Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
DarkKnightNomeD

California Farms Are Using Fracking Wastewater to Grow Crops

5 posts in this topic

California Farms Are Using Drilling Wastewater to Grow Crops

by Alex NussbaumDavid Wethe

July 8, 2015 — 6:01 PM CDT Updated on July 9, 2015 — 1:34 PM CDT

Read the full article in the link above.

California’s epic drought is pushing Big Oil to solve a problem it’s struggled with for decades: what to do with the billions of gallons of wastewater that gush out of wells every year.

Golden State drillers have pumped much of that liquid back underground into disposal wells. Now, amid a four-year dry spell, more companies are looking to recycle their water or sell it to parched farms as the industry tries to get ahead of environmental lawsuits and new regulations.

The trend could have implications for oil patches across the country. With fracking boosting the industry’s thirst for water, companies have run into conflicts from Texas to Colorado to Pennsylvania. California could be an incubator for conservation efforts that have so far failed to gain traction elsewhere in the U.S

Drillers may have little choice. The state’s 50,000 disposal wells have come under increased scrutiny this year, after regulators said they’d mistakenly allowed companies to inject wastewater near underground drinking supplies. Environmental groups sued the state to stop the practice at 2,500 sites considered most sensitive.

A win for environmentalists could drive up disposal prices and delay drilling by months for Chevron Corp., Linn Energy LLC and other companies, according to a June 12 report by Bloomberg Intelligence analysts Brandon Barnes and Matthew Kerner.

Conservation Rising

Conservation is “suddenly leaping to the forefront,” said Laura Capper, founder of Houston-based CAP Resources, which advises the industry on water use. “You’re going to see a lot of retrofit programs. If they’re not already recycling, they’ll be adapting.”

Sarah Nordin, a spokeswoman at Linn, didn’t return messages seeking comment on the lawsuit. Cam Van Ast, a Chevron spokesman, declined to discuss it.

In central California’s San Joaquin Valley, Chevron piped almost 8 billion gallons of treated wastewater to almond and pistachio farmers last year. California Resources Corp., the state’s biggest oil producer, plans to quadruple the water it sells to growers, Chief Executive Officer Todd Stevens told investors at an April conference.

An environmental group, Water Defense, questioned earlier this year whether Chevron’s sales to farmers risked industrial chemicals contaminating the food chain. The local water-quality control board ordered the company to conduct tests and Chevron says it has met all the pollution standards in its permit.

The Stupidity is off the charts now.

Edited by DarkKnightNomeD

Its all going crazy !  Its the weekend ! With one opened eye watching the world burn I am going to take some time to myself and chase my girlfriend around the table LOL

Well - huh - my birthday present has been decided - want another good pressure cooker.  Need to start canning stuff from the local good farms (non gmo, pesticides etc).  We get a lot of produce from CA.

Edited by Tude

Meanwhile in Illinois. too much rain is affecting crop yields. July temps of 69 degrees??

7/6/2015 Livingston County, IL: I farmed for 40 yrs before retiring. I now do consulting through our laboratory. I have not seen more messed up bean fields in the years I farmed than this year. I would say that the yields could be down as much as 20 to 25 percent. Just too much water. Besides that many fields were put in after the 1st of June, which will also affect the yields. Many fields east and north of Livingston county have not been planted the first time. It will be interesting to see what the rest of the growing season brings.

7/8/2015 Knox County, IL: Stopped raining for eight days, then another inch and more coming. Water Fraction by Volume (wfv) measurements returned to above saturation limits from the soil surface down through 60 inches for virtually all of Illinois. We are now 30 days into these extremely wet soil conditions and the July forecast is for above average precip. Today, central Illinois will set a new low for the high daily temp of just 69 degrees...the old mark of 72 dating back to @ 1883.

http://www.agweb.com/agweb-crop-comments/

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.