Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
CSB

The problems with beliefs : Wake the F##k Up

15 posts in this topic

The problems with belief

by Jim Walker : http://www.nobeliefs.com/beliefs.htm

People have slaughtered each other in wars, pogroms, genocides, inquisitions, crusades, and political actions for centuries and still kill each other over beliefs in ideologies, politics, philosophies, and religion (and usually a combination of several reasons). These belief-systems, when stated as propositions, may appear mystical or genuine to the naive, but when confronted with a testable bases from reason and experiment, they fail miserably. I maintain that faiths (types of beliefs) create more social problems than they solve and the potential dangers from them could threaten the future of humankind.

Throughout history, humankind has paid reverence to beliefs and mystical thinking. Organized religion has played the most significant role in the support and propagation of beliefs and faith. This has resulted in an acceptance of beliefs in general. Regardless of how one may reject religion, religious support of supernatural events gives credence to other superstitions in general and the support of faith (belief without evidence), mysticism, and miracles. Most scientists, politicians, philosophers, and even atheists support the notion that some forms of belief provide a valuable means to establish "truth" as long as it contains the backing of data and facts. Belief has long become a socially acceptable form of thinking in science as well as religion. Indeed, once a proposition turns to belief, it automatically undermines opposition to itself. Dostoyevsky warned us that those who reject religion "will end by drenching the earth in blood." But this represents a belief in-itself. Our history has shown that the majority of mass killings (regardless of how they got started), get justified by the religious beliefs of the leaders who started them, not from the rejection of religion.

A interesting write that I thought of sharing with you . Your options are welcome ,,  CSB 

1 person likes this

Eat this shit is it truth ?

Yeah, but who starts all these belief systems? Look at all the gods in the Old Testament. And at Mohammed's own account of why he went to Mecca in the first place to preach a new religion. Look at the sacred texts of the Hindus, the myths of the Chinese, Africans, Amerindians. There is a common thread in all these faiths. And I'm not saying it because we don't talk about it here in a "conspiracy" forum.

Yep, an accident of birth . Some people who post here would been jihadis if they had been born in Iraq or Afghanistan. 

I like Jesus and Buddha, whether they were real or not. They were philosophers. Religions make you think the way someone else wants you to think. 

Christianity however is a relationship. The only religion that does do.

Posted (edited)

At what point does your strident belief that belief is the problem, become a belief problem?

If you constantly strive to cure a common cold by repeatedly wiping your nose, you end up with a cold AND a sore nose.

Edited by Jostler
1 person likes this

31 minutes ago, Jostler said:

At what point does your strident belief that belief is the problem, become a belief problem?

If you constantly strive to cure a common cold by repeatedly wiping your nose, you end up with a cold AND a sore nose.

Who are you talking to, CSB or me? Or to  "you" people in general?

Jostler, if you had been born in Baghdad, what religion would you believe in? And I don't get the comparison of a faith system with a runny nose. One is real, and one is based on an idea. 

It's ok grav, I didn't expect you to be able to get it :)   If the shoe fits, wear it.  If not just walk on by.

Posted (edited)

34 minutes ago, Jostler said:

It's ok grav, I didn't expect you to be able to get it :)   If the shoe fits, wear it.  If not just walk on by.

Why, bless your little heart. You are a good Christian. I should never challenge your belief system. Yours is the One Truth Faith. All others are false. And I will go to Hell a'bouncin'! Allahu Akbar and Shalom to you. :2sMZZFw:

P.S., if the sock fits too. Just sayin' ;)

Edited by grav

5 hours ago, Jostler said:

5 hours ago, grav said:

Why, bless your little heart. You are a good Christian. I should never challenge your belief system. Yours is the One Truth Faith. All others are false. And I will go to Hell a'bouncin'! Allahu Akbar and Shalom to you. :2sMZZFw:

P.S., if the sock fits too. Just sayin' ;)

Y'all are going to pick up a foot fungus doing that. Ain't nobody got time fo dat!  :lulz1:

Posted (edited)

:facepalm:Way did I start this thread ?

Edited by CSB

Maybe I should promote Elvira instead of world issues

Dam she is HOT !!

I'm a devout Bible thumper, but I don't wish harm upon people of other religions.  I think that is more of a problem that is based on people themselves.  The exception being that the Koran actually tells Muslims to kill non-Muslims.  That's the only one I'm aware of, anyway.

I don't take offense, though.  I don't believe in organized religion.  I believe in what I believe is the written word of the Creator of us all.

3 years ago it would have been fair to call me an Atheist.  2 years ago, Agnostic.  I was not raised to believe in anything religious or spiritual.  I reached my conclusions based on my studies of the Scriptures, their origins, and the particular part it all seems to play here in this world.

I can't possibly take offense when someone bashes the Scriptures because just 3 or so years ago I would have told you that the Bible is for brainwashed lunatics.  Now I am one of those lunatics.  We all have our own path.  Seek, and you will find.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.