Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

We Didn’t Learn Anything From Deepwater Horizon—And We’re Going to Pay For It

6 posts in this topic

http://rinf.com/alt-news/latest-news/we-didnt-learn-anything-from-deepwater-horizon-and-were-going-to-pay-for-it/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RinfAlternativeNewsMediaDailyBreakingNews+(RINF+Alternative+News+Media%3A+Daily+Breaking+News)

Today is the fifth anniversary of the Deepwater Horizon oil rig explosion in the Gulf of Mexico, an event that triggered the nation’s worst-ever oil spill. The well leaked for three months and dumped over 200 million gallons of oil into the sea. The explosion itself killed eleven men; the resulting pollution killed a stupefying amount of wildlife, including 800,000 some birds.

And despite billions paid out by BP in fines and restoration costs, the economic impact of the disaster remains wide-reaching andongoing.

But possibly even more outrageous than the spill itself is how little has been done by government to prevent a similar disaster. The oil and gas industry has stayed active in Washington, and managed to fend off serious efforts to curb drilling: Congress has passed zero new laws—not one—to restrict offshore drilling or force it to be safer. The Obama administration has approved over 1,500 offshore drilling permits since the spill.

And back in January the administrationannounced a plan to open newareas in the Atlantic and Arctic for offshore drilling. As my colleague Tim Murphy noted today, Louisiana’s oversight of the oil industry is rife with ludicrous conflicts of interest that raise serious doubts about the state’s ability to make drilling safer.

Read more

It almost seems like TPTB are intentionally trying to destroy the oceans.

They're certainly not doing anything to stop it...

Well, except restricting commercial fishing of course.

U.S. tightens fishing policy, setting 2012 catch limits for all managed species

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/us-tightens-fishing-policy-setting-2012-catch-limits-for-all-managed-species/2011/12/30/gIQALLObjP_story.html

These Disasters are still ongoing,  many of them,  Fukushima as well.  I did a thread back in my days as a junkie about why tptb are seemingly destroying the planet on purpose. 

I like your posting style Lucy,  You comment and then add extra links and info to a thread. Reminds me of the old days on these forums.  Keep your style,  Roll Hard!! 

These Disasters are still ongoing,  many of them,  Fukushima as well.  I did a thread back in my days as a junkie about why tptb are seemingly destroying the planet on purpose. 

I like your posting style Lucy,  You comment and then add extra links and info to a thread. Reminds me of the old days on these forums.  Keep your style,  Roll Hard!! 

I remember that thread (that's why I mentioned that) but I don't think I had a chance to comment.

Maybe you could put it here at some point?

Thanks, I wish I had found these forums earlier but better late than never right?

I remember that thread (that's why I mentioned that) but I don't think I had a chance to comment.

Maybe you could put it here at some point?

Thanks, I wish I had found these forums earlier but better late than never right?

Yep!! :D

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.