Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CGK

Lessons Learned

2 posts in this topic

Tuesday morning Tropical storm Bill was approaching my area. Having access to TV, phone and internet  to monitor weather conditions was essential.  As one of the feeder bands was hammering my area, all Verizon services when out at my house. I went to a neighbors to see if their services were out too. No, it was just me.

I did some troubleshooting before I called Verizon and isolated the problem. The network interface box on the outside of the house had gotten water in it and most likely fried the motherboard.

I borrowed the neighbors phone and called Verizon Tech support. I told them what the problem was. “The is NO dial tone at the network Interface and all communication lights are off but power.” As usual they insisted I spend the next 45 minutes playing trouble shooting games.

Take the battery out of the backup for the phone, push this button, push that button, wait for the beep, unplug this, unplug that, reset this, and wait for that. I’m sure most of you are quite familiar the call center script drill that one has to go through before they decide to send out a tech.

The conclusion was, yea, it’s broken, and they need to send a tech out to the house. Their first available appointment was Thursday!

This is where lessons learned comes into play. I cranked up a battery-operated radio so I could follow weather updates. I have an old TV converter box and antenna, which I plugged in and got FREE TV through the air.  I listened for emergency info on my hand held ham radio.

After the first 24 hours of freaking out over not having the internet or a phone, a sense of peace took over and I rediscovered books and old movies. Thank you Verizon for teaching me that I can live without your services if I so choose to do so.

This has also been a good prepping exercise. If the power was out as well as communications, I  have a gas powered generator, but in a real emergency, there may not be access to gasoline.  My next big purchase will be a solar powered generator.

If you think you are prepared for whatever life may throw at you…think again. I would highly suggest that you throw the main power breaker at your place of residence, unplug completely from all communications for at least 24 hours and evaluate your situation. You might be surprised to discover that maybe you are not as prepared as you think you are.

(Follow up) Verizon just sent out the most amazing Tech WOMAN I have ever met! She replaced the network interface box and got me back up and running in no time!

2 people like this

Tuesday morning Tropical storm Bill was approaching my area. Having access to TV, phone and internet  to monitor weather conditions was essential.  As one of the feeder bands was hammering my area, all Verizon services when out at my house. I went to a neighbors to see if their services were out too. No, it was just me.

I did some troubleshooting before I called Verizon and isolated the problem. The network interface box on the outside of the house had gotten water in it and most likely fried the motherboard.

I borrowed the neighbors phone and called Verizon Tech support. I told them what the problem was. “The is NO dial tone at the network Interface and all communication lights are off but power.” As usual they insisted I spend the next 45 minutes playing trouble shooting games.

Take the battery out of the backup for the phone, push this button, push that button, wait for the beep, unplug this, unplug that, reset this, and wait for that. I’m sure most of you are quite familiar the call center script drill that one has to go through before they decide to send out a tech.

The conclusion was, yea, it’s broken, and they need to send a tech out to the house. Their first available appointment was Thursday!

This is where lessons learned comes into play. I cranked up a battery-operated radio so I could follow weather updates. I have an old TV converter box and antenna, which I plugged in and got FREE TV through the air.  I listened for emergency info on my hand held ham radio.

After the first 24 hours of freaking out over not having the internet or a phone, a sense of peace took over and I rediscovered books and old movies. Thank you Verizon for teaching me that I can live without your services if I so choose to do so.

This has also been a good prepping exercise. If the power was out as well as communications, I  have a gas powered generator, but in a real emergency, there may not be access to gasoline.  My next big purchase will be a solar powered generator.

If you think you are prepared for whatever life may throw at you…think again. I would highly suggest that you throw the main power breaker at your place of residence, unplug completely from all communications for at least 24 hours and evaluate your situation. You might be surprised to discover that maybe you are not as prepared as you think you are.

(Follow up) Verizon just sent out the most amazing Tech WOMAN I have ever met! She replaced the network interface box and got me back up and running in no time!

That's the same thing that happened to me. The Verizon tech said they were the older designed boxes,
and that they were prone to water leakages. Said mine was loaded with water. Once changed though,
all was well. Changed mine just two days ago on tuesday 06/16.

Also did all the resets and battery out for 2 minutes, but nothing. The tech on the phone said to leave
the baterry out for one hour, and that sometimes solves the problem, and it did fo a while, but after about
one hour, down again. Didn't matter though. My appointment was set for the next morning between 8-10.

My box was on the south side of my house, and not even on the nothern side where it would've been
hit harder by the nor'easters that come off the atlantic. It did survive Irene and sandy though because
it was on the south side I suppose!

Edited by Cryptic Mole

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.