Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fourth echelon

Researchers say seaweed tastes like bacon

6 posts in this topic

CORVALLIS, Ore., July 15 (UPI) -- Having trouble getting your kids to eat vegetables? A new strain of designer seaweed might be just what you're looking for.

Scientists at Oregon State University (OSU) have been successfully growing a patented strain of bright red algae that they say, when cooked, tastes like bacon. It's a superfood for people who don't eat superfoods.

Dulse (Palmaria palmata) is a red alga that grows wild off the northern coasts of the Atlantic and Pacific. Harvested and dried, the seaweed fetches a hefty price as snack food and cooking ingredient -- used commonly along the coasts of Ireland as a flavor enhancer for soups and stews.

While the new strain of dulse boasts vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and healthy concentration of protein, it wasn't originally designed with humans in mind.

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2015/07/15/Researchers-say-seaweed-tastes-like-bacon/6671436959979/?spt=sec&or=sn

That's a taste test I won't be taking. Superfood or not, seaweed is disgusting.

CORVALLIS, Ore., July 15 (UPI) -- Having trouble getting your kids to eat vegetables? A new strain of designer seaweed might be just what you're looking for.

Scientists at Oregon State University (OSU) have been successfully growing a patented strain of bright red algae that they say, when cooked, tastes like bacon. It's a superfood for people who don't eat superfoods.

Dulse (Palmaria palmata) is a red alga that grows wild off the northern coasts of the Atlantic and Pacific. Harvested and dried, the seaweed fetches a hefty price as snack food and cooking ingredient -- used commonly along the coasts of Ireland as a flavor enhancer for soups and stews.

While the new strain of dulse boasts vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and healthy concentration of protein, it wasn't originally designed with humans in mind.

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2015/07/15/Researchers-say-seaweed-tastes-like-bacon/6671436959979/?spt=sec&or=sn

I'd try it. But I really love bacon, so they better their A game.

Once cooked it's no longer going to be a superfood, it'll be dead food with little to no nutrients.

Once cooked it's no longer going to be a superfood, it'll be dead food with little to no nutrients.

Good point! I eat mostly raw fruit and veggies but I do have a weakness for bacon.

Good point! I eat mostly raw fruit and veggies but I do have a weakness for bacon.

Same here. And I like rib eye, too. lol

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.