Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roamer

Sufi tales

5 posts in this topic

Nasrudin lived in Anatolia, Turkey in the 13th century. The tales deal with concepts that have a certain timelessness.

Nasrudin's wife was called 'Houri', so named after the beautiful maidens who Muslims believe reside with the blessed in Paradise.

When war came to the land, all men were being called to join the army: ']oin up now!' said a recruiting general, 'and follow the King's men into battle. If you are victorious, you can take your pick of the spoils of war... if you die on the battlefield, you will earn a place in eternal Paradise where you can take your pick of the heavenly houris.'

I already have a houri at home,' shouted Nasrudin from the crowd. 'She might not be a heavenly houri but at least I do not have to suffer the horrors of war, and a painful death, just for one little word.'

source: google books

1 person likes this

Those are cute little stories.
I didn't know there was a lighter side of Islam.
Thanks for posting this.

Here are three more tales about Nasrudin. The first two illustrate a light-hearted relationship to religion, while the third one displays a complete disrespect towards authority. The link at the bottom contains many more Nasrudin tales. Enjoy!

Meal or Preaching?

The local religious leader invited Nasrudin over for dinner one night.

Nasrudin, not having eaten much that day, was famished when he got there, and eger to eat as soon as possible.

After two hours, however, the religious leader had yet to offer Nasrudin any food, and instead spoke nonstop about a variety of religious topics.

As Nasrudin grew more annoyed with each passing minute, he finally interrupted the man and said, “May I ask you something?”

“What?” the religious leader answered, eager to hear some religious question that would prompt him to continue talking.

“I was just wondering,” Nasrudin said, “did any of the people in your stories ever eat?”

Nasrudin Gets a Cow

One day, Nasrudin’s wife told him, “Let’s buy a cow so that we can have milk every day.

Nasrudin replied, “We don’t have enough space in our yard for my donkey and a new cow.”

But despite Nasrudin’s objection, his wife persisted until he finally gave in.

So he bought the cow—and just he predicted, it crowded his beloved donkey in the barn. This prompted Nasrudin to start praying one night, saying, “Dear God, please kill the cow, so my wife can’t bother me about it anymore, and so my donkey can live in peace.”

The next day, Nasrudin went into the barn and was dismayed to discover that his donkey was dead! He looked up and said, “God, I don’t mean to offend you or anything, but let me ask you this—after all these years, do you mean to tell me that you still can’t tell the difference between a cow and a donkey?”

Pricing the Conqueror

One day, the town’s new conqueror asked Nasrudin, “If I were a slave, how much would I cost?”

“Five hundred dollars,” Nasrudin responded.

“What!“ the conqueror shouted in great anger. “Just the clothes I’m wearing right now are worth five hundred dollars!“

“Yes,” replied Nasrudin, “I factored the clothes into my price.”

http://www.rodneyohebsion.com/mulla-nasrudin.htm

1 person likes this

I have used some of those as images and posted them on Twitter - funny thing is that it solicits quite a few positive responses.. some are really too the point.

Like this

And this for Barry..

1 person likes this

I like these silly little stories.

Nasrudin walked into a house and exclaimed, "The moon is more useful than the sun."
"Why?" he was asked.
"Because at night we need the light more."

"I can see in the dark."
"That may be so, Mulla. But if it is true, why do you sometimes carry a candle at night?"
"To prevent other people from bumping into me."

One of the neighbors found Nasreddin scattering crumbs all around his house.
"Why are you doing that?" he asked.
"I'm keeping the tigers away," replied Nasreddin.
"But there aren't any tigers around here," said the neighbor.
"That's right," said Nasreddin. "You see how well it works?"

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Nasreddin

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.