Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fourth echelon

5 Supposedly Healthy Snacks With More Calories Than a Big Mac

9 posts in this topic

A Granola bar between breakfast and lunch; a handful of flaxseed chips while driving home; a bag of trail mix aftter dinner while you’re watching TV. People are snacking more than ever—a 2013 survey found that 48 percent of Americans skip at least three traditional meals per week in favor of grabbable munchies—and even if those snacks seem healthy, the calories can add up quickly and without warning. So why should you care? It seems like news comes out every day announcing the latest American food company to remove artificial colors, preservatives, or genetically modified ingredients from its products. But despite consumers clamoring for more “healthy” food, obesity rates are as high as ever, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. One of the contributing factors may be all those hidden calories hiding out in those supposedly healthy products. Although calories are not the only measure of a food’s worth—no one is advocating you eating 530 calories of Big Mac rather than 530 calories of brown rice—excessive consumption of them remains one of the strongest causal links to obesity. A study published in The Journal of the American Medical Association in January 2012 concluded that “calories alone account for the increase in fat.”

http://www.takepart.com/article/2015/05/23/foods-calorically-equivalent-big-mac

we love snacking on granola and nutrition bars..this wont deter us from continuing to eat them

thx for that lucy. always wanted to create own granola bars at home.

​No prob. :)
It's fun for kids too. Healthy eating habits created in childhood will last a life time.

​No prob. :)It's fun for kids too. Healthy eating habits created in childhood will last a life time.

​yep, i agree. gotta try inspire my daughter to get back loving granola. i love eating granola cereal spiked with flaxseed, quinoa, hemp and chia seeds.

On 5/31/2015, 3:48:15, Storm64 said:

yep, i agree. gotta try inspire my daughter to get back loving granola. i love eating granola cereal spiked with flaxseed, quinoa, hemp and chia seeds.

My son will eat just about anything, dead or alive. lol
But he wont touch sugary processed foods like boxed cereal. 
Breakfast is usually a piece of fruit, oatmeal with honey or an egg-in-a-hole.

9k=9k=

http://pinchmysalt.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/img_0729-version-2-1.jpg

Edited by Cinnamon
image removed/link added

this is what i eat everyday with sugar free maple syrup and a bagel. yum

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81tSXMwe9dL._SY355_.jpg

also, ground flaxseed..this you can add to liquid based foods like soup to thicken them up. dont use potato starch or corn starch

also chia seeds. chi-chi chia

Edited by Cinnamon
image removed/link added

I've eaten that brand of hummus when I'm lazy - need to go back to making it.  And the smoothie  - I would imagine that up there.  When I make mine I watch what does and does not go into it.  

dont like hummus myself, though the wifey likes it alot. i rather drink a healthy smootie infused with vegs, fruits, hemp seeds, chia and flax.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.