Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cinnamon

Senate fails to save expiring PATRIOT Act

11 posts in this topic

Key parts of the PATRIOT Act will expire at midnight after a bitterly divided Senate failed to reach agreement during a rare Sunday session to extend the anti-terror law.

The Senate did vote overwhelmingly to advance the USA Freedom Act, a House-passed surveillance reform bill that GOP leaders opposed but were forced to accept given the lack of time and other alternatives. But Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) refused to allow that measure to be adopted in time to replace the expiring PATRIOT Act provisions.

The USA Freedom Act easily cleared a filibuster in a 77-17 vote that appeared to set the stage for eventual passage.But it was not the outcome envisioned by McConnell: He had hoped to pass a temporary extension of current law to avoid a midnight shutdown of three PATRIOT Act programs, including the controversial “bulk data” phone record collection program.

But Paul wouldn’t relent, so those initiatives will temporarily lapse.

A visibly angry McConnell (R-Ky.) made a last-gasp attempt to keep them on life support. He moved to extend for two weeks less controversial wire-tapping and “lone wolf” terrorist provisions, only to be rebuffed by his Kentucky colleague. Responding on the Senate floor, McConnell ripped what he called “demagoguery” surrounding the PATRIOT Act’s debate.

Though McConnell pressed Republicans to oppose the House’s bill, he said the alternative of letting the PATRIOT Act provisions expire “would mean disarming completely and arbitrarily, based on a campaign of disinformation.”

“It’s a totally unacceptable outcome. We won’t be doing that,” McConnell said, staring at Paul at times during the stern speech, which was interrupted by Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts’ “Frozen” phone ringtone. “We’re left with Option 2, the House-passed bill. It’s not ideal but, along with votes on some modest amendments that attempt to ensure the program can actually work as promised, it’s now the only realistic way forward.”

After the vote, Paul took to the floor to criticize the House’s bill, which would extend the PATRIOT Act but make major changes to bulk data programs exposed by Edward Snowden. Paul acknowledged that the bill will eventually pass over his opposition even as he asserted that “the PATRIOT Act will expire tonight.”

“It concerns me that the president (who) supports bulk data collection and has been performing it illegally for six years is supporting this bill,” Paul said. “It’s hard for me to have trust in the people we are giving great power to.”

McConnell laid out out his strategy at a closed-door Republican meeting on Sunday afternoon. He indicated he would try to fix what he believes are problems with the House bill, which would make telecom companies responsible for bulk data collection.

<snip>

It certainlly doesn't matter either way what the outcome was, but what has
happened is probably the worse of the two!

They won't stop doing it anyway, it'll just drive them more underground.

1 person likes this

Supposedly stops bulk collection. I don't know what all is in it. Need to read it.

Nothing really changes.  They are still going to pass it (The Patriot Act) and (The Freedom Act) next week.

Supposedly stops bulk collection. I don't know what all is in it. Need to read it.

​I don't believe they're going to stop tracking and storing our private info.
I hope it isn't another "We need to pass it to see what's in it" bill...
And making telecom companies responsible for collecting citizen data?
That can't be legal. None of it is imo but that is absolutely ridiculous. 

We need to repeal all of the patriot act and everything it did. Defund dhs and send it straight to the shitcan where it belongs . We dont need any of this garbage What a joke that we need to be protected from imaginary terrorists by phony toy soldiers.  Yeah all the wasted money and time and not one threat was stopped unless you consider yhe ones they planned and carried out. They are right about one thing that Real Americans who value Freedom And Liberty are not on the side of this vile and disgusting perversion of leadership.  Personally I would be ashamed to be associated with such pathetic and useless organization who has to invent enemies to justify a job. I cant even imagine going to work knowing its one big fraud and producing nothing that anybody really believes in. or wants. Really  in all honesty does anybody have any faith or respect for what this nations leaders even stand for ,I dont

change the name if this topic now!!!!

it must read... Senate succeeds at not passing patriot act aka peeping Tom act

:betteryet:

now you see....

always keep positive my friends

if I guess it's possible, you yes you, agree with owe bomb uh. well then fail is the word. but it seems most posters here hate ballack me bomba.... So let's REP that abd say succeed

Edited by jayke911
explained why positive if u really hate obomb

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.