Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Talon

We Can’t Let John Deere Destroy the Very Idea of Ownership

8 posts in this topic

IT’S OFFICIAL: JOHN Deere and General Motors want to eviscerate the notion of ownership. Sure, we pay for their vehicles. But we don’t own them. Not according to their corporate lawyers, anyway.

In a particularly spectacular display of corporate delusion, John Deere—the world’s largest agricultural machinery maker —told the Copyright Office that farmers don’t own their tractors. Because computer code snakes through the DNA of modern tractors, farmers receive “an implied license for the life of the vehicle to operate the vehicle.”

It’s John Deere’s tractor, folks. You’re just driving it.

Several manufacturers recently submitted similar comments to the Copyright Office under an inquiryinto the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. DMCA is a vast 1998 copyright law that (among other things) governs the blurry line between software and hardware. The Copyright Office, after reading the comments and holding a hearing, will decide in July which high-tech devices we can modify, hack, and repair—and decide whether John Deere’s twisted vision of ownership will become a reality.

Over the last two decades, manufacturers have used the DMCA to argue that consumers do not own the software underpinning the products they buy—things like smartphones, computers, coffeemakers, cars, and, yes, even tractors. So, Old MacDonald has a tractor, but he owns a massive barn ornament, because the manufacturer holds the rights to the programming that makes it run.

In recent years, some companies have even leveraged the DMCA to stop owners from modifying the programming on those products. This means you can’t strip DRM off smart kitty litter boxesinstall custom software on your iPad, or alter the calibration on a tractor’s engine. Not without potentially running afoul of the DMCA.

Read More... 

1 person likes this

In that case (oh, Case makes tractors too), I'd like to sue John Deere for causing the Dust Bowl. Their deep-till equipment ground the topsoils of Midwest prairies to extinction. Gone with the wind.

They also are responsible for the near-extirpation of native pollinators such as the bumblebee. How so? JD also invented the riding lawnmower, that despicable machine that led to the American obsession with manicured and useless lawns. The goal of your average homeowner is to have a putting-green moat to surround his yuppie McMansion. Weed-free, vegetable-free, and toxic.

Eisenhower warned us many years ago about the rise of the military-industrial-lawn care complex. 

It's here and it's hideous. And no one gives a hoot in hell.

2 people like this

While I will agree that the consumer does not own the actual software, and is indeed only licensed to use that software, the hardware does belong to the person who bought it.

As such, It would not take much for a few farmers to get together with a few software developers to create an opensource software for tractors. And it would be completely legal, and probably better on the machinery in the long run, especially if they enlisted the help of some good mechanics.

We know tractors, like all modern equipment, is designed to fail, so people will buy a new one. Perhaps that is the real reason they don't want people altering their software.

1 person likes this

In that case (oh, Case makes tractors too), I'd like to sue John Deere for causing the Dust Bowl. Their deep-till equipment ground the topsoils of 

when i went o Russia roflmao there they plant their yards fence  to fence with veggies 

and in the 4 corners was a 55 gal drum where they would store there water

hmm 

We should do the same thing with our land and water.

I blame the global complex for warping our priorities. The Ag Dept. and county agents have sold their souls to the chemical and petroleum industry. It's the big employer in my state, Lousisana, aka Cancer Alley.

It makes me sad to see everyone constantly cutting grass. Homeowner organizations (HOs) require exact percentages of grass lawn, approved color of mailboxes, etc.

Hard to believe how Americans have become so brainwashed and docile. It will change some day, after grocery prices go through the roof. Bye lawn. Hello beans and cabbage in the front yard.

And hand tools instead of machines.

The absurd idea has a legal precedent.

You think it is an outrageous concept to purchase something and have to continue to make payments?

Unacceptable that that you can't make modifications without first seeking permission and authorisation?

Look at home and property ownership globally! This scam has been in force for centuries!

Who owns water?

Some homeowners aren't allowed to capture rain. We citizen-slaves will never be allowed to buy our release from bondage to the nwo. 

they can do what ever the fuk they want to....

if this shit goes through i will rip out their "computer" system and install a carburetor... i have no problem making engines work.

fuk them and fuk their system...

:aliengoeshere:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.