Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cinnamon

Confederate Flag removal (from just about everywhere)

35 posts in this topic

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/22/politics/confederate-flag-walmart-south-carolina/

Walmart to stop selling Confederate Flag Merchandise.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/charleston-church-shooting/south-carolina-gov-nikki-haley-calls-removal-confederate-flag-state-n379801

Removal of flag from S.Carolina state capitol.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-confederate-plates-20150622-story.html

Calls to ban flag from license plates in Maryland and other states.

The list goes on and on.

The Confederate Flag is a rebel flag. The Civil War was fought over secession of the southern states, it was not a war fought for the sole purpose of freeing the slaves of that era, though that was probably the only good thing that came out of that bloody mess. The Confederate Flag is one of those symbols that many southerners identify with as part of their history and others despise because of racist connotations.

Will making it disappear change anything? Or is this just another distraction?

Yay!!! That flag has been a bone of contention for so many for so long. Time for all to get along!

The Confederate Flag has nothing to do with slavery. Maybe they should teach history in school instead of worrying about what the kids are having for lunch.

History books, the media, the school systems, etc abound in falsehoods and inaccuracies of Confederate and Southern history. This fact sheet will help to clarify and dispell some of these rampant inaccuracies.

MYTH  -   The War of 1861 - 1865 was fought over slavery.

FACT  -   Terribly untrue. The North fought the war over money. Plain and simple. When the South started Secession, Lincoln was asked, "Why not let the South go in peace?" To which he replied, "I can't let them go. Who would pay for the government?" Sensing total financial ruin for the North, Lincoln waged war on the South. The South fought the War to repel Northern aggression and invasion.

MYTH  -   Only Southerners owned slaves.

FACT  -   Entirely untrue. Many Northern civilians owned slaves. Prior to, during and even after the War Of Northern Aggression.

Surprisingly, to many history impaired individuals, most Union Generals and staff had slaves to serve them! William T. Sherman had many slaves that served him until well after the war was over and did not free them until late in 1865.

U.S. Grant also had several slaves, who were only freed after the 13th amendment in December of 1865. When asked why he didn't free his slaves earlier, Grant stated "Good help is so hard to come by these days."

Contrarily, Confederate General Robert E. Lee freed his slaves (which he never purchased - they were inherited) in 1862!!! Lee freed his slaves several years before the war was over, and considerably earlier than his Northern counterparts. And during the fierce early days of the war when the South was obliterating the Yankee armies!

Lastly, and most importantly, why did NORTHERN States outlaw slavery only AFTER the war was over? The so-called "Emancipation Proclamation" of Lincoln only gave freedom to slaves in the SOUTH! NOT in the North! This pecksniffery even went so far as to find the state of Delaware rejecting the 13th Amendment in December of 1865 and did not ratify it (13th Amendment / free the slaves) until 1901!

MYTH  -   The Confederate Battle Flag was flown on slave ships.

FACT  -   NONE of the flags of the Confederacy or Southern Nation ever flew over a slave ship. Nor did the South own or operate any slaves ships. The English, the Dutch and the Portugese brought slaves to this country, not the Southern Nation.

BUT, even more monumental, it is also very important to know and understand that Federal, Yankee, Union ships brought slaves to America! These ships were from the New England states, and their hypocrisy is atrocious.

These Federals were ones that ended up crying the loudest about slavery. But without their ships, many of the slaves would have never arrived here. They made countless fortunes on the delivery of slaves as well as the products madefrom raw materials such as cotton and tobacco in the South.

This is the problem with Yankee history History is overwhelmingly portrayed incorrectly by most of the Federal & Yankee books and media.

MYTH  -   The Confederate Battle Flag represented the Southern Nation.

FACT  -   Not true. While the Southern Battle flag was carried into battle, the Southern Nation had 3 different National flags during the course of the war.

The First National flag was changed due to a resemblance of the US flag.

The Second National flag was subsequently modified due to the similarity to a flag of truce.

The Third National flag was the adopted flag of the Confederacy.

The Confederate Battle Flag was never a National Flag of the Confederacy. It was carried into battle by several armies such as the Army Of Northen Virginia and the Army of Tennessee. Was also used as a Naval Jack by the Confederate Navy.

More history at the link: http://www.rulen.com/myths/

2 people like this

These retailers have announced bans of the flag and related items:
— Wal-Mart Stores Inc.
— Sears Holdings Corp.
— EBay Inc.
— Etsy Inc.
— Spencer Gifts
http://www.startribune.com/retailers-that-have-banned-sales-of-the-confederate-flag/309365341/

And now amazon:

"Notably, Amazon also bans "offensive products," which include "products that promote or glorify hatred, violence, racial, sexual or religious intolerance or promote organizations with such views."
On Tuesday, Amazon followed other major retailers, including Wal-Mart (WMT) and Sears (SHLD), in banning sales of the Confederate flag. The Confederate flag has once again become toxic in the aftermath of a shooting last week at a historic black church in Charleston, South Carolina.
Amazon had more than 29,000 listings for Confederate flags, posters, knives and other memorabilia."

http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/23/technology/amazon-banned-products

Confederate flags are selling at an all time high right now, I love it, I may change my profile picture to it.

