Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Millevolt

Self defense and hand to hand combat tactics. Staying alive while others are dying.

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I mentioned last week starting a thread about self defense and hand to hand combat. I know I am a bit late in doing so, but with things moving as fast as they are, My wife and I have had to divert some time to our own preparations, all while trying to maintain some sense of normalcy for our children. First off, I want to say that I am lucky to have support of a strong, common sense wife and probably the greatest mother on the planet. :wub:

With that said, I have trained in several different martial arts (TKD, JKD, Maui Thai, Krav Maga, Systema) since the age of 14, (I'm 46 now)  I was the sparring partner training, the first place winner of the TKD Long Island Nationals in the early 90s, (I was the punching bag that hit back) and as for fitness routines, My wife and I attend the gym 4-5 days a week, training with weights, machines, and cardio (such as Body Pump and BodyCombat- Les Mills)

The world is changing, Time is short, so I want to get right to the meat and potatos. I will post things as I can, as realistic as possible, and nothing that will take years to learn. The intent is not a martial arts forum, but a self defense thread.I will post videos I have found that get my seal of approval as well.

****DISCLAIMER: THIS THREAD IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSE ONLY. BEFORE TRYING ANYTHING I RECOMMEND, GET PERMISSION FROM YOUR DOCTOR, BEFORE USING ANY OF THESE TECHNIQUES OR WEAPONS CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS **** (HAD TO PUT THAT IN THERE... YOU KNOW)

The next post in this thread is going to cover being prepared in public places. Some of what you read here is going to be simple, common sense to many here, but for argument sake, I am going to post that information anyways, just to keep it fresh in your mind, complacency makes even the best prepared person vulnerable...

Never assume that just because you are carrying a weapon, that you are safe. Events can happen so quickly, that you may have to fend off an attack BEFORE you can actually get to your weapon.

Edited by Millevolt
Addl Info
4 people like this

Posted (edited)

With the RNC coming, BLM protests, and terror threats so prevelent to day, and especially next two weeks,The first thing I will discus in this thread is survival in public places, where you may be in a crowd of people, or inundated by a crowd of people seeking shelter from an "event" or "incident"

Not every situation is escapable, but limiting your exposure, and having situational awareness, and familiarity of your surroundings is critical to increasing your odds of survival in a situation that has rapidly escalated beyond your control. If we all knew ahead of time that something was going to happen, we would never be there in the first place. You can not assume that just because you are carrying a weapon, that you are safe.

Events can unfold quickly, often too quickly to have to gather information and make a decision. You can find yourself in a crowd of people all pushing and shoving , or your tranquil space invaded by those fleeing, so never let your guard down, and don’t think that because the crowd is outside, that you are not vulnerable. Your greatest chance for survival during an “incident” Is being as far removed from the incident as possible. With that said, you should gather as much information about your surroundings as you can as you enter unfamiliar areas, and know first-hand, buildings, and areas you frequent . Leisurely Gather information while you have the opportunity BEFORE chaos unfolds.

The first thing I like to do is increase my situational awareness. In doing so, you throw every friggan thing you have had shoved down your throat about political correctness right out the window.  Scan the people, their faces, and body language as soon as you enter an area. If a geeky guy wearing glasses on his laptop is to your left, and a thug looking bearded man with a towel on his head is to your right, stay to your left. Look at who is looking around, they may be potentially scoping out targets,  notice how they look at people, and their body language. Do they stare up and down at people as they walk by? If so, are they staring at women or men? If women, they may well be looking to conduct a rape, or steal a pocket book. Point these people out to others in your group without making it obvious. If they are looking at men, then they may be looking to start a fight, or worse, pick out who is a threat to a plan they may have. Be very weary of someone making excessive eye contact in a crowd. They are sizing you up for some reason, be it a scam or violence. Pay attention to what they are carrying, and for Gods sakes, look up on balconies, and roof tops. Don’t just look near, look far as well. Someone with a scope can be on a roof top a long ways away.  

