Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
titanic1

Basic Steps to Repair BBQ Grill Surface Rust

5 posts in this topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkPOrgjns64

How to Restore Your Old Gas Grill

1. Clean It Out
Every time you use your grill, it accumulates all sorts of soot, ash, and grease. At least once a year, you need to put on some gloves and give it a good cleaning (i.e. include it in your house spring cleaning checklist). If you have a shop vac, use it to hoover out all of the particulates that have settled in the bottom of the grill. Next, remove the burners and use the vacuum to clean them out as well. Finally, use a wire brush to scrape off as much gunk as you can from the interior, and vacuum again.

2. Inspect the Burners
You want to check and see if the burners are still in good working order. First, light them – the burners should light quickly and burn evenly. If they don’t, you should probably replace them. Replacement burners can be purchased at a hardware store or from the manufacturer. If the burners appear serviceable, remove them and give them a good scraping and cleaning.

3. Ensure Adequate Heat Distribution
On a gas grill, you should always have something between the flames and the food to distribute heat. Your grill should have a lower rack between the burners and the upper rack in order to hold ceramic briquettes and lava rocks. Lava rocks look cool, but briquettes have the advantage of being easy to clean. To clean a ceramic briquette, soak it with vinegar and then scrub with a wire brush. If you are unable to clean them, replace them.

4. Upgrade Your Cooking Surface
Many low-end grills come with stamped steel grates that are covered with porcelain. They are not great when new, and get even worse as you use them and clean them with a wire brush. It’s easy to upgrade your grill by purchasing a new grate. Stainless steel is the best, followed by porcelain coated steel bars. Some people prefer the fantastic grill marks created by iron grates, but remember that you will need to clean them by hand and re-oil them after each use.

5. Re-Paint the Body
Most inexpensive grills are made of cast aluminum that is painted black. The paint will fade over time, but that is no reason to throw away the grill. You can easily re-paint your grill with special, high temperature black spray paint. Never use any paint that was not clearly indicated for use on an outdoor grill. When painting, focus on the exterior of the grill, as the interior will be blackened with soot and will never be clean enough to hold a new coating of paint.

6. Add a Drip Guard
One of the problems I had with my old grill was that the drippings from my meat would puddle up on the lower rack of my grill. I added a drip guard shaped like an inverted V and now drippings roll right off, reducing flare ups. Universal drip guards are sold at most hardware stores.

7. Replace the Igniter
The piezoelectric ignition system common on most grills has a somewhat short lifespan. If you find yourself throwing matches on your gas grill, it is probably time to replace the ignition system. Fortunately, a new ignition assembly is inexpensive and can be purchased at most hardware stores.

8. Switch to Natural Gas
There are few things worse than running out of propane while you are cooking on the grill. If you have a natural gas connection at your house, it may be time to convert your grill to use it. First, find a kit made by the manufacturer to convert from propane to compressed natural gas (CNG). Many grills will have that option, but not all. Next, hire a plumber to come out and install a gas extension line to your grill. Now you can enjoy your barbecue knowing that you will never run out of fuel.

9. Add a Rotisserie
For less than $50, you can add an electrically-operated barbecue spit to just about any gas grill. Nothing is quite as good at a juicy rotisserie grilled chicken that is slow cooked and self-basted.

http://www.moneycrashers.com/outdoor-gas-grill-cleaning-repair/

If you leave your barbecue outdoors, you may soon need to know how to clean rusty grill grates. Keeping grill grates rust free can be a challenge due to the exposure your grill receives outdoors.

Grill Maintenance
Keeping your barbecue grill grates in good shape requires cleaning immediately after each use. The longer you let the burnt on food stay on the grill grates the harder it will be to clean.

How to Clean Rusty Grill Grates
So you have left your barbecue out in the rain all winter and now you want to know how to clean rusty grill grates? The method you use to clean your grill grates will depend on what material they are made of. Typically barbecue grills grates are made of stainless steal or another type of metal. Most people clean their grill after each use with a stiff wire brush. This can be effective in removing the rust off of most grates, but could harm the finish of a stainless steel grill. Below are several methods of cleaning rust from grill grates. You may want to use the gentlest method first, and work your way down the list until the rust is gone.

Vegetable Oil
Grill grates need to be seasoned like an iron skillet. The more you cook on them the less meat will stick, due to the fat in the meat lubricating the grate. The fat also prevents rust from forming. After each use, coat the grate with vegetable oil to lubricate and season the grate. Do not use an aerosol can of vegetable oil. Aerosol cans explode near flames.

Vinegar and Salt
Learning how to clean rusty grill grates with a non-toxic substance is important since you will be cooking on them. Vinegar and salt are both edible substances, but will also remove rust. Mix two cups vinegar and one-cup salt in a bowl. Place your rusty grates in a large heavy-duty garbage sack. Pour the vinegar and salt into the bag and tie it shut. Lay the bag flat on the ground and let the grill soak overnight. After soaking, wipe the rust off with an old rag. The salt should act as a mild abrasive to scrape off the rust.

Commercial Rust Remover
There are plenty of commercial rust removers. These generally work well, but may contain toxic chemicals you may not want near your food. Purchase a commercial rust remover specifically made for cleaning rusty grill grates in the barbecue section of your home repair warehouse store.

Baking Soda
Brush your grill grates with a soft brush to remove as much rust as you can. Put your grate on your barbecue and sprinkle it generously with baking soda. Turn your barbecue on and watch the baking soda begin to bubble and remove the rust. Turn off the grill and let it cool down. Brush the racks again with a soft brush.

http://cleaning.lovetoknow.com/How_to_Clean_Rusty_Grill_Grates

Someone was giving away a barbecue on craigslist so I went and got it.  It looks in pretty good shape but I think I will clean it up.  I thought I would share this cause sometimes people give them away and I think if you need one you could go get it and fix it up.  Barbecues aren't cheap.  The one I got for free tonight is around $400.  It was a Broil King Monarch.

Posted (edited)

:onfire:Gotta watch those Broil King Monarchs.

They are MKultra grills and will ignite when triggered by a single word or phrase.

WITHOUT WARNING ⚠!

Edited by Team Uzi

Do you know this word or phrase Team Uzi, and if I say it will it go like this?

lolololol

No actually the grill that was In the backyard turned out to be inhabited with aliens 👽

If you need to clean any rust off of the outside, fine steel wool will work great.  I've done it on a few of them.  It will take rust off so you can paint it with high temp. paint that will hold up on a grill.  If you do this there will be no rust under the paint to resurface anytime soon.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.