Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

There’s a giant hole that’s draining a lake on the border of Oklahoma and Texas like it’s a bathtub

4 posts in this topic

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/giant-hole-draining-lake-bathtub-184500162.html

Like something straight out of "The Twilight Zone", a swirling vortex has opened up in a giant lake on the border of Oklahoma and Texas.

The gaping hole — which appeared recently in Lake Texoma — alarmed everyone from Twitter users to the Tulsa District US Army Corps of Engineers, who posted a YouTube video of the vortex. Below the video, they describe the hole as being "8 feet in diameter and capable of sucking in a full-sized boat."

But despite how crazy it looks, there's a perfectly normal explanation for the spooky hole:

The water is being drained.

"Just like in your house when you fill a bathtub full of water and [open] the drain, it will develop a vortex or whirlpool," BJ Parkey, assistant lake manager at Lake Texoma, told Business Insider.

One of the largest reservoirs in the US, Lake Texoma lies on the border of Oklahoma and Texas and is formed by the buildup of water at Denison Dam on the Red River. When the water levels get too high, as they have in recent weeks, the Army Corps opens sluices, called floodgates, at the bottom of the lake to drain the water into the river. The flowing water creates cyclonic action, much like a tornado, which is widest at the top and tapers down at its tip, said Parkey.

Makes me wonder how many bodies may be down there?

​Geez, my first thought was for the fish getting sucked away... :huh:

Maybe those that live in the hollow earth need to fill their swimming pool .. :huh:

which appeared recently in Lake Texoma and alarmed everyone from Twitter users to the Tulsa District US Army Corps of Engineers This makes it sound like it is not man made ..

the Army Corps opens sluices, called floodgates, at the bottom of the lake to drain the water into the river. This makes it sound like it is man made ..

Plug it up and ship that water to California or Lake Mead in http://farmville2.co/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/buckets.png past along by those illegal boarder jumpers https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-4cvCa6ts0B8/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAAiQ/Eoxf66a5jJk/photo.jpg?sz=50 on food stamps . :conspiracy: on my part .. :tongue: 

CasspersSoapbox_120Infadale.jpg.c417b8f4 I know I am bad but I have good intentions .. CSB

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.