Once you have a better sense of the individuals around you, locate all your exit areas, inside and out. Stay on the outside of crowds, near one of these exit areas, facing the common point of entrance. If you are with other tactical minded people, sit or stand facing one another so you can keep tabs on multiple entrances and exits.  Pay close attention to movements within the crowd, and anyone who moves opposite of the crowd. If you see an imminent threat, start moving away from the threat without drawing attention to yourself. Quickly, and nonchalantly move towards your closest exit. Don’t blurt out anything, use the seconds that you have to get you and your family to safety, because once chaos erupts, you want to be the survivors. In an active shooter situation, put as many walls between you and the shooter as possible as quickly as possible. Remember, most framed walls are NOT BULLETPROOF! If the shooter can’t see you, he will not aim for you, but placing as many walls as possible between you and him reduces the chances that a stray bullet will hit you, and also reduces the lethality of the round. Even concrete block walls will not stop most rifle ammunition.  Don’t assume that because you have reached impenetrable spaces, that you are safe. Keep moving away from the threat, keeping that impenetrable object between you and the shooter. Distance is your friend. Be mindful though, that a well-planned attack may include attackers at exits, so if you have a choice in exits, don’t pick the most obvious ones everyone will run to. You can also avoid the ensuing stampede that is bound to follow. . Hopefully everything  you did prior to prepare for this has kept out of a stampede, but, if you ARE in a stampede, go with the flow until you see a break where you can get off to the side.

If you fall to the ground in a stampede, GET UP!!! As quickly as you can, GET BACK TO YOUR FEET! Even if you have to claw, trip, and take a few hits… GET UP! Stay to the outside in a stampede.  You may find that its better off to stay put, and let a crowd blow by you. Say there is a protest, and one group that you blend in with is rushing by you to attack another group. You certainly don’t want to run right into the middle of it. Every situation is different, and you need to assess what the best decision is at the time, and when you are in the safest place, and whether to continue fleeing or stop and conceal yourself.

Remember, you have nothing to prove to the crowd worth dying for, your objective is to NOT be a casualty.

Edited by Millevolt
Addl Info
1 person likes this

If you have to fight through a crowd….

You may find a need to get you and your family out of an angry mob quickly. If the need arises, the larger, stronger person needs to take the lead position. You will assume the defensive boxing position  where you are slightly crouched, knees bent for stability, chin tucked, looking forward, elbows  near the body, hands up protecting the side of your head. Your weaker  family member will put their arms around your waist locking their hands together so they can not be easily pried from your protection. In a twisting motion, the lead person should pivot step toward the edge of the crowd, using shoulders and elbows to force their way through the crowd, allowing strikes to hit arms not head. Use a jab motion to force your arms out between people to establish your path, pressing them out of the way as you step and retract your arms. Remember. Your survival is at stake. You are not worried at this point about hurting people in the crowd. Don’t stop moving.

If you are blocked into the crowd, and literally have to fight, “only” about four people can strike you at a time while you are standing. Protecting your head and staying on your feet is the priority. Many theories are at play here, and you have to make split second decisions as quickly as you can. If you can sympathize with the enemy, lie, telling them you are on their side, your “uncle” was a victim of the “group” the crowd is against. It may buy you sympathy to get your family out of harms way. Remember, this is not the time to make a political statement against the group. This may not be an option though. It may lead right to combat. If so, you have to be fierce and fast, striking hard and many. Don’t hold back, don’t fight fair. The groin, the throat, eyes  are the targets. Move quickly so you can not be cornered by the stronger persons in the group, if you can strike the bigger, more aggressive perps, in those spots, do so quickly, and then move on to the next person., taking out the closest ones first. While moving, position yourself so that weaker perps are between you and the larger ones to create a buffer between you and them. Strike hard and fast, engaging multiple targets.  Jeet  Kune Do (The way of the intercepting fist) is especially effective in these situations as it teaches you to block and strike simultaneously. As quickly as you can get out of the crowd.  If you are a taller person, the general rule taught to shorter fighters confronting you is to get on the inside. This is where Muay Thai or Muay Boran (The art of 8 limbs) comes in handy. Taller persons can learn to use their knees and elbows very effectively against an inside fighter.

As far as I am concerned, the BEST martial arts is MIXED martial arts. Learn how to use parts of different arts that work for you. This was Bruce Lees philosophy behind JKD. All the forms and stances in competition martial arts are only good for an intimidation factor in street fights. Don’t get me wrong, traditional schools can teach you how to punch and kick properly;  however, this can be learned effectively in minimal time with some practice. You will find that the opportune time in a street fight to use a jumping spinning TKD tornado kick is well… Never…

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

This kid does a good job explaining basic JKD punching and kicking, showing fast striking methods where your strike comes from whatever position your body is in, and how you maximize power in your strike.

