Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lilly

Scandal at the Red Cross

5 posts in this topic

WHERE DID THE HALF BILLION RAISED FOR HAITI GO? RED CROSS WON'T SAY, ONLY BUILT SIX HOUSES

HOW THE RED CROSS RAISED HALF A BILLION DOLLARS FOR HAITI ­AND BUILT SIX HOMES; EVEN AS THE GROUP HAS PUBLICLY CELEBRATED ITS WORK, INSIDER ACCOUNTS DETAIL A STRING OF FAILURES

THE NEIGHBORHOOD OF CAMPECHE sprawls up a steep hillside in Haiti’s capital city, Port-au-Prince. Goats rustle in trash that goes forever uncollected. Children kick a deflated volleyball in a dusty lot below a wall with a hand-painted logo of the American Red Cross.

In late 2011, the Red Cross launched a multimillion-dollar project to transform the desperately poor area, which was hit hard by the earthquake that struck Haiti the year before. The main focus of the project — called LAMIKA, an acronym in Creole for “A Better Life in My Neighborhood” — was building hundreds of permanent homes.

Today, not one home has been built in Campeche. Many residents live in shacks made of rusty sheet metal, without access to drinkable water, electricity or basic sanitation. When it rains, their homes flood and residents bail out mud and water.

[snip]

The Red Cross won’t disclose details of how it has spent the hundreds of millions of dollars donated for Haiti. But our reporting shows that less money reached those in need than the Red Cross has said.

Lacking the expertise to mount its own projects, the Red Cross ended up giving much of the money to other groups to do the work. Those groups took out a piece of every dollar to cover overhead and management. Even on the projects done by others, the Red Cross had its own significant expenses – in one case, adding up to a third of the project’s budget.

http://www.blacklistednews.com/Where_did_the_half_billion_raised_for_Haiti_go%3F_Red_Cross_won't_say%2C_only_built_six_houses/44334/0/38/38/Y/M.html

Look, condos, lear jets, and limos are expensive.  If you want the very best employees, you must give them the very best compensation.  Red Cross has some of the very best employees in the market (as one would expect considering their reputation).  In order to keep up their reputation they need PR.  PR isn't cheap either.  They're also a non-profit organization - next I guess you'll want them to pay taxes on the contributions they receive!  And you want them to tell you what they spend their money on - how nosey can you get?  Efficient?  You expect them to be efficient too?  But they're full of volunteers - they're amateurs!  Woops, forget about the part I said about employees!

Edited by Barbarossa
typo

Look, condos, lear jets, and limos are expensive.  If you want the very best employees, you must give them the very best compensation.  Red Cross has some of the very best employees in the market (as one would expect considering their reputation).  In order to keep up their reputation they need PR.  PR isn't cheap either.  They're also a non-profit organization - next I guess you'll want them to pay taxes on the contributions they receive!  And you want them to tell you what they spend their money on - how nosey can you get?  Efficient?  You expect them to be efficient too?  But they're full of volunteers - their amateurs!  Woops, forget about the part I said about employees!

​Look at you hitting that nail on the head!

I wonder where my contribution went.  I trusted the Red Cross. Not any more. They can handle immediate needs -- water, food, shelter. Haiti is notorious for corruption.

Herd same at wounded warriors and their executives and PR dept costs. Seems there alot of these. I would only give to the locals who do the  actual footwork.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.