Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fourth echelon

Kansas Succeeds in Driving Teachers to Retire or Leave State

4 posts in this topic

Conservative policies in Kansas have made the state unfriendly to teachers, causing the loss of thousands from classrooms just this year.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

More than 3,700 teachers have left the state, retired or taken jobs outside of education since the past school year ended, the Associated Press has reported. It’s “a huge jump from the 2,150 who did so just a couple of years ago,” the AP’s Roxana Hegeman wrote using data from the Kansas State Department of Education.

The exodus of instructors has been blamed on education spending cuts, including low teacher pay. The Republican-dominated legislature’s attempts to do away with tenure, undermine teachers’ unions and even to pass a law that would have allowed teachers to be criminally prosecuted for presenting material deemed harmful to minors have also been cited as reasons why teachers are leaving.

“Instead of funding our schools, (lawmakers) are vilifying our teachers,” Mark Farr, a high school science teacher now serving as president of the Kansas National Education Association, told the AP.

Kansas Governor Sam Brownback (R) has led a charge to cut taxes and school funding. Earlier this year, that state’s Supreme Court ruled that the funding disparities between school districts were too wide.

http://www.allgov.com/news/top-stories/kansas-succeeds-in-driving-teachers-to-retire-or-leave-state-150715?news=856964

Conservative policies in Kansas have made the state unfriendly to teachers, causing the loss of thousands from classrooms just this year.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

More than 3,700 teachers have left the state, retired or taken jobs outside of education since the past school year ended, the Associated Press has reported. It’s “a huge jump from the 2,150 who did so just a couple of years ago,” the AP’s Roxana Hegeman wrote using data from the Kansas State Department of Education.

The exodus of instructors has been blamed on education spending cuts, including low teacher pay. The Republican-dominated legislature’s attempts to do away with tenure, undermine teachers’ unions and even to pass a law that would have allowed teachers to be criminally prosecuted for presenting material deemed harmful to minors have also been cited as reasons why teachers are leaving.

“Instead of funding our schools, (lawmakers) are vilifying our teachers,” Mark Farr, a high school science teacher now serving as president of the Kansas National Education Association, told the AP.

Kansas Governor Sam Brownback (R) has led a charge to cut taxes and school funding. Earlier this year, that state’s Supreme Court ruled that the funding disparities between school districts were too wide.

http://www.allgov.com/news/top-stories/kansas-succeeds-in-driving-teachers-to-retire-or-leave-state-150715?news=856964

It sounds to me like they are fighting against common core and other "liberal" nonsense and I say good for them. All of the teachers that rely on tenure to keep their jobs can leave and it can only make things better.

As far as prosecuting teachers for contributing to the delinquency of a minor or presenting harmful material as the article says well, why shouldn't they be prosecuted? Anyone else would.

Teachers of my Baby Boomer generation are leaving the classroom in droves. We are in our 60s now, for Pete's sake. And it's time to hang it up when people who don't want to teach tell teachers how they must teach. First we had 504 modifications, then Common Core, and lots of other red tape to fill out in our abundant free time, when we were not teaching, grading papers, preparing lesson plants, and dealing with incompetent parents and mollycoddling administrators.

My state did away with tenure many years ago. It's time for universities to do the same.

My advice to young teachers: Get Out! Now. Go to grad school and get certified in a career with a future. Machines will take over soon enough. and kids will compute to learn. They are being prepared with Facebook and smart phones. No need to have contact with human beings at all. Football games and proms will be a small problem.

Dumb, drugged, and docile -- it's where we're heading.

Teachers of my Baby Boomer generation are leaving the classroom in droves. We are in our 60s now, for Pete's sake. And it's time to hang it up when people who don't want to teach tell teachers how they must teach. First we had 504 modifications, then Common Core, and lots of other red tape to fill out in our abundant free time, when we were not teaching, grading papers, preparing lesson plants, and dealing with incompetent parents and mollycoddling administrators.

My state did away with tenure many years ago. It's time for universities to do the same.

My advice to young teachers: Get Out! Now. Go to grad school and get certified in a career with a future. Machines will take over soon enough. and kids will compute to learn. They are being prepared with Facebook and smart phones. No need to have contact with human beings at all. Football games and proms will be a small problem.

Dumb, drugged, and docile -- it's where we're heading.

well said.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.