Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fourth echelon

Are We At Risk Of Asteroid Armageddon?

3 posts in this topic

A team of scientists and astronauts is campaigning for more research into the detection of asteroids on the anniversary of a strike that devastated an 800-mile area.

In 1908, a space rock smashed into forest in Tunguska, Siberia, and took out an area equivalent in size to a major metropolitan city.

Organisers of Asteroid Day are staging events worldwide to campaign for a 100-fold increase in the tracking and detection of Near Earth Objects (NEOs).

The team behind '100X' want 100,000 NEOs to be spotted every year for the next decade.

They say a million asteroids with the potential to strike Earth exist in our solar system but fewer than 1% have been discovered to date. 

"Our surveillance of Near Earth Objects is not good enough, so we are trying to ramp up the rate of detection by 100 times,” said astrophysicist and former Queen rocker Brian May.

http://news.sky.com/story/1510745/are-we-at-risk-of-asteroid-armageddon

1 person likes this

This is not an "if" kind of doom, it is certainly a "when" kind of doom.

I like to watch this video from time to time to remind myself not to get too caught up in human-made drama when we live in a shooting gallery in our solar system.

(I actually watch a different version, one without the narration, but he explains the color codes and other information in the above video)

This is not an "if" kind of doom, it is certainly a "when" kind of doom.

I like to watch this video from time to time to remind myself not to get too caught up in human-made drama when we live in a shooting gallery in our solar system.

(I actually watch a different version, one without the narration, but he explains the color codes and other information in the above video)

Good stuff RW, thanks.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.