Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fourth echelon

The Internet Is Now Officially Too Big as IP Addresses Run Out

6 posts in this topic

The Internet as we know it is now officially too big for its britches.

The organization that assigns IP addresses in North America — the numbers that identify every computer, smartphone and device connected to the Internet — ran out of numbers overnight Wednesday. It's not the end of the world, because there's a newer, more robust system rolling out, but it's a milestone in our shared online history, nonetheless.

IP addresses are the four-number strings like 74.125.224.72 that you'll sometimes see in your browser's address bar, in the guts of your smartphone's system settings, or that you might be asked to type in to your cable modem or WiFi router. That address, 74.125.224.72, is one of many that should take you to Google.com.

It's like the highway system. If you're driving through New York, you might take Interstate 95 or I-190 or I-287. But in plain English, it's all the New York State Thruway.

There are five huge nonprofit regional organizations that hand out those addresses around the world. For the first time, the American Registry for Internet Numbers, in charge of North America, had to turn down a request for a block of addresses Wednesday because it didn't have enough.

So it activated its "Unmet Request Policy," it said — basically saying sorry, but if you want all of those requested addresses, you'll have to sit on ARIN's waiting list until they somehow become free or buy them on the open market.

Current systems use ipv4 and they have over the last year been switching to ipv6. Its annoying but i guess it needs to happen.

i have IPV4. somehow my pc wont recognize IPV6

Yeh not much can interpret IPV6 until it changes fully. It has limited support

i have IPV4. somehow my pc wont recognize IPV6

How do we know that they really ran out of numbers?

What's to keep tptb from transferring all their accounts to the new system, then crashing the old one with all these uppity conspiracy sites? 

How do we know that they really ran out of numbers?

What's to keep tptb from transferring all their accounts to the new system, then crashing the old one with all these uppity conspiracy sites? 

Submit an application to get your new number? The internet is indeed a beast.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.