Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Malevolent

Half of all US food produce is thrown away, new research suggests

8 posts in this topic

The question is WHY?

Is this a Monsanto operative?  Are farmers being compensated more for "losses" than the worth of the produce?  Why when there are so  many hungry people do you (government) allow this to happen? 

“It’s all about blemish-free produce,” says Jay Johnson  - Nope, that is absolute..:poopywb4:

SOURCE

Americans throw away almost as much food as they eat because of a “cult of perfection”, deepening hunger and poverty, and inflicting a heavy toll on the environment.

Vast quantities of fresh produce grown in the US are left in the field to rot, fed to livestock or hauled directly from the field to landfill, because of unrealistic and unyielding cosmetic standards, according to official data and interviews with dozens of farmers, packers, truckers, researchers, campaigners and government officials.

From the fields and orchards of California to the population centres of the east coast, farmers and others on the food distribution chain say high-value and nutritious food is being sacrificed to retailers’ demand for unattainable perfection.

“It’s all about blemish-free produce,” says Jay Johnson, who ships fresh fruit and vegetables from North Carolina and central Florida. “What happens in our business today is that it is either perfect, or it gets rejected. It is perfect to them, or they turn it down. And then you are stuck.”

Food waste is often described as a “farm-to-fork” problem. Produce is lost in fields, warehouses, packaging, distribution, supermarkets, restaurants and fridges.

By one government tally, about 60m tonnes of produce worth about $160bn (£119bn), is wasted by retailers and consumers every year - one third of all foodstuffs.<Snip>

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Malevolent said:

The question is WHY?

Is this a Monsanto operative?  Are farmers being compensated more for "losses" than the worth of the produce?  Why when there are so  many hungry people do you (government) allow this to happen? 

“It’s all about blemish-free produce,” says Jay Johnson  - Nope, that is absolute..:poopywb4:

SOURCE

Wait...Waaaaat .Guess that would explain why food prices keep rising.

speaking of food waste, the small bagal store near me dumps one day old bagals and donuts into the dumpster!..they could of saved it for the local food bank and or shelters. guesstimate is about 25 pounds wasted.

1 minute ago, Fourth echelon said:

speaking of food waste, the small bagal store near me dumps one day old bagals and donuts into the dumpster!..they could of saved it for the local food bank and or shelters. guesstimate is about 25 pounds wasted.

I believe that if they "donate" the stale food and some fool gets sick (food poisoning) and sues them then they are in that deep brown stuff that aint mud. So in order to prevent a legal battle from an opportunistic recipient and his lawyer they rather dump the stuff.  Sometimes legislation is an enemy.

I would think that if they were to be offered total immunity then it would probably not be such an issue.

i actually tasted one of the bagals and it was fine. still delish. even the danishes were still edible. i got caught rummaging in the bins and was asked to leave. waste not, want not.

2 people like this

They are saying that they are not even allowed to throw stuff away where people can get to it because people might go dumpster diving and get sick from it. They've also tried to make it illegal to feed homeless people in some areas in California. They can f*** right off, if I see someone hungry, I'm going to get them some food if there is any way I can do it.  Bad laws are made to be broken and that's the kind of thing worth going to jail for. 

3 people like this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.