon-government-offices-suspicious-mail/30760395/

Anthrax Doom off thank goodness but this is a reminder that our police officers face non-stop threats. 
They're human just like the rest of us and when under constant stress they can over react.
A little appreciation can sometimes go a long way and a smile can make someones day.
I've been making a point to wave or nod at my local police whenever I see them. :smile:

Shew! I'm guessing by now they've ruled out Ricin poisoning. That's another scary one. There is much to be said for our men & women in uniform. It's sad all that makes the news are the bad apples. I think being genial as a general practice goes far in this world, you never know if that person you smiled to might stop you from walking in front of a bus next week. With our police force, it helps them remember the reasons they became officers, despite most of their time dealing with psychos and crooks, it's easy to forget the good folk those prey upon, right?

:poopywb4:

Shew! I'm guessing by now they've ruled out Ricin poisoning. That's another scary one. There is much to be said for our men & women in uniform. It's sad all that makes the news are the bad apples. I think being genial as a general practice goes far in this world, you never know if that person you smiled to might stop you from walking in front of a bus next week. With our police force, it helps them remember the reasons they became officers, despite most of their time dealing with psychos and crooks, it's easy to forget the good folk those prey upon, right?

:poopywb4:

Yep. Good manners make people nice to know. I had to deal with police frequently in my previous job.
Sure, a few were rude or had an attitude but the vast majority were kind and genuinely trying to help the situation.
I can understand why they're on guard all the time now. They're being vilified left and right and so many are falling for it.
When the police quit because their jobs have become too dangerous they're not going to be replaced with pacifists holding kittens. 
A federalized militarized police force will be bad, really bad. I wish people could see where this is heading. 

:opmdsihs:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.