Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CGK

California Earthquake Watch

13 posts in this topic

The Bay Area had a 4.0 earthquake at 2:41 am Tuesday with 14 aftershocks occurring over the course of the day. Now Scientists have issued a warning that the Big One might be on its way any day now.

Scientist warn Hayward fault expected to produce large quake

Scientists warn the Bay Area can expect a much larger quake “any day now” from the fault that produced Tuesday’s 4.0-magnitude earthquake in Fremont.

The quake struck at 2:41 a.m. on the Hayward Fault at a depth of 5 miles, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. While the shaking rattled nerves, no major damage was reported.

But residents may want to take the Bay Area’s latest quake as a reminder to be prepared for a “big one.”
Scientists warn a much larger quake is due on the Hayward Fault, which extends from San Pablo Bay in the north to Fremont in the south and passes through heavily populated areas including Berkeley, Oakland, Hayward and Fremont.

“We keep a close eye on the Hayward Fault because it does sit in the heart of the Bay Area and when we do get a big earthquake on it, it’s going to have a big impact on the entire Bay Area,” said Tom Brocher, a research geophysicist with the USGS.

The last big earthquake on the fault, estimated to have a 6.8-magnitude, occurred in 1868, according to the USGS.

It killed about 30 people and caused extensive damage in the Bay Area, particularly in the city of Hayward, from which the fault gets its name. Until the larger 1906 earthquake, it was widely referred to as the “Great San Francisco Earthquake.”

“The population is now 100 times bigger in the East Bay, so we have many more people that will be impacted,” said Brocher. “The past five major earthquakes [on the fault] have been about 140 years apart, and now we’re 147 years from that 1868 earthquake, so we definitely feel that could happen any time,” Brocher said.

Brocher urged residents to take steps to prepare for a major earthquake. But he notes that Tuesday morning’s quake was not likely to have much of an impact one way or the other on the likelihood of a major event occurring on the same fault.

http://kron4.com/2015/07/21/scientist-warn-hayward-fault-expected-to-produce-large-quake/

Tom Brocher is the man who issued the warning in the article above. Here is a bit of info on Thomas Brocher. I suspect the guy knows what he is talking about given his credentials.

The U.S. Geological Survey is pleased to announce the selection of Dr. Stephen Hickman to serve as the new director of the USGS Earthquake Science Center, headquartered in Menlo Park, California. Dr. Hickman succeeds Dr. Thomas Brocher, who served in the position for the past six years.

<snip>

Dr. Brocher said it has been a pleasure to serve as center director and to work with the USGS Earthquake Hazards, Volcano Hazards, and Energy Resources Programs. “I’ve enjoyed helping to guide the center’s research, hazard assessment, and monitoring activities to address the highest priorities of the USGS mission,” he said. “During that time we upgraded the seismic monitoring networks in the West Coast, tested a prototype earthquake early system, and investigated how to incorporate real-time GPS into earthquake early-warning systems.”

Brocher said he looks forward to returning to work in the USGS Earthquake Science Center as a research geophysicist, where he will focus on improving and refining 3-D seismic velocity models that will be used to forecast strong ground motions in future earthquakes, as well as helping to assess earthquake hazards in the Pacific Northwest.

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=4096

1 person likes this

Interesting that lots of newspapers on the West Coast are publishing stories about earthquakes today.

Tsunami: Racing to high ground in Reedsport after an Oregon coast earthquake (animated map)

We know a major earthquake in the Cascadia Subduction Zone in the deep waters of the Pacific Ocean would send a wall of water toward Oregon, because scientists tell us so.

But what does that mean for people who live in coastal communities?

The Oregonian/OregonLive mapped the high water marks for a variety of tsunami scenarios presented by the Oregon Department of Geology and Mineral Industries. Then we turned to a former resident of the Oregon coast for some commentary on the anticipated flooding.

http://www.oregonlive.com/earthquakes/index.ssf/2015/07/tsunamis_racing_for_high_groun.html

Oregon Interactive Tsunami map

http://projects.oregonlive.com/maps/tsunami

I just saw this. Im watching it closely since natural disaster is on my list of reasons for jade helm.

They are closing down the BART for repairs too. Interesting timing.

BART’s message on Transbay Tube shutdown: Stay home if you can

Staying home will be a great idea when BART shuts down its Transbay Tube for five days this summer.

