Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AnonG

10 Plants That Naturally Repel Mosquitoes

3 posts in this topic

http://beforeitsnews.com/contributor/upload/30080/images/mosqinfo.jpg

(N.Morgan) One of the things that can ruin a nice summer day or evening are Mosquitoes.

The annoying buzzing around and awful bites that leave you with an itchy trail of discomfort.

In this article, we will discuss 10 plants you can grow that naturally repel Mosquitoes and can make your summertime fun more enjoyable.

As we know it is that time of year again – mosquito time!

Chances are, you have heard of many of the plants that naturally repel mosquitoes and many pests.

And, best of all, they can be found at your local nursery.

Using plants to deter pesky insects is an easy, safe and natural alternative to store-bought sprays and chemicals.

More with Video and Photos http://beforeitsnews.com/survival/2015/06/10-plants-that-naturally-repel-mosquitoes-video-2574934.html

1 person likes this

Great topic. Here is my favorite, a common native shrub in southeastern states. The crushed leaves also have a pleasant odor. I allow them to grow wherever they volunteer on my property. When I'm bothered with biting insects, I pull a few leaves off a plant and rub them on exposed skin. It works like a charm!

American beautyberry, Callicarpa americana.

Credit: Stephen Duke, ARS

Swatting mosquitoes and dodging other biting bugs is nearly a year-round chore in the Southeast, but such pests are swarming across the country with the advent of summer weather. And with warnings about West Nile virus and other insect-borne diseases out, keeping the pests away has taken on new urgency.

A traditional folk remedy, known among people in Mississippi’s hill country for at least a century, may provide some relief without all the worries of DEET and other harsh chemicals. Scientists at the United States Department of Agriculture-Agriculture Research Service housed at the National Center for Natural Products Research at the University of Mississippi have isolated compounds in the American beautyberry plant, Callicarpa americana, that may keep chomping insects away.

“My grandfather would cut branches with the leaves still on them and crush the leaves, then he and his brothers would stick the branches between the harness and the horse to keep deerflies, horseflies and mosquitoes away,” said Charles T. Bryson, an ARS botanist in Stoneville, Miss. “I was a small child, maybe 7 or 8 years old, when he told me about the plant the first time. For almost 40 years, I’ve grabbed a handful of leaves, crushed them and rubbed them on my skin with the same results.”

Bryson told his supervisor about the folklore repellent, and in 2004 the USDA-ARS at the UM natural products research center began investigating the beautyberry plant as a potential natural insect repellent.

Charles Cantrell, an ARS chemist in Oxford, and Jerry Klun, an ARS entomologist in Beltsville, Md., confirmed that the natural remedy wards off biting insects, such as ticks, ants and mosquitoes: “I’ve rubbed the leaves on my arms, and it works,” Cantrell said.

“Traditional folklore remedies many times are found to lead nowhere following scientific research,” he continued. “The beautyberry plant and its ability to repel mosquitoes is an exception. We actually identified naturally occurring chemicals in the plant responsible for this activity."

Read more at

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/07/060703091932.htm

http://www.backyardbrevard.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/beautyberry3.jpg

1 person likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.