Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fourth echelon

what happens when a sea swallows a country?

19 posts in this topic

If sea levels rise as feared, some of the world’s island nations may disappear this century. Does that mean they no longer exist as countries, asks Rachel Nuwer.

As the seaplane lifts off the water’s surface and begins to climb, paradise opens up beneath us. The deep blue ocean stretches in every direction, but it is punctuated here and there by aquamarine discs of shallow coral reef that give way to the slightest slivers of white sand. Lavish hotels clinging to those oases sprout tentacles of bungalows, extending their small stake of precious solid ground.

People come from all over the world to experience the impeccable luxury of the Maldives, a nation composed of around 1,200 islands, located 370 miles (595km) off the southernmost tip of India. Despite its remoteness, the resorts here – each located on its own private island – are unparalleled. Guests can sip $40 (£25.60) glasses of Champagne at freshwater pools’ swim-up bars, dine on Russian caviar and Wagyu steak, and stream the latest episode of Game of Thrones in their air-conditioned suite. Nothing is lacking, nothing is out of reach. Yet amid all this, a sinking realisation constantly undermines the islands’ carefully manicured perfection. It’s the knowledge that all of this may soon be gone. The nation, with its low-lying islands, has been labelled the most at-risk country in South Asia from the impact of climate change. Even if the swooning honeymooners do not allow this thought to mar their vacation, for the ever-smiling staff members, it’s harder to ignore. “Of course I’m concerned about climate change, about the reef, the environment and pollution,” says Mansoor, a Maldivian who works at one of the resorts. “But what can I do? I don’t know.”

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150616-what-happens-when-the-sea-swallows-a-country

What happens?  Maybe someone like Donovan will write a new song.. hee-hee-hee-smiley-emoticon.gif

Edited by Cinnamon
song lyrics copyrighted removed

Oh no the jet setting 1 percent may loose something they like. Dont care they are delusional and completely  irrelevant  anyways. phony science and phony scientists with fraudulent proof of a phony made up scarry scarry threat. When manbearpig uses a prius instead of a SUV burries his Olympic pool and sells his Private jet  then I will believe it. Untill then suckit

2 people like this

According to science we have just entered a mini ice age, so if true, the sea
levels should actually begin doing the opposite of what you're claiming. I was
gonna say "we shall see", but maybe not in our lifetime.

According to science we have just entered a mini ice age, so if true, the sea
levels should actually begin doing the opposite of what you're claiming. I was
gonna say "we shall see", but maybe not in our lifetime.

​What science would that be then?

​What science would that be then?

​Taking into consideration that it can actually take a few years before you notice a
mini ice age has begun, below are just a few links that either claim we are in, or are
about to be. Besides, I just don't believe we are in a global warming situation. Let's
not forget how the government got caught with all those hacked emails a number of
years back. So I'm not buying into the warming, but that being said, I am also on the
side of caution as far as mini ice ages go even though I believe the ice age is much
more plausable!

http://www.sott.net/article/291747-Indian-space-scientists-fear-the-return-of-a-mini-ice-age
http://www.sott.net/article/241838-Russian-Scientist-New-Ice-Age-to-Begin-in-2014
http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/healthscience/2014/January/Cover-Up-Mounting-Evidence-Belies-Global-Warming/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2541599/Is-mini-ice-age-way-Scientists-warn-Sun-gone-sleep-say-cause-temperatures-plunge.html 

Note: You will also notice that in my original post before this one that I did say "so if true."

Edited by Cryptic Mole

http://beforeitsnews.com/contributor/upload/21949/images/Gtemps480.jpg

Earth temperatures have their ups and down. Literally. And regularly, even before humans blundered into the landscape, burning trees and fossil fuels.

