Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
CSB

The Dangerous Ideology of Religion

12 posts in this topic

The Dangerous Ideology of Religion

Ideology, in the hands of true-believers, tends to reject facts in favor of some grander “truth,” an especially dangerous tendency when mixed with religious conviction and certainty, as Lawrence Davidson explains.

By Lawrence Davidson

Ideologies are pre-set forms of thinking that shape people’s worldviews and, supposedly, help to order and simplify reality. While this supposition is always flawed to one extent or another, ideologies can be very seductive. In part this is because they free their adherents from the hard work of critical thinking. Thus, they are often held onto tenaciously.

Because ideologies distort reality, they are particularly unsuited for those aspiring to power as well as their devoted supporters. History is full of examples of politically powerful ideologies that underscore this fact: fascism, communism, various military cults (particularly popular in South America and the Middle East) and even the ideology of democracy as manipulated by corrupt elites, who play the Pied Piper to the masses.

An image of a Crusader killing a Muslim.

Yet there is still one more ideology out there which, even now, wreaks havoc by either claiming for itself the trappings of secular power or attaching itself in some influential advisory way to the institutions of power. That ideology is religion in its various institutional manifestations.

Read the whole post here : https://consortiumnews.com/2016/01/30/the-dangerous-ideology-of-religion/

ah "religion" quite a topic that. Religion is best defined as "the organized attempt to do good" , therefore any person, who hates "religion", hates any organised attempt to do good, and prefers the doctrine of chaos, it is true however, that evil men, have hijacked "religion" and used it as a front for evil, more easily said thusly:

"all of Mankind's organised attempts to do good, have been subverted by those who love themselves and their comfort, more than anything"

Technically, every single person should have their own unique religion, the ONLY thing that should be the same for us all, is the adherence to the 10 Commandments., or,

"You can have ANY religion you want, as long as you keep the 10 Commandments"

or, summed up even better by our Master:

"

Mar 12:28  And one of the scribes coming near, hearing them reasoning together, knowing that He had answered them well, asked Him, “Which is the first command of all?”
Mar 12:29  And יהושע answered him, “The first of all the commands is, ‘Hear, O Yisra’ĕl, יהוה our Elohim, יהוה is one.
Mar 12:30  ‘And you shall love יהוה your Elohim with all your heart, and with all your being, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first command.
Mar 12:31  “And the second, like it, is this, ‘You shall love your neighbour as yourself.’ There is no other command greater than these.”

For, if you adhere to the First Great Command, you keep the first Four of the Commandments, with extra attention on the Sabbath Commandment, upon which much war has been waged. Then, if one adheres to the Second Great Commandment, and love thy neighbour as thyself, then you wont murder him, nor steal from him, nor covet his car nor skank wife, That, is the summary of "religion"  so, i would translate this heading:   "the-dangerous-ideology-of-religion"  and say "the dangerous ideology of attempting to make an organised attempt, to do good"   , and i would go "hmmm"  so, against any organised attempt to do good are we? what do you suggest in its place?

1 person likes this

23 minutes ago, Austin said:

ah "religion" quite a topic that. Religion is best defined as "the organized attempt to do good" , therefore any person, who hates "religion", hates any organised attempt to do good, and prefers the doctrine of chaos, it is true however, that evil men, have hijacked "religion" and used it as a front for evil, more easily said thusly:

"all of Mankind's organised attempts to do good, have been subverted by those who love themselves and their comfort, more than anything"

Technically, every single person should have their own unique religion, the ONLY thing that should be the same for us all, is the adherence to the 10 Commandments., or,

"

Mar 12:28  And one of the scribes coming near, hearing them reasoning together, knowing that He had answered them well, asked Him, “Which is the first command of all?”
Mar 12:29  And יהושע answered him, “The first of all the commands is, ‘Hear, O Yisra’ĕl, יהוה our Elohim, יהוה is one.
Mar 12:30  ‘And you shall love יהוה your Elohim with all your heart, and with all your being, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first command.
Mar 12:31  “And the second, like it, is this, ‘You shall love your neighbour as yourself.’ There is no other command greater than these.”

For, if you adhere to the First Great Command, you keep the first Four of the Commandments, with extra attention on the Sabbath Commandment, upon which much war has been waged. Then, if one adheres to the Second Great Commandment, and love thy neighbour as thyself, then you wont murder him, nor steal from him, nor covet his car nor skank wife, That, is the summary of "religion"  so, i would translate this heading:   "the-dangerous-ideology-of-religion"  and say "the dangerous ideology of attempting to make an organised attempt, to do good"   , and i would go "hmmm"  so, against any organised attempt to do good are we? what do you suggest in its place?

I think you and I will get along just fine!  Great post, Austin. 

1 hour ago, Austin said:

"

Pretty much this^^^

3 hours ago, Austin said:

Religion is best defined as "the organized attempt to do good", ...

This definition of religion is too simplified; I think it's necessary to identify religion in a way which distinguishes it from humanism:

"Humanism is a philosophical and ethical stance that emphasizes the value and agency of human beings, individually and collectively, and generally prefers critical thinking and evdence (rationalism, empiricism) over acceptance of dogma or superstition."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism

... therefore any person, who hates "religion", hates any organised attempt to do good, and prefers the doctrine of chaos,

This way of reasoning is based on a logical fallacy. Your claim is that everybody with a good heart is necessarily religious, this isn't true.

