Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fourth echelon

a jobless future?

10 posts in this topic

Yes, a Computer Will Take Your Job. Can We Handle the Transition to a Jobless Future?

With the unemployment rate falling to 5.3 percent, the lowest in seven years, policy makers are heaving a sigh of relief. Indeed, with the technology boom in progress, there is a lot to be optimistic about. Manufacturing will be returning to U.S. shores with robots doing the job of Chinese workers; American carmakers will be mass-producing self-driving electric vehicles; technology companies will develop medical devices that greatly improve health and longevity; we will have unlimited clean energy and 3D-print our daily needs. The cost of all these things will plummet and make it possible to provide for the basic needs of every human being.

I am talking about technology advances that are happening now, which will bear fruit in the 2020s.

But policy makers will have a big new problem to deal with: the disappearance of human jobs. Not only will there be fewer jobs for people doing manual work, but the jobs of knowledge workers will also be replaced by computers. Almost every industry and profession will be impacted, and this will create a new set of social problems -- because most people can't adapt to such dramatic change.

If we can develop the economic structures necessary to distribute the prosperity we are creating, most people will no longer have to work to sustain themselves. They will be free to pursue other creative endeavors. The problem, however, is that without jobs, they will not have the dignity, social engagement and sense of fulfillment that comes from work. The life, liberty and pursuit of happiness that the Constitution entitles us to won't be through labor; it will have to be through other means.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/vivek-wadhwa/yes-a-computer-will-take-your-job_b_7743914.html?utm_hp_ref=science&ir=Science

Socialize the whole system so everyone feels they are entitled to everything for free.
After all, if the system can no longer provide the jobs, let them provide the welfare
system. Isn't that exactly what the current administration want's anyway? Less jobs,
and more dependency on the system? Control?

Yes, a Computer Will Take Your Job. Can We Handle the Transition to a Jobless Future?

With the unemployment rate falling to 5.3 percent, the lowest in seven years, policy makers are heaving a sigh of relief. Indeed, with the technology boom in progress, there is a lot to be optimistic about. Manufacturing will be returning to U.S. shores with robots doing the job of Chinese workers; American carmakers will be mass-producing self-driving electric vehicles; technology companies will develop medical devices that greatly improve health and longevity; we will have unlimited clean energy and 3D-print our daily needs. The cost of all these things will plummet and make it possible to provide for the basic needs of every human being.

I am talking about technology advances that are happening now, which will bear fruit in the 2020s.

But policy makers will have a big new problem to deal with: the disappearance of human jobs. Not only will there be fewer jobs for people doing manual work, but the jobs of knowledge workers will also be replaced by computers. Almost every industry and profession will be impacted, and this will create a new set of social problems -- because most people can't adapt to such dramatic change.

If we can develop the economic structures necessary to distribute the prosperity we are creating, most people will no longer have to work to sustain themselves. They will be free to pursue other creative endeavors. The problem, however, is that without jobs, they will not have the dignity, social engagement and sense of fulfillment that comes from work. The life, liberty and pursuit of happiness that the Constitution entitles us to won't be through labor; it will have to be through other means.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/vivek-wadhwa/yes-a-computer-will-take-your-job_b_7743914.html?utm_hp_ref=science&ir=Science

None of this would even matter if tptb had not stunted human technological advancement. We should have been entering the space industry commercially long before now. And that would have provided much needed jobs. But instead we have a morally declining society that is manipulated.

1 person likes this

None of this would even matter if tptb had not stunted human technological advancement. We should have been entering the space industry commercially long before now. And that would have provided much needed jobs. But instead we have a morally declining society that is manipulated.

In a certain sense, it kinda makes ya look forward to an end of mankinds rule, doesn't it?

2 people like this

blah blah blah, I am already too qualified to work since I have 3 college desgrees and got the second top spot in my college/etc. I can't even find one place that will hire me, and its been this way for about 12 years now. I did find some pos jobs where basically you are used, underpaid, robbed of your money, and expected to put on a happy face. I asked for assistance and was turned down because I don't fit into their mold (no kids, don't live in the city, live in below government standards for all my life since there is no money, malnourished, barely get by, and that is just selling whatever I can find to sell. Talk about the robots taking over the jobs, what jobs?

When are they going to invent a computer to mow my lawn? I can see it now, the lawn mowing robot short circuits in the brutal summer heat and starts plowing a path through the neighborhood killing children riding their bikes.

If you want a job in the new world, learn to work with your hands. I think it will be a long time before a computer can repair  the coil on my air conditioning unit or replace my garbage disposal..but I could be wrong.

That's why in the future most jobs will be for technicians and farmers.  There won't be enough jobs for everyone, so a new economic model that doesn't require everyone to work is a must have for future human progression.

People need to just say NO! If we want to keep jobs for humans we need to stop playing their game. I refuse to use the self check out at a store because I want a clerk to have a job. I wont use the ATM because I want a cashier to have a job. I wont deal with automated phone systems, I keep pushing buttons until I reach a human. We have bought into the, "Its quicker, easier, faster" theory and in the process are eliminating jobs.

Then there is the whole college trap. Kids have been told for many years, "You wont get a job without a college education." They borrow 50-100 grand from the government to get a Degree only to graduate saddled with debt they wont be able to pay off until they are 50 years old. There are no jobs to be had, so they live with their parents and sell popcorn at a movie theater with their Business Degree.

The economy can not thrive because these young educated kids can't afford to go out and purchase a house, new car, or anything else due to college debt.

America needs to bring back tech schools and get rid of the stigma associated with getting your hands dirty and blue collar jobs. Oh wait, those manual labor jobs are for the dreamers and illegal aliens.

And lets not forget child labor laws and permits. A 14 year old can not bag groceries because that is child abuse. A 8 year old can not have a lemon-aid stand or a 15 year old can not shovel snow or mow lawns.  By the time the government thinks kids are old enough to work, they have no work ethic because they've sat on their parents couch playing video games for so long they don't want to work anymore.

Its time to say no to the automated world and put humans back to work. As the saying goes, To error is human, to really screw things up, you need a computer!

Now I'll step off my soapbox..LOL

On 7/14/2015, 8:48:10, FurriesRock said:

Why do we need jobs?  We don't need jobs, we need to move beyond that box to what comes next.  Staying in the eat, work, die paradigm will keep us as slaves. 

A slave works, a free man does not.

And please remain within the lines while doing all of the above!

And please remain within the lines while doing all of the above!

LOL

When are they going to invent a computer to mow my lawn? I can see it now, the lawn mowing robot short circuits in the brutal summer heat and starts plowing a path through the neighborhood killing children riding their bikes.

If you want a job in the new world, learn to work with your hands. I think it will be a long time before a computer can repair  the coil on my air conditioning unit or replace my garbage disposal..but I could be wrong.

Sorry these have been out since now around 14 years at least, its just the stores haven't capitalized on them because the regular lawn mower makes them lots of $ also.

I seen them @ disney world when I was like 11 or so...

Its like a roomba..

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=automatic+mowing+lawn+mowers&ia=products

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.