It is a natural cycle, as Terra travel through the galaxy and enters the dark rift. Or the Gould Belt. More graphs bear out this pattern:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ice+age+chart&id=5D5EF93F7222D8FAF6DBE4FC84A21E6FF802EAD5&FORM=IQFRBA&PC=SMSM

​Taking into consideration that it can actually take a few years before you notice amini ice age has begun, below are just a few links that either claim we are in, or are
about to be. Besides, I just don't believe we are in a global warming situation. Let's
not forget how the government got caught with all those hacked emails a number of
years back. So I'm not buying into the warming, but that being said, I am also on the
side of caution as far as mini ice ages go even though I believe the ice age is much
more plausable!

http://www.sott.net/article/291747-Indian-space-scientists-fear-the-return-of-a-mini-ice-age
http://www.sott.net/article/241838-Russian-Scientist-New-Ice-Age-to-Begin-in-2014
http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/healthscience/2014/January/Cover-Up-Mounting-Evidence-Belies-Global-Warming/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2541599/Is-mini-ice-age-way-Scientists-warn-Sun-gone-sleep-say-cause-temperatures-plunge.html 

Note: You will also notice that in my original post before this one that I did say "so if true."

Indian space scientists fear the return of a 'mini ice age'

The fewer sunspot activities on the Sun witnessed since the last two solar cycles might lead to a "mini ice age-like situation" in coming years, Shrinivas Aundhkar, the director of Mahatma Gandhi Mission, Centre for Astronomy and Space Technology, Nanded, said here on Tuesday. 

[Might] [and who is this guy - I can't find any climate change papers from him]

"The sunspots that can be seen on the Sun have comparatively less temperature compared to other surfaces on it (Sun)," he said while addressing a gathering for a lecture, Get Ready for Little Ice Age, held as part of the Narendra Dabholkar lecture series. 

Aundhkar, who has worked with scientists across the world on Sun-Earth connection, said, "The Sun undergoes two cycles that are described as maximum and minimum. The activity alternates every 11 years, and the period is termed as one solar cycle. At present, the Sun is undergoing the minimum phase, reducing global temperatures." 

[What evidence did he produce for this assertion?]

He said winter temperatures have dropped in the northern polar cap and is leading to severe winters. "This has also triggered the jet stream, which is active in the northern parts of the globe to shift in inter tropical climate zone like India. As a result, cold wind conditions were witnessed during the last two years. The unseasonal hailstorms in November and December are a result of the influence of the jet stream. This has also led to steady weakening of magnetic energy of the Sun, leading to mini ice age like situation," he said. 

[What temperature record did he use as evidence?]

[Warmer temps at the Arctic are thought to be behind the wavering jet stream]

"The Sun, our energy source, goes through phases of violent (maximum phase) and quiet (minimum phase) activity every 11 years, which is called one solar cycle. The effects of minimum activity of a solar cycle are seen for about a year. However, it has been revealed that the minimum activity was seen for more than four years in the recently concluded solar cycle. Thus, it was the longest and quietest minimum phase in the past 100 years," the scientist said. 

"The Earth may be heading towards a mini-ice age period, which is similar to what was observed in the 17th century. During the time, the sunspots on the Sun were absent. This led to a drop in northern hemisphere temperature by 2-3 degrees. The current scenario is almost same. Such climatic conditions might affect the agricultural pattern and health and trigger disasters in the worst scenario," he added. 

Russian Scientist: New Ice Age to Begin in 2014

Russia-ic.com
Mon, 20 Feb 2012 17:20 UTC

Forecasters predict that a new ice age will begin soon. Habibullo Abdusamatov, a scientist from the Pulkovo Observatory of the Russian Academy of Sciences considers that the sharp drop in temperature will start on the Earth in 2014. 
[And we know from the temperature record that global temps didn't drop]

According to the scientist, our planet began to "get cold" in the 1990s. The new ice age will last at least two centuries, with its peak in 2055. 
[Wow, I don't know what to say]

It is interesting, that the same date was chosen by the supporters of the theory of global warming. According to them, in 2055 the Earth will start to "boil"
[nope, mainstream climate scientists claim no such thing]

The expected decrease in temperature may have to become the fifth over the past nine centuries, reports Hydrometeorological Center of Russia. Experts call this phenomenon the "little ice age", it was observed in the XII, XV, XVII, XIX centuries. This cyclicity makes the theory of upcoming cold weather in XXI century look like truth. 

