Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cinnamon

Rare Earthquake Strikes Off the Coast of Florida (small but very rare)

14 posts in this topic

A small but rare earthquake struck about 100 miles off Daytona Beach, Florida, in the Atlantic Ocean, reports the Associated Press.

According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the magnitude 3.7 earthquake struck around 4 p.m. Saturday. There are no reports of damage or that it was felt on land.

<snip>

https://weather.com/news/news/rare-37-magnitude-earthquake-florida-coast

Umm... Wow I never knew we got earthquakes! Although 100 mi is the Bahamas 

M3.7 - 168km ENE of Daytona Beach Shores, Florida

2016-07-16 20:00:10 UTC 29.767°N   79.380°W 5.0 km depth

That was no earthquake 100 miles offshore in the middle of the ocean at a depth of 5 km. I suspect is was some sort of bomb. Lets hope it was our military conducting a test rather than say....Russia playing war games.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, CGK said:

M3.7 - 168km ENE of Daytona Beach Shores, Florida

2016-07-16 20:00:10 UTC 29.767°N   79.380°W 5.0 km depth

That was no earthquake 100 miles offshore in the middle of the ocean at a depth of 5 km. I suspect is was some sort of bomb. Lets hope it was our military conducting a test rather than say....Russia playing war games.

I certainly have to agree. Being in Central Fla, I was never aware of a fault line in that location. Sumsin fishy in d atlantic!

100 miles off shore puts it smack in the middle of the Blake Plateau, an unlikely place for a Quake! The USGS shows no fault line any where near it.

http://alsiraatfivesix.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/world-map-plus-tectonic-640px.jpg

Posted (edited)

On 7/18/2016 at 7:25 AM, Millevolt said:

I certainly have to agree. Being in Central Fla, I was never aware of a fault line in that location. Sumsin fishy in d atlantic!

100 miles off shore puts it smack in the middle of the Blake Plateau, an unlikely place for a Quake! The USGS shows no fault line any where near it.

http://alsiraatfivesix.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/world-map-plus-tectonic-640px.jpg

well, here it is... we were right... No Earthquake. NAVY test...

http://www.wtsp.com/news/earthquake-off-fla-coast-actually-experimental-explosion-by-us-navy/276399473

A reported 3.7-magnitutde earthquake was actually an 'experimental explosion' caused by the U.S. Navy, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The explosion was reported just over 100 miles from Daytona Beach off the Florida coast at 4 p.m. Saturday. The Geological Survey reports that 68 people felt the force of the blast.

First Coast News has reached out to Naval Station Mayport but was referred to SURFLANT, the organization that oversees all surface ships off the coasts of the eastern United States. 

SURFLANT has not gotten back to us regarding what kind of explosion the Navy employed and what it was for.

The Daytona Beach News-Journal reported a permit from the Fisheries Service for explosions conducted by the Navy was granted from 2013 to 2018 - that shock trials east of Jacksonville could include a 10,000-pound and a 40,000-pound charge.

Edited by Millevolt
Change I to We were right. CGK deserves just as much credit!
2 people like this

Oh it's probably just Rosie O'Donnell bumping with the Manatees.

:bump5:

We called that one! I especially love the part about no animals were harmed in our test! Right..Im sure you have people floating around in small boats looking for fried fish, deaf dolphins, and stunned sharks.

<snip>

On Saturday, the Geological Survey again reported a 3.7 magnitude “earthquake” around 4 p.m. about 168 nautical miles east-northeast of Daytona Beach Shores.

The Navy had notified the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s National Marine Fisheries Service that another shock trial was going to be conducted between July 16 and July 20, depending on the weather.

Asked about the reported earthquake on Monday, Dale Eng, a public information officer for the Navy’s Sea Systems Command in Washington, said the Navy is working on a statement it expects to release this week.

Seismographs as far away as Minnesota, Texas and Oklahoma, as well as along the coast of Florida, Georgia and North Carolina, registered the event on Saturday, said Bruce Presgrave, a geophysicist and shift supervisor at the Geological Survey's National Earthquake Information Center in California.

<snip>

The Fisheries Service reported that a team of observers found no mortalities, injuries to or strandings of marine mammals or sea turtles in 2008 during similar testing on the USS Mesa Verde.

More: http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20160718/earthquake-reported-off-florida-waters-was-really-navy-test

11 hours ago, Team Uzi said:

Oh it's probably just Rosie O'Donnell bumping with the Manatees.

:bump5:

According to the NAVY, she bumped a Littoral combat vessel...

"That was the same day the Navy reported conducting a shock trial on the USS Jackson, headquartered at Mayport for testing. Shock trials test a ship’s ability to withstand the effects of underwater explosions and remain seaworthy."

6 minutes ago, CGK said:

The Fisheries Service reported that a team of observers found no mortalities, injuries to or strandings of marine mammals or sea turtles in 2008 during similar testing on the USS Mesa Verde.

I'm sure they put the "observers" in the Gulf of Mexico somewhere, or better yet, they were probably on the Pier at Daytona Beach playing video games!lol

3 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

@Millevolt @CGK Well done on catching that one! :bananadancing:

Thanks Shep...as you know I keep an eye on earthquakes and the Florida quake didnt pass the sniff test. Just like the Quake in North Korea a while ago when I posted a thread about I think something just blew up in NK. Within hours of the "quake" the entire world was freaking out over a nuke test in NK.

Millevolt and I both knew that a quake in that area was just wrong.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.