Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Five Alternatives to the Most Overrated Survival Items

17 posts in this topic

If you’re new to the prepping scene, you should probably know right off the bat that you’re about to waste a lot of money. I’m so sorry to break it to you, but it’s true. We’ve all done it. It’s practically a right of passage by now.

You’ve just become aware of how fragile our society really is, and all the horrifying ways the shit can hit the proverbial fan, and you think you have to rush out and buy a bunch of supplies and gear to survive the inevitable looting spree. There’s something you should know first though. If there is one thing that is practically guaranteed to part an otherwise smart person from their money, it is fear.

So stop, take a deep breath, and realize that in all likelihood the world is not going to end tomorrow. There may not be any serious crises for months or years. I know this (as do many other preppers) because I couldn’t possibly count the number of times I’ve heard someone I would consider reputable, sound the alarm on a possible threat.

I’m glad they do, because it’s good that we have people who are dedicated to looking for these threats, but you should know that most of them never come to fruition. If anything, they are usually signs that our society is in a slow decline towards oblivion, rather than an explosive last hurrah. There’s still danger ahead, but when it’s all said and done, there may never be a single day that will go down in history as the day the world ended.

So now that I’ve assuaged your fears, hopefully you’re gripping your wallet a little tighter than you were before. That state of mind you’re experiencing, the one that isn’t an anxiety riddled mess, is the correct state of mind you should be in for prepping. It’s time to take a critical look at that list of supplies and gear you’re thinking of purchasing, and be prepared to cross a few off, because some of those items are highly overrated

- See more at: http://www.thedailysheeple.com/five-alternatives-to-the-most-overrated-survival-items_042015#sthash.7MMUX5Ju.dpuf

Edited by Cinnamon
image removed

Canned food doesn't make sense in a bug out situation because it takes up a lot of space and is heavy.

The small propane tanks with the stove top attachments work great.

I have a Mr.Heater little buddy that I love too.

http://www.mrheater.com/little-buddy-heater.html

I also agree on the army clothing.

It's not designed for women and the pants don't fit well.

Khaki cargo pants are a good alternative. 

I like underarmour shirts with UV protection because they pack small, dry fast and really do protect you from sun burn.

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/womens-ua-sun-sheer-long-sleeve/pid1253798

My BOB and general tactics have Certainly changed over the years!!  Back in 1999, before Y2K was gonna hit it was mainly Beans and Bullets!!  :D

Knife rope and a cup

that's all u need

the rest is extra weight

think 1850

1 person likes this

Knife rope and a cup

that's all u need

the rest is extra weight

think 1850

Hard-core and Bad Ass!! 

Bring it thoth!! 

Knife rope and a cup

that's all u need

the rest is extra weight

think 1850

​Cup? Meh! Create one from nature. There's some excellent bamboo in the jungle here that would be perfect.

Rope? Meh! Learn to make it. I had a thread on LOP years ago with many videos with detailed instructions showing how. Again, bamboo works, but so do plants  such as stinging nettle and cannabis.

A blade, however, imho, is an absolute must. I have a machete that I can wear around my waist should the need arise.

1 person likes this

mom makes no diff what kind 

just have it ready

The only other thing i might add to that list is a magnifying glass 

im a getting old and its hard to see little things 

lol 

Cool apples to a host of processing Matrial 

diffrent all over the world

mom makes no diff what kind 

just have it ready

The only other thing i might add to that list is a magnifying glass 

im a getting old and its hard to see little things 

lol 

​Yeah, I meant to add that some fire making tool is also a must. Coincidentally, mine is a magnifying glass - rubbish when it rains, but perfect when it doesn't!

​Yeah, I meant to add that some fire making tool is also a must. Coincidentally, mine is a magnifying glass - rubbish when it rains, but perfect when it doesn't!

I still have a flint/steel,  works when wet,  dry,  rain,  shine. :)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.