Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lilly

Sleep Paralysis

12 posts in this topic

I noticed we had a few sufferers on the board so wanted to make a thread where we can explore what could be going on. I'll add information that has caught my eye, but everyone else please feel free to chip in!

To begin:

nightmare (n.) Look up nightmare at Dictionary.com
late 13c., "an evil female spirit afflicting sleepers with a feeling of suffocation," compounded from night + mare (3) "goblin that causes nightmares, incubus." Meaning shifted mid-16c. from the incubus to the suffocating sensation it causes. Sense of "any bad dream" first recorded 1829; that of "very distressing experience" is from 1831. Cognate with Middle Dutch nachtmare, German Nachtmahr.
hag-ridden (n.) Look up hag-ridden at Dictionary.com
1680s, "ridden by hags or witches," past-participle adjective from hag-ride (1660s); from hag (n.) + ridden. From 1702 as "oppressed, harassed;" 1758 as "afflicted by nightmares." An old term for sleep paralysis (the sensation of being held immobile in bed, often by a heavy weight, and accompanied by a sense of alien presence). A holed stone hung over the bed was said to prevent it.

In Newfoundland they say that bad people who know how can “hag” you (hag is an old English term for witch). The person who is paralyzed is ridden by a hag – they are “hag rid,” the origin of the term haggard – and one who has the experience repeatedly does rapidly become haggard! It is the hag on you that causes the pressure, sometimes a crushing sensation at the chest. In older English they called it the Mare, from the Anglo-Saxon root merran, “to crush.” And eventually, the nightmare, the crusher who comes in the night. These very different terms – and the da chor, dab coj, poj ntxoog, or dab tsog in southeast Asia; the sitting ghost or bei Guai chaak (being pressed by a ghost) in China; in Japan the kanashibari (“metal bound” a Ninja practice comparable to the English term “spell bound”); the Mara of Sweden, and many more from around the world and throughout history – refer to the same event as the modern term sleep paralysis. But those traditions include a great deal more information – and conjecture – than does “sleep paralysis.” The experience itself is unimaginable to those who have not had it or heard of it from others, so clearly it is not a product of the imagination. But, then, what is it? The one thing certain is that it is still a mystery. There is no simple, conventional explanation. There are those who experience only paralysis, and they are the fortunate ones. But the great majority, more than three quarters of all who have the experience, encounter the evil presence. There are also those for whom the paralysis lasts more than a few seconds or a minute or two. Sometimes this turns into an out-of-body experience.~DARK INTRUSIONS: An Investigation into the Paranormal Nature of Sleep Paralysis Experiences by Louis Proud

This is the trailer for a documentary exploring the horror of sleep paralysis. I haven't found the full version yet.

What if you knew that every night when you went to sleep, you were not alone? That you were surrounded by dark forces watching you - and that you could wake up paralyzed, completely helpless, with these beings standing next to you? Welcome to the spine-tingling horror/documentary hybrid The Nightmare from Rodney Ascher, who last rocked Sundance with his portrait of Kubrick-obsessed fandom, Room 237.

Edited by Lilly

ive got a terrible case of extreme insomnia. i can stay awake from 7am until 3:45am in some cases. been like this since my teen years. sometimes i take melatonin but i dont want to become "dependant" on it.

ive got a terrible case of extreme insomnia. i can stay awake from 7am until 3:45am in some cases. been like this since my teen years. sometimes i take melatonin but i dont want to become "dependant" on it.

​I'm sorry to hear that. Insomnia sucks. My son had a hard time with it for quite a while, I got him some melatonin but never gave it him due to worries about it screwing up his entire system. I got him onto a guided meditation that helped enormously. When I tried the same recording I was zonked out in no time. It took me countless attempts to actually stay awake to the end. 

Good to see you back btw. You were missed!

​I'm sorry to hear that. Insomnia sucks. My son had a hard time with it for quite a while, I got him some melatonin but never gave it him due to worries about it screwing up his entire system. I got him onto a guided meditation that helped enormously. When I tried the same recording I was zonked out in no time. It took me countless attempts to actually stay awake to the end. 

Good to see you back btw. You were missed!

​woot thx. i tried meditation but i dont have the patience. maybe a good ol' hynotism might work hmm

​woot thx. i tried meditation but i dont have the patience. maybe a good ol' hynotism might work hmm

​A trick I use when I can't sleep is "turn it white". 
Picture something that's mostly white to start with like lined paper or a black and white spotted cat. :wink:
Then turn all the the black in the image white in your mind. I almost always fall asleep before I can finish it.

Edited by Lucy Barnable
Glad you're back btw <3

I've had bouts of sleep paralysis all my life. Usually accompanied with Old Hag Syndrome but not always.
It was much more frequent when I was a kid. It would happen a couple times a week if not a couple time a night.
As I got older (teenager) it occurred less often and months would go by without having it at all. 
Now a couple of years can go by without an episode but when it does happen it continues for a short time.

What I've always found so odd is that this phenomenon crosses time and cultures.
Every person who has had it describes almost the exact same thing regardless of their religious beliefs.

We know paralysis while sleeping is normal but the Old Hag Syndrome... I believe it's a cross dimensional entity.

Brain Chemicals That Cause Sleep Paralysis Discovered

The brain chemicals kick into action during rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, a phase that usually begins about 90 minutes into a night's rest. During REM, the brain is very active, and dreams are at their most intense. But the voluntary muscles of the body — arms, legs, fingers, anything that is under conscious control — are paralyzed.
-----
Exactly how the muscles are paralyzed has been a mystery, however. Early studies pegged a neurotransmitter called glycine as the culprit, but paralysis still occurred even when the receptors that read glycine's presence were blocked, disproving that notion.

So University of Toronto researchers Patricia Brooks and John Peever cast a wider net. They focused on two different nerve receptors in the voluntary muscles, one called metabotropic GABAand one called ionotropic GABAA/glycine. The latter receptor responds to both glycine and a different communication chemical called gamma-aminobutyric acid, or GABA, while the first responds to GABA and not glycine.

The researchers used drugs to "switch off" these receptors in rats and discovered that the only way to prevent sleep paralysis during REM was to shut both types off at the same time. What that means is that glycine alone isn't enough to paralyze the muscles. You need GABA, too.

http://www.livescience.com/21653-brain-chemicals-sleep-paralysis.html

1 person likes this

Lucy did any other weird things happen around you/your home at the same time as the SP episodes?

Lucy did any other weird things happen around you/your home at the same time as the SP episodes?

I'm not sure what you mean by weird. lol
​It isn't connected with a location. It can happen anywhere.
I've tried to find a pattern and stress does seem to be related.
But sometimes it's just out of the blue when everything is going fine.

I'm an RPSGT(refisted sleep tech)

Often sleep paralysis  is an indication of Narcolepsy.  Narcolepsy occurs in many degrees, some many times people will not even realize they have it.  Have you ever had a sleep study done?

(*registered sleep tech*)

LOL what the heck autocorrect??? REFISTED???

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.