Global Cooling: Is an Ice Age Coming? 

COPENHAGEN, Denmark -- It wasn't supposed to happen: a ship full of scientists and environmentalists sent to the Antarctic to find melting ice from global warming got stuck in frozen ice from fearsome cold.

[No, not from fearsome cold. The ice they got stuck in was smashed from the Mertz glacier several years before and wind patterns sent it their way. ]

Then, the rescue ship got stuck in the ice, too. 

Critics liken the incident to the climate change movement itself: stuck in denial over the fact that the climate is not getting warmer but seems to be getting much colder.

Is a mini ice age on the way? Scientists warn the Sun has 'gone to sleep' and say it could cause temperatures to plunge

'Whatever measure you use, solar peaks are coming down,' Richard Harrison of the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordshire told the BBC.

'I've been a solar physicist for 30 years, and I've never seen anything like this.'

He says the phenomenon could lead to colder winters similar to those during the Maunder Minimum.

[no mention of volcanic activity or changes to ocean circulation]

'There were cold winters, almost a mini ice age. 

'You had a period when the River Thames froze.'

Mole are you referring to Climategate? If so you might to look here - http://www.desmogblog.com/2014/11/19/climategate-five-years-later

I am a little reluctant to remind everyone about the so-called “Climategate”incident that was sparked this day five years ago.

Many people, in the end, were embarrassed by this major attack on climate change scientists when it turned out to be nothing more than manufactured media hype. Nine independent inquiries by multiple agencies all arrived at the same conclusion that the Climategate conspiracy was nonsense

Interestingly enough, the only inquiry that was never concluded was the failed criminal investigation by the UK police into who hacked and stole the private documents.

The fact is that a small number of words (three to be exact) found in over 20,000 pages of stolen documents were taken out of context and spun for the media. All to fit the conspiracy theories of a small band of climate denierswho will never be convinced that climate change is happening and that burning fossil fuels like coal and oil is predominantly to blame.

On 6/17/2015, 1:38:58, grav said:

http://beforeitsnews.com/contributor/upload/21949/images/Gtemps480.jpg

Earth temperatures have their ups and down. Literally. And regularly, even before humans blundered into the landscape, burning trees and fossil fuels.

It is a natural cycle, as Terra travel through the galaxy and enters the dark rift. Or the Gould Belt. More graphs bear out this pattern:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ice+age+chart&id=5D5EF93F7222D8FAF6DBE4FC84A21E6FF802EAD5&FORM=IQFRBA&PC=SMSM

Grav no one claims that the climate hasn't shifted in the past without human intervention.

​Grav no one claims that the climate hasn't shifted in the past without human intervention.

No one? You mean no posters in situ? Then why did you mention it?

"The fact is that a small number of words (three to be exact) found in over 20,000 pages of stolen documents were taken out of context and spun for the media. All to fit the conspiracy theories of a small band of climate deniers who will never be convinced that climate change is happening and that burning fossil fuels like coal and oil is predominantly to blame."  ?

The climate change spin is indeed part of this topic. The global hierarchy can't be trusted to deliver the real data. So we can't know if it's safer to buy an island in the Maldives or a cottage in Alaska. I think I'll buy an acre in New Zealand, but only if it has a runway for my jet.

No one? You mean no posters in situ? Then why did you mention it?

"The fact is that a small number of words (three to be exact) found in over 20,000 pages of stolen documents were taken out of context and spun for the media. All to fit the conspiracy theories of a small band of climate deniers who will never be convinced that climate change is happening and that burning fossil fuels like coal and oil is predominantly to blame."  ?

The climate change spin is indeed part of this topic. The global hierarchy can't be trusted to deliver the real data. So we can't know if it's safer to buy an island in the Maldives or a cottage in Alaska. I think I'll buy an acre in New Zealand, but only if it has a runway for my jet.

​I was referring to the scientific community acknowledging that climate changes and has done so in the past without any human intervention. Sorry if that wasn't clear enough.

The quote you pulled from my reply was dealing with the climate emails. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.