Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fourth echelon

Study: Poverty does lasting damage to a child's brain

5 posts in this topic

ST. LOUIS, July 20 (UPI) -- The most long-lasting scars of childhood poverty may not be visible to the naked eye. New research suggests they are buried deep in the brain tissue of a child.

A shameful 22 percent of children in the United States are living in poverty. The stresses of growing up in family that can't afford regular meals, shelter, healthcare and education can have long-lasting effects on a child's brain development.

Scientists say these changes, or scars, can negatively impact emotional and psychological health, both now and later. In addition to struggling in the classroom and on standardized tests, children living in poverty are more likely to struggle with anxiety and depression as they get older.

Researchers at the University of Wisconsin and Washington University in St. Louis looked at socioeconomic, health and academic performance data for thousands of kids and analyzed the most recent scientific literature on the subject to compose one of the most comprehensive surveys on childhood poverty and the developing brain.

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2015/07/20/Study-Poverty-does-lasting-damage-to-a-childs-brain/1461437417123/?spt=sec&or=sn

"Scientists say these changes, or scars, can negatively impact emotional and psychological health, both now and later. In addition to struggling in the classroom and on standardized tests, children living in poverty are more likely to struggle with anxiety and depression as they get older."

been there, still there. There comes a time when you have to get your mind right and say fk the system and liberate yourself. I have high education, live in poverty, too educated to get a job because they say "im too qualified to do anything". I continue to live in poverty with second highest student in college. I've been abused my whole life and continue to be. Do I let it affect me? No, no choice so you can try to drain me, abuse me all you want, deprive me, and I will still have a strong mind. It depends on what you want to believe. 

I guess the entire generation who grew up during the Depression must have damaged brains! 

Or, maybe they are born and live in poverty because their parents lack abilities to improve their lives.

The study, in other words, assumes all babies are born equal. Nature vs nurture, etc.

These researchers should substitute teach in schools in various neighborhoods. I taught in public high schools for 25 years, then did some substituting in 4 states. Math, science, English, all subjects but P.E. That was a real eye-opener. IQ matters. 

:JSfrXsb:

This is just more of the blame it on someone else mentality.  Who cares if your poor, work hard and learn, try for crying out loud.

Some people are just lazy. If they know they can get a hand out, they will use it till it dries up.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.