Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ukshep

Road in Yellowstone National Park closed to vehicles due to thermal activity

9 posts in this topic

Road in Yellowstone National Park closed to vehicles due to thermal activity

GREAT FALLS -

Rangers at Yellowstone National Park have temporarily closed Upper Terrace Drive near Mammoth Hot Springs to vehicles due to a new thermal feature that is affecting the road.

A press release from the park says that the new feature became "visibly active" in May near the Upper Terrace parking lot, creating new small terraces adjacent to the drive. 

Geologists and rangers monitored the thermal feature and found temperatures up to 152 degrees Fahrenheit. 

Rangers noticed additional thermal activity this week adjacent to and under the pavement, which triggered the temporary closure.

Thermal imaging shows heat under the pavement as well.

Park geologist Dr. Hank Heasler said, “We have known this area had heat near the surface based on the fact that it does not hold snow in the winter. We drilled two holes a half-meter (20 inches) deep, both of which now have hot water bubbling at the surface or very near the surface.”

Park visitors are still able to walk on the Upper Terrace Drive. 

Maintenance staff is preparing bumper logs to protect the thermal feature and keep the outflow off of the pavement. 

Once those are in place, the road will reopen to vehicle traffic. 

Heasler noted, “As in all of the thermal areas, visitors need to stay on the boardwalks or paved areas and avoid touching thermal features.”

Source: http://www.kpax.com/story/29568325/road-in-yellowstone-national-park-closed-to-vehicles-due-to-thermal-activity

It certainly does seem that the southwest is a very bad place to be these days, now doesn't it?

This actually happens quite often at Yellowstone.

If you write Yellowstone a letter asking if the park is safe they will return a letter to you, penned by one of their geologists,  explaining how this happens every year.

On 7/17/2015, 4:51:52, FurriesRock said:

This actually happens quite often at Yellowstone.

If you write Yellowstone a letter asking if the park is safe they will return a letter to you, penned by one of their geologists,  explaining how this happens every year.

About 2 years ago this happened and there were images of the road
actually melting. Here's the image I saw at that time.

http://www.trunews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Yellowstone-road-610x400.jpg

I had someone tell me back in 2011 or 2012... not sure which, but that they
would at a predetermined time blow yellowstone. That's all I ever heard about
that.

On 7/17/2015, 4:57:35, Cryptic Mole said:

About 2 years ago this happened and there were images of the roadactually melting. Here's the image I saw at that time.

http://www.trunews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Yellowstone-road-610x400.jpg

I know, A geologist at Yellowstone informed me that it happens every year.  it's happens because the summer heat added to the heat from what's going on below is too much for the roads.

They should, like in parts of South Africa, maybe revert to concrete roads which do not melt.  However with unstable ground it may also be that they will crack as the expansion is not like that of an asphalt (tar) road.  

They should, like in parts of South Africa, maybe revert to concrete roads which do not melt.  However with unstable ground it may also be that they will crack as the expansion is not like that of an asphalt (tar) road.  

If they were concrete, they would also crack from the many hundreds of small quakes
throughout the years. Cobblestone would be a better choice.

On 7/18/2015, 2:06:19, Cryptic Mole said:

If they were concrete, they would also crack from the many hundreds of small quakesthroughout the years. Cobblestone would be a better choice.

thumbs-up.gif  True, like the old Roman roads! 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.