Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Language, my dears. Is the F-bomb a conspiracy?

3 posts in this topic

First off, I'm no prude. In my early adulthood I swore like a sailor until one day a playback of a recording revealed that somehow I had forgotten the King's English and the sum of my verbal expression was reduced to mostly "fuck".

I am not offended by fuck but insulted by it's overuse and promotion that I find to be an element of programming. When I was growing up swearing was cool much like smoking. Nowadays smoking is not cool (in America) but swearing is incredibly popular. How did this happen? Smoking got the axe through propaganda and "fuck' got the green light in Hollywood. Is there an agenda behind it?

I am concerned for scriptwriters that lack such imagination that their characters can only exclaim "fuck" repeatedly. Does this accurately portray quality of life? Are there no other words that express emotion that can garner an R rating and hold the audience's attention? To them I say, get a fucking dictionary!!!

A little history according to Wiki:

The word "fuck" did not originate as an acronym of "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge", either as a sign posted above adulterers in the stocks, or as a criminal charge against members of the British Armed Forces; nor did it originate during the 15th-century Battle of Agincourt as a corruption of "pluck yew" (an idiom falsely attributed to the English for drawing a longbow).Modern English was not spoken until the 16th century, and words such as "fornication" and "consent" did not exist in any form in English until the influence of Anglo-Norman in the late 12th century. The earliest recorded use of "fuck" in English comes from c. 1475, in the poem "Flen flyys", where it is spelled fuccant (conjugated as if a Latin verb meaning "they fuck"). It is of Proto-Germanic origin, and is related to Dutch fokken and fukka.

The poem, which satirizes the Carmelite friars of Cambridge, England, takes its title, “Flen flyys,” from the first words of its opening line, “Flen, flyys, and freris,” that is, “fleas, flies, and friars.”

So, let us rise above the basic fuck that surely some will not give via meme and revive the English language as it languishes in idiocracy. I wonder about the next generation and their communication skills.

Edited by Cinnamon
image removed/link added
1 person likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.