Mississippi to propose removal of Confederate emblem from state flag
Lawmakers in Mississippi plan to propose legislation to remove the Confederate emblem from the state flag, as momentum grows across the south for symbols that evoke the era of slavery to be removed from public view.
-----

Photographs of the suspect, Dylann Roof, show him holding a Confederate flag. Many African Americans consider it to be a symbol of racial hatred. The South Carolina governor, Nikki Haley, on Monday called for the flag to be removed from the statehouse grounds.

Kenny Jones, a Mississippi state senator, said he and others would consider pre-filing a bill to change the flag in order to gauge support ahead of the next legislative session, which starts in January.

Mississippi is the only state that has the Confederate battle saltire in its flag, though six others have designs that allude to the group of secessionist states that fought unsuccessfully to leave the United States in the civil war of 1861-65. Virginia governor Terry McAuliffe indicated on Tuesday he would move to have the flag banished from state license plates.

Mississippi has used the design since 1894 and held a referendum in 2001 in which two-thirds voted in favour of keeping it.

-----
“It goes back to everything stereotypical that people have seen over the years when it comes to the south. I just think it’s time to change it … It’s an insult, it’s very offensive to all African Americans everywhere,” he said.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/23/mississippi-confederate-flag-consider-dropping-emblem

This is so ridiculous. They want to change our history, again, to suit their racist agenda.
Will they ban the American flag next because it might offend illegal immigrants?
Maybe we should all fly the rainbow flag so no ones feelings get hurt. 

Virginia governor orders Confederate flag removed from license plates

Virginia will phase out vehicle license plates featuring the Confederate battle flag, the state's governor said on Tuesday, following the fatal shootings of nine black worshipers at a historic South Carolina church, allegedly by a white gunman.

The state, which was part of the pro-slavery Confederacy in the U.S. Civil War, will no longer allow specialty license plates for the Sons of Confederate Veterans group that feature the flag, said Governor Terry McAuliffe, a Democrat.

Georgia Governor Nathan Deal also said Tuesday that he will seek a redesign of Georgia’s state-issued Sons of Confederate Veterans license plates, which is set on a Confederate battle flag background.

Supporters of the flag describe it as a symbol of the South's history and culture as well a memorial to the roughly 480,000 Confederate Civil War casualties, but detractors see it as a symbol of racism.

http://news.yahoo.com/virginia-governor-orders-confederate-flag-removed-license-plates-152930901.html

How about we make Hello Kitty license plates mandatory for all who are offended by the confederate flag plates.

I can't stand it anymore. The apologists are making everyone look like pussies, ripe for takeover. Oh wait, that already happened.

More states seeing Confederate statues defaced

Confederate statues in South Carolina, Maryland and Texas were discovered defaced this week with the words "Black Lives Matter."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/confederate-statues-defaced-charleston-shooting-black-lives-matter/

Yes, black lives matter and so do our monuments.
Vandalism is a crime and solves nothing. It just proves the criminals have no regard for others.
I wish someone could get it through their heads that all this is counter productive.

http://oaklandilgenealogy.blogspot.com/2009/09/lincoln-doulgas-debate-charleston-coles.html

Lincoln/ Douglas Debate- Charleston, Coles Co, Illinois- 18 Sept 1858:

'While I was at the hotel to-day an elderly gentleman called upon me to know whether I was really in favor of producing a perfect equality between the negroes and white people. [Great laughter]...I will say then that I am not, nor ever been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, [applause]— that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between white and black races which I believe will for ever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality... Judge Douglas has said to you that he has not been able to get from me an answer to the question whether I am in favor of negro citizenship. So far as I know, the Judge never asked me the question before. [Applause.] He shall have no occasion to ever ask it again, for I tell him very frankly that I am not in favor of negro citizenship. [Renewed applause.] ...Now my opinion is that the different States have power to make a negro a citizen under the Constitution of the United States if they choose. The Dred Scott decision decides that they have not that power. If the State of Illinois had that power I should be opposed to the exercise of it. [Cries of "good," "good," and applause.] That is all I have to say about it.'- Abraham Lincoln      

A post from Hallucinogenicz

Lol, here is Robert E Lee sounding better than Abraham Lincoln

"... In this enlightened age, there are few I believe, but what will acknowledge, that slavery as an institution, is a moral & political evil in any Country. It is useless to expatiate on its disadvantages. I think it however a greater evil to the white man than to the black race, & while my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more strong for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, socially & physically. The painful discipline they are undergoing, is necessary for their instruction as a race, & I hope will prepare & lead them to better things. How long their subjugation may be necessary is known & ordered by a wise Merciful Providence."
—Robert E. Lee

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.