Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
five4ty7am

Stop Calling the TPP a Trade Agreement – It Isn’t

14 posts in this topic

This is a message to activists trying to fight the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). Stop calling the TPP a “trade” agreement. TPP is a corporate/investor rights agreement, not a “trade” agreement. “Trade” is a good thing; TPP is not. Every time you use the word “trade” in association with the TPP, you are helping the other side.

“Trade” is a propaganda word. It short-circuits thinking. People hear “trade” and the brain stops working. People think, “Of course, trade is good.” And that ends the discussion.

Calling TPP a “trade” agreement lets the pro-TPP people argue that TPP is about trade instead of what it is really about. It diverts attention from the real problem. It enables advocates to say things like, “95 percent of the world lives outside the U.S.” as if that has anything to do with TPP. It lets them say, “We know that exports support American jobs” to sell a corporate rights agreement. It enables them to say nonsense like this about a corporate rights agreement designed to send American jobs to Vietnam so a few “investors” can pocket the wage difference: “Exports of U.S. goods and services supported an estimated 9.8 million American jobs, including 25 percent of all manufacturing jobs … and those export-supported jobs pay 13 to 18 percent higher than the national average wage.”

Trade is good. Opening up the border so you can get bananas and they can get fertilizer is trade because they have a climate that lets them grow bananas and you already have a fertilizer plant. Enabling companies to move $30/hour jobs to countries with $.60/hour wages so a few billionaires can pocket the difference is not trade.

Calling TPP a “trade” agreement lets TPP supporters say people opposed to TPP are “anti-trade.”

TPP Is A Corporate/Investor Rights Agreement

TPP is a corporate/investor rights agreement, and that is the problem.

TPP extends patents, copyrights and other monopolies so investors can collect “rents.”

TPP elevates corporations and corporate profits to and above the level of governments. TPP lets corporations sue governments for laws and regulations that cause them to be less profitable. Enabling tobacco companies to sue governments because anti-smoking campaigns limit profits has nothing to do with trade. Enabling corporations to sue states that try to regulate fracking has nothing to do with trade.

While giving corporations a special channel to sue governments, labor, environmental, consumer and other “stakeholder” organizations do not get a channel for enforcement. This helps enable corporations to break unions, force wages down and pollute without cost. This increases the power of corporations over governments – and us.

http://ourfuture.org/20150526/stop-calling-tpp-a-trade-agreement-it-isnt

3 people like this

Simple answer is 90% of anything the government ever involves themselves
in ever benefits the people, and this is certainly no different!

Edited by Cryptic Mole

We won't know what all they can do with this document until it's put into place and the twisting begins. I'm sure they will think up ways to use it that no one else has thought of yet. I agree, it is not a trade agreement. It's an eraser of sovereignty and basic human rights.

Damn them all!

We won't know what all they can do with this document until it's put into place and the twisting begins. I'm sure they will think up ways to use it that no one else has thought of yet. I agree, it is not a trade agreement. It's an eraser of sovereignty and basic human rights.

Damn them all!

Come on Cinnamon, how could you ever have missed this one?
You're slippin up there lady! lol

1 person likes this

It appears our politicians were bought once again.

Here’s how much corporations paid US senators to fast-track the TPP bill

Fast-tracking the TPP, meaning its passage through Congress without having its contents available for debate or amendments, was only possible after lots of corporate money exchanged hands with senators. The US Senate passed Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) – the fast-tracking bill – by a 65-33 margin on 14 May. Last Thursday, the Senate voted 62-38 to bring the debate on TPA to a close.

Those impressive majorities follow months of behind-the-scenes wheeling and dealing by the world’s most well-heeled multinational corporations with just a handful of holdouts.

Using data from the Federal Election Commission, this chart shows all donations that corporate members of the US Business Coalition for TPP made to US Senate campaigns between January and March 2015, when fast-tracking the TPP was being debated in the Senate:

• Out of the total $1,148,971 given, an average of $17,676.48 was donated to each of the 65 “yea” votes.
  • The average Republican member received $19,673.28 from corporate TPP supporters.
  •  The average Democrat received $9,689.23 from those same donors.

The amounts given rise dramatically when looking at how much each senator running for re-election received.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/may/27/corporations-paid-us-senators-fast-track-tpp

1 person likes this

Would you sell out for such a small amount? Must be promises and other "perks" offered.

Would you sell out for such a small amount? Must be promises and other "perks" offered.

​No, of course not. I'm thinking maybe threats along with "promises and perks".  :1XqXnoz:

​No, of course not. I'm thinking maybe threats along with "promises and perks".  :1XqXnoz:

​Lol Lucy I know you would not. Rhetorical question only. Threats, yes definitely. Dirty laundry everywhere just waiting to be aired.

​Lol Lucy I know you would not. Rhetorical question only. Threats, yes definitely. Dirty laundry everywhere just waiting to be aired.

​Yep, something happened.

"Two days before the fast-track vote, Obama was a few votes shy of having the filibuster-proof majority he needed. Ron Wyden and seven other Senate Democrats announced they were on the fence on 12 May, distinguishing themselves from the Senate’s 54 Republicans and handful of Democrats as the votes to sway.

• In just 24 hours, Wyden and five of those Democratic holdouts – Michael Bennet of Colorado, Dianne Feinstein of California, Claire McCaskill of Missouri, Patty Murray of Washington, and Bill Nelson of Florida – caved and voted for fast-track."

The TPP may be the final nail in coffin I'm afraid. I wonder how they sleep at night knowing what they're doing?

​Yep, something happened.

"Two days before the fast-track vote, Obama was a few votes shy of having the filibuster-proof majority he needed. Ron Wyden and seven other Senate Democrats announced they were on the fence on 12 May, distinguishing themselves from the Senate’s 54 Republicans and handful of Democrats as the votes to sway.

• In just 24 hours, Wyden and five of those Democratic holdouts – Michael Bennet of Colorado, Dianne Feinstein of California, Claire McCaskill of Missouri, Patty Murray of Washington, and Bill Nelson of Florida – caved and voted for fast-track."

The TPP may be the final nail in coffin I'm afraid. I wonder how they sleep at night knowing what they're doing?

​When you don't care about people, its easy to sleep!

​When you don't care about people, its easy to sleep!

​All parents want a bright future for their children. Senators are not so elite that their families wont suffer along with the rest of us in the long run.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.