Always move at a 45 degree angle towards and away from your opponent. It takes you body off the center line of a strike, and prepositions you for a counter strike.

Edited by Millevolt
Addl Info

Posted (edited)

All you need to know is an open palm or back hand to the nerve cluster behind the ear on the neck at the base of the skull is all that needs to be struck to take someone down. Hit hard enough they die, light enough they are out cold. to light, and they are still stunned.

Edited by thedudeabides
1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, thedudeabides said:

All you need to know is an open palm or back hand to the nerve cluster behind the ear on the neck at the base of the skull is all that needs to be struck to take someone down. Hit hard enough they die, light enough they are out cold. to light, and they are still stunned.

Thats the principle behind a 45 degree knifehand attack where you catch just behind the jaw just under the ear. with a rigid hand and tucked thumb. Very effective strike, but not the easiest place to hit an experienced fighter. Works real well after someone misses with a haymaker.

3 people like this

I train in old school WWII combatives.  The stuff the troops had to learn in a very short time to be able to defend them selves. Very easy very brutal. Also I train Judo and a little Krav Maga. Check out SDTS and Damian Ross on YouTube to get a few ideas of what it is. It's saved my life a cpl times in the past 6 years. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Millevolt said:

Thats the principle behind a 45 degree knifehand attack where you catch just behind the jaw just under the ear. with a rigid hand and tucked thumb. Very effective strike, but not the easiest place to hit an experienced fighter. Works real well after someone misses with a haymaker.

One of my fav. I never punch with a closed fist. Either an edge of hand attack or open palm strike. Edge of hand to the throat is def a man stopper. Everyone likes to make fun of the "Austin Powers judo chop" lol, but it's highly effective and can be thrown from just about any position to anywhere on the body, unlike a punch where you most likely telegraph it and can only aim for a few effective spots. 

Edited by Groove

at .9 -.12 he demonstrates the edge of hand. 

3 hours ago, Groove said:

I train in old school WWII combatives.  The stuff the troops had to learn in a very short time to be able to defend them selves. Very easy very brutal. Also I train Judo and a little Krav Maga. Check out SDTS and Damian Ross on YouTube to get a few ideas of what it is. It's saved my life a cpl times in the past 6 years. 

Yeah, I am going to also post a series from the US Marines martial arts program (MCMAP) Its effective, and doesn't take long to learn. Thats if the world doesn't end first...

1 hour ago, Millevolt said:

Yeah, I am going to also post a series from the US Marines martial arts program (MCMAP) Its effective, and doesn't take long to learn. Thats if the world doesn't end first...

Cool cool. The style I'm talking about can be found in the book "Get Tough" but the SDTS is kinda a perfected version that includes a mix of styles but only the most effective and easiest to learn moves. It's focuses on attacking the attacker and not any weapons he may have. Some of the marine stuff came from Get Tough also. In the SDTS Damian explains how him and the late Carl Cestari created it studying all types of styles but things all kept going back to the WWII combat training as far as the ease of learning and being able to quickly learn the entire system and it's based on all gross motor skills. I love it. But I also do cross train in Krav Maga, I look at it as a very intense workout but deadly if used right. In the past I trained Muay Thai for about 5 years and BJJ for about 2 years(blue belt) 

i love this stuff lol 

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, Groove said:

Cool cool. The style I'm talking about can be found in the book "Get Tough" but the SDTS is kinda a perfected version that includes a mix of styles but only the most effective and easiest to learn moves. It's focuses on attacking the attacker and not any weapons he may have. Some of the marine stuff came from Get Tough also. In the SDTS Damian explains how him and the late Carl Cestari created it studying all types of styles but things all kept going back to the WWII combat training as far as the ease of learning and being able to quickly learn the entire system and it's based on all gross motor skills. I love it. But I also do cross train in Krav Maga, I look at it as a very intense workout but deadly if used right. In the past I trained Muay Thai for about 5 years and BJJ for about 2 years(blue belt) 

i love this stuff lol 

I'll definitely look Get Tough up. Sounds interesting. With your experience, feel free to add to the thread at will. I don't claim to be a know it all, but I feel obligated to pass on knowledge to like minded people who may not be prepared in this area. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.