During the shutdowns, which will take place on Aug. 1-2 and Sept. 5-7, BART will try to accommodate passengers by setting up a bus bridge across the bay, with 94 extra coaches, and renting a few ferries from four Bay Area transit agencies. If everything works like it’s supposed to, a BART spokesman said, the whole thing should add perhaps an extra half hour to most transbay trips.

“But we’re still encouraging people to stay on their side of the bay,” Bob Franklin, BART’s customer access manager, said Tuesday.

The shutdowns will allow BART to replace a worn half-mile stretch of track and 932 rotted wooden cross ties near the eastern entrance of the Transbay Tube in West Oakland. About 90 workers will also install a new crossover track and upgraded switching system, to allow trains to operate in either direction on both tracks between Oakland and San Francisco in an emergency. The project will cost about $2 million.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/BART-s-message-on-transbay-tube-shutdown-Stay-6397773.php

I just saw this. Im watching it closely since natural disaster is on my list of reasons for jade helm.

Im leaning more towards a natural disaster myself Shep.

If anyone is interest..Here is a link to the ABC Quake Cam where you can watch the seismo.

http://abc7.com/live/23343/

1 person likes this

Yea I think it may be the true reason behind it. That or it is a training experience for their new battlefield AI.

1 person likes this

California had a shaker this morning.

A 4.2-magnitude earthquake struck the Fontana area in San Bernardino County Saturday morning, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
The USGS provided this graphic after a preliminary 4.3-magnitude earthquake hit the Fontana area on July 25, 2015.

The USGS provided this graphic after a 4.3-magnitude earthquake hit the Fontana area on July 25, 2015.

The quake hit around 5:45 a.m. about 1-mile east-southeast of Fontana, 3 miles west-northwest of Bloomington and 4 miles west of Rialto. USGS initially reported it was a 4.3 magnitude, but it was later downgraded to 4.2.

It hit at a depth of about 2.8 miles, according to USGS.

The temblor’s epicenter was in a residential neighborhood less than a mile from the Fontana Metrolink station and about 3.5 miles from the Auto Club Speedway.

Dozens of people reported feeling the shallow quake across San Bernardino County as well as the Orange County cities Santa Ana, Fullerton and Irvine, according to KTLA5 viewers.

One Twitter user described the quake as a “rude awakening.”

“Quake jolted me off of my bed. I saw my TV about to fall and was able to catch it,” Twitter user Luis Toro stated.

The temblor felt more like a 7.0 magnitude, KTLA5 viewer Maybelin Rodriguez stated on Facebook, adding that when it occurred she was close to the 210 Freeway, which according to mapping was located less than 3 miles from the epicenter.

Dozens of other people, including San Bernardino County firefighters, said the early-morning quake woke them up.

The firefighters then immediately began assessing damage in the area, department spokeswoman Chris Prater said.

“So far we were very fortunate this morning,” Prater said. “The only thing we’ve found is very superficial damage to some structures, and we did have one report from of a residence that had some broken water pipes due to the earthquake.”

Several smaller aftershocks were reported after the 4.2 temblor.

Earthquakes with one magnitude lower than the initial 4.2 could strike, and there was about a 5 percent chance that a larger earthquake could occur, said seismologist Jennifer Andrews with the California Institute of Technology.

Seismologists were working to determine which fault was responsible for the quake.

“It’s not lining up directly with any of the known fault traces,” Andrews said. “It’s east of the San Jacinto (fault).”

The quake was described as a strike-slip shaker.

“That’s a lateral sliding, a horizontal movement, basically, of the fault,” Andrews said. “The rocks slide past each other on either side of the fault, so there’s no vertical motion; it’s not a thrust, there’s no pushing up from the ground or pulling down.”

People living near the temblor were urged to have an emergency kit and enough water to last them at least 72 hours, the Fire Department tweeted.

Disaster Preparedness – Are You Ready Los Angeles County http://t.co/hGnSD6kHBk Drop Cover & Hold On #laquake pic.twitter.com/sCg1AAQ9hZ

— LA County Sheriff's (@LASDHQ) July 25, 2015

http://ktla.com/2015/07/25/preliminary-4-3-magnitudeearthquake-hits-fontana-area/

It's just a matter of time... and if a large enough one does hit, that "thin layer of civilization" will be stripped more than most would believe.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.