Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Talon

Foraging for Edible Wild Plants – Could You Survive? [QUIZ]

14 posts in this topic

I got one incorrect. I falsely assumed that agavé, as it was used to make tequila, would be edible. I'd be willing to bet that you also erred on this one as well as azalea.

I'm fairly clued up on edible plants in Europe, but have almost no clue about the native plants here in Brazil. I need to spend some time with indigenous people and learn.

That being said, there are many exotic plants that have been introduced to Brazil such as the Jack fruit, of which I've harvested many, and Plantago major, also known as White man's footprint, which is both edible and a useful medicinal plant. There are also many native bamboo species as well as fungi - the latter I would really like to learn about.

I screwed up on the agave and the almond.

I let plantain, dandelion, and burdock grow in my garden like any other vegetable.  Good stuff.  It's getting close to time to harvest the dandelion and burdock roots for tincturing.

No problem, I was raised in the woods. Agave is what the Pueblo Indians used to wipe off the Baptisms water from the Spanish Priests, in the 17th century.

Damn, I missed the wild onion one. :( 

"Crow's Poison" looks like wild onion (but smells like grass, not onion) and is toxic. 

I suppose I'd rather err on the side of caution than fuck up and eat something I shouldn't have. lol

Oh, and I miss your Brazil picture threads. Hint, hint. 

And I miss my camera that was stolen in Bahia. My current phone takes pictures about as well I can draw and that's not something a kindergarten kid would be proud of! :(

And I miss my camera that was stolen in Bahia. My current phone takes pictures about as well I can draw and that's not something a kindergarten kid would be proud of! :(

Well, that's a bummer.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Edited by Talon
Where's the freakin' candle emote?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.