Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flying Saucer Named Floyd Is Man's Eternal Tormentor

1 post in this topic

Posted (edited)

Flying Saucer Named Floyd Is Man's Eternal Tormentor

by John De Groot, Akron Beacon Journal

Staff Writer, Akron Ohio

In his ruined world of loneliness and twisted nightmares, Dale Spur wonders if the chase will ever end. It began six months ago, with seven steps to hell and a flying saucer named Floyd. In the predawn hours of the gentle April morning, Spaur, a Portage County sheriff's deputy, chased a flying saucer 86 miles. Now the strange craft is chasing him. And he is hiding from it, a bearded stranger peering past the limp curtains of a tiny motel room in Solon, Ohio.

He is no longer a deputy sheriff. His marriage is shattered. He has lost 40 pounds. He lives on one bowl of cereal and a sandwich each day. He walks three miles to an $80 a week painter's job. His motel room costs $60 a week. The court has ordered him to pay his wife $20 a week for the support of his two children. That leaves Dale Spaur exactly nothing. The flying saucer did it.

"If I could change all that I have done in my life," he said, "I would change just one thing. And that would be the night I chased that damn thing. That saucer."

He spit the word out. Saucer. An obscenity. Others might understand. Four other officers took part in the April drama.

Police Chief Gerald Buchert of Mantua saw the craft and photographed it The pictures turned out badly, an odd fuzzy white thing suspended in blackness. Today, Chief Buchert laughs nervously when he speaks of that night.

"I'd rather not talk about it," he says. "It's something that should be forgotten and left along. I saw something, but I don't know what it was."

Special Deputy W.L Neff rode with Spaur during the chase. He won't talk about it. His wife, Jackelyne, explains

"I hope I never see him like he was after the chase. He was real white, almost in a state of shock. It was awful. And people made fun of him afterwards. He never talks about it anymore. Once he told me

'If that thing landed in my backyard, I wouldn't tell a soul.'

He's been through a wringer."

Patrolman Frank Panzanella saw the chase end in Conway, Pa., where he works. He saw the craft. Now he is silent. Friends say he had his telephone removed.

He tells you:

"Sure I quit because of that thing. People laughed at me. And there was pressure. You couldn't put your finger on it, but the pressure was there. The city officials didn't like police officers chasing flying saucers."

As to the other officers, three still wear badges, but do not speak of what they saw. Spaur and Huston have turned in their badges.

Now Spaur hides in Solon, a fugitive from a flying saucer named Floyd. He cannot escape the strange craft. It remains with him, locked in his mind, reappearing in nightly sweating dreams that are a bizarre mixture of reality and fantasy.

Of that night: He is driving car 13. Barney Neff is beside him. They are heading east along U.S. 224 between Randolf and Atwater when they spot a red and white 1959 Ford alongside the road. Barney and Dale stop to check it out. The car is filled with walkie-talkies and other radios. A strange emblem is painted on the side. A triangle with a bolt of lightning inside it. Above the emblem is written "Seven Steps to Hell".

Edited by Ukshep
Edited for 50% rule - added source

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.