1 hour ago, roamer said:

This definition of religion is too simplified; I think it's necessary to identify religion in a way which distinguishes it from humanism:

"Humanism is a philosophical and ethical stance that emphasizes the value and agency of human beings, individually and collectively, and generally prefers critical thinking and evdence (rationalism, empiricism) over acceptance of dogma or superstition."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism

This way of reasoning is based on a logical fallacy. Your claim is that everybody with a good heart is necessarily religious, this isn't true.

Hmmm, maybe. But I took it as an attempt to redefine religion:

"Technically, every single person should have their own unique religion, the ONLY thing that should be the same for us all, is the adherence to the 10 Commandments., or,"

Personally,  I  gave up on "religion" a while back.  However,  I  had to form my own unique relationship or "religion" if you  will,  to continue spiritual growth. I  had to redefine it for myself. I'm almost positive it has to work that way. Or maybe I missed the point. 

My remark was aimed at religion as a form of groupthink. If religion is just "the organized attempt to do good", then why is there so much hate between different religions?

Posted (edited)

All religions are mind control. Cults. I am not a Christian. I am a Jesusite. I admire and emulate, as much as possible, the gentle and true philosophy of Jesus the man. He probably lived with the Hindus at one stage of his missing years. While he absorbed the best parts of that religion, he nevertheless scolded the Brahmins for their caste system which treated lower classes as inferior. 

Who was the God Jesus spoke of? You will not like my guess so I will for once keep my big mouth shut. You're welcome.

I have no problem putting down Mohammedism, which arose from the same religion as the Jews. Mohammed was forced to SUBMIT to the angel Gabriel who strangled the Prophet until he agreed to go to Mecca and preach a new cult. The people of Mecca found out the hard way that all religions are not created equal. 

Your religion is an accident of birth. In my case, a Lutheran by the aforementioned accident, I couldn't find any reason to believe in the terrible Jehovah of the OT. 

Critical thinkers should question their own religion and study how the Church created the canon. 

"La vida es duda, y la fe sin la duda es solo muerte. Life is doubt, and faith without doubt is nothing but death."

~ Miguel de Unamuno

I prefer to shorten it to -- La fe sin duda es muerto.  Faith without doubt is dead.

Edited by grav

46 minutes ago, roamer said:

My remark was aimed at religion as a form of groupthink. If religion is just "the organized attempt to do good", then why is there so much hate between different religions?

I  see your point 

4 hours ago, octopus prime said:

Personally,  I  gave up on "religion" a while back.  However,  I  had to form my own unique relationship or "religion" if you  will,  to continue spiritual growth. I  had to redefine it for myself. I'm almost positive it has to work that way. Or maybe I missed the point. 

i think you got the point EXACTLY.

unclean bird said:

"Your claim is that everybody with a good heart is necessarily religious, this isn't true"

i claimed nothing of the sort.

and, you neglect the question at the end, bird of which there are many, which is:

"and i would go "hmmm"  so, against any organised attempt to do good are we? what do you suggest in its place?"

can you answer that? or do you think, chaotic self-love and self -service the answer? cause thats when this place becomes "hell".

for how does one define an "angel" or a "demon" ?  a definition that covers all sentient entity's and beings..  it goes, any entity that loves its Creator, more than anything, and loves its fellow entity's MORE than itself, it is, an "angel"  now, conversely, a "demon" is an entity, that loves itself more than anything, and values its own comfort than any person or thing, ie self above all. Now, where do you fall eagle head? self above all? or others above thyself xD  yeah right

8 hours ago, Austin said:

"Your claim is that everybody with a good heart is necessarily religious, this isn't true"

i claimed nothing of the sort.

You did, here is your statement:

16 hours ago, Austin said:

therefore any person, who hates "religion", hates any organised attempt to do good, and prefers the doctrine of chaos

Organized religion is usually much more concerned with the supremacy of religious doctrines than with doing good; in the Middle Ages there was a 30-year war within Europe, protestants and catholics were fighting against one another in the name of religion. This is one of the reasons why some people hate religion. You cannot paint everything black and white.

9 hours ago, Austin said:

Now, where do you fall eagle head? self above all? or others above thyself xD  yeah right

Mind your own business.

5 hours ago, roamer said:

xD ah excellent,  thank you for your answer, unclean bird, and i note how you note im talking to you, because you are a unclean bird, i, myself, not once mentioned anything about a "heart" for,  Mat 15:19  “For out of the heart come forth wicked reasonings, murders, adulteries, whorings, thefts, false witnessings, slanders.

and

Jer 17:9  “The heart is crooked1 above all, and desperately sick – who shall know it? Footnote: 1See 7:24, 16:12, 18:12, 23:17.

so, anyone who thinks they have a good heart, is a fool, i said:

"therefore any person, who hates "religion", hates any organised attempt to do good, and prefers the doctrine of chaos"

and from that YOU inferred something else,  i mean, seriously, im UBER religious, im level 99 zealot, and my heart is as black as coal, i meant no such thing whatsoever, you lack understanding , unclean bird,  i say unto thee, ALL these so called "organised religions"  are not actually RELIGIONS at all,  but abominable systems which espouse
external worship, and external worship, is worshipping some deity, so that people around you, "think" your a good person. it is an abominable practice. 

AND!!! hahaha, thanks for answering my question!!! 

"

Now, where do you fall eagle head? self above all? or others above thyself xD  yeah right

Mind your own business."

hahaha xD ,  now if you fell into the former description, your answer, would have been much more pleasant, BUT, saying "keep to thine ownself, leave me be" shows you have ONLY your interests at heart, above ALLLLL else, therby answering my question quite conclusively.

o and what "religion" am i?  Russian Sabbath Keeping Orthodox. and we do enjoy studying the sons of belial, they, stupid./

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.