Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
titanic1

Are You The Only Concious Being?

5 posts in this topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6SKpSX9_3c

Solipsism is the position in Metaphysics and Epistemology that the mind is the only thing that can be known to exist and that knowledge of anything outside the mind is unjustified. It is a skeptical hypothesis, and leads to the belief that the whole of reality and the external world and other people are merely representations of the individual self, having no independent existence of their own, and might in fact not even exist. It is not, however, the same as Skepticism (the epistemological position that one should refrain from even making truth claims).

Solipsism is therefore a pure variety of Idealism (more specifically Subjective Idealism or Subjectivism), and is opposed to concepts such as Materialism, Physicalism and Objectivism which hold that the only thing that can be truly proven to exist is matter.

The central assertion of Solipsism rests on the lack of a solid proof of the existence of the external world, and Strong Solipsism (as opposed to Weak Solipsism) asserts that no such proof can be made.

It is often considered a bankrupt philosophy, or at best bizarre and unlikely. Critics have argued that the very idea of communicating philosophical ideas would be entirely pointless to a true solipsist as, according to them, there is no other mind with whom they would communicate their beliefs. It also goes against the commonly observed tendency for sane adult humans in the western world to interpret the world as external and existing independently of themselves.

http://www.philosophybasics.com/branch_solipsism.html

Solipsism is one of the most interesting theories of mind. Why? I’ll tell you how solipsists define solipsism. Get ready, solipsism definition is as follows: one’s own mind is all that can be known to exist. But what does solipsism really mean? Not only solipsists and philosophers in general know the meaning of solipsism – also average people like you and me have probably experienced solipsism as a child (infant solipsism). Solipsism is so convincing that there is even a solipsism syndrome – therefore you could actually suffer from solipsism. If you’re not afraid to start doubting in others’ existence, continue reading…

So let’s sum up the main ideas of solipsism. I’m presenting you with arguments of Gorgias of Leontini who is considered to be the father of solipsism.
Nothing exists
Even if something exists, nothing can be known about it
Even if something can be known about it, knowledge about it can't be communicated to others
Even if it can be communicated, it cannot be understood
Since it’s so difficult to prove these statements wrong most people reject them only because they feel they’re wrong (too learn more about perception of good and evil see the post about innatism); however, they still aren’t able to give any reason for rejecting solipsism. Probably you won’t be surprised that people who live in isolation for an extended period of time often question the reality of external world; sooner or later they will probably suffer from what is called solipsism syndrome (similar to depersonalization disorder); they will start believing that the world is nothing more than their minds’ creation… Isn't it frightening?

https://mindandphilosophy.blogspot.ca/2012/07/solipsism-do-others-exist-in-your-mind.html

Solipsism.

Solipsism is a philosophical theory, which asserts that nothing exists but the individual’s consciousness. At first, it seems silly – and who generally got it into his head completely deny the existence of the world around us? Except when you put your mind to it, it really is impossible to verify anything but your own consciousness.

Don’t you believe me? Think a moment and think of all the possible dreams that you have experienced in your life. Is it not possible that everything around you is nothing but an incredibly intricate dream? But we have people and things around us that we cannot doubt because we can hear, see, smell, taste and feel them, right? Yes, and no. People who take LSD, for example, say that they can touch the most convincing hallucinations, but we do not claim that their visions are “reality”. Your dreams simulate sensations as well, after all, what you perceive is what different sections of your brain tell you to.

As a result, which parts of existence can we not doubt? None. Not the chicken we ate for dinner or the keyboard beneath our fingers. Each of us can only be sure in his own thoughts.

http://www.learning-mind.com/10-mind-blowing-theories-that-will-change-your-perception-of-the-world/

Posted (edited)

Am I The Only Conscious Being?

If that were true, why even bother being conscious at all?

It takes at least two before we can even consider becoming a collective consciousness.

Sometimes, though, I do feel like I'm the only conscious being, but in an entangled state of consciousness with myself.

In a state where I can communicate with myself over vast distances and virtually with no limits.

Instant communications between my outer and inner self.

The false self and the true self.

The exoteric and esoteric self.

The who I'm not and the whom I am.

The I am that I am that's inside of me.

... and, the I am that I am that's outside of me.

I am everywhere within and without.

Look within yourself and you will see me because we have communicated.

We have now become forever connected. cm

Edited by Cryptid Mold
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

OP, Your own quote:

1. ... the only thing that can be truly proven to exist is matter...

2. ...  the lack of a solid proof of the existence of the external world...

What is matter anyway? Besides the hidden states of matter, the 4 known states are as follows: solid, liquid, gas, and plasma. Keeping with the solid state of matter for now. There is no known solid matter anywhere in the entire universe. What we perceive to be solid is actually not solid at all. Perceived solid matter is held together by yet unknown forces, and each type of perceived solid matter has a different force that binds them seemingly together. What are these forces? No one really knows.

When it comes to physics, the word solid is tossed around a lot, and yet it remains to be only a misconception as to what the word solid actually means. Define solid: Characterized by structural rigidity and resistance to changes of shape or volume... But that is really a false statement because all known solid matter can be reshaped by sound waves at different frequencies. Even two different states of solid matter can be passed between one another with the manipulation of the forces that bind them.

I myself have not done this but the experimentation has, but at a great cost to life itself. The secret is the use of both internal and external forces together.

There is both and internal and external world consisting of many yet unknown states of matter and forces all interacting with one another. It works there, so why not here in our own reality? Maybe it is, but you're not noticing it! cm

Edited by Cryptid Mold

6 hours ago, Cryptid Mold said:

OP, Your own quote:

1. ... the only thing that can be truly proven to exist is matter...

2. ...  the lack of a solid proof of the existence of the external world...

What is matter anyway? Besides the hidden states of matter, the 4 known states are as follows: solid, liquid, gas, and plasma. Keeping with the solid state of matter for now. There is no known solid matter anywhere in the entire universe. What we perceive to be solid is actually not solid at all. Perceived solid matter is held together by yet unknown forces, and each type of perceived solid matter has a different force that binds them seemingly together. What are these forces? No one really knows.

When it comes to physics, the word solid is tossed around a lot, and yet it remains to be only a misconception as to what the word solid actually means. Define solid: Characterized by structural rigidity and resistance to changes of shape or volume... But that is really a false statement because all known solid matter can be reshaped by sound waves at different frequencies. Even two different states of solid matter can be passed between one another with the manipulation of the forces that bind them.

I myself have not done this but the experimentation has, but at a great cost to life itself. The secret is the use of both internal and external forces together.

There is both and internal and external world consisting of many yet unknown states of matter and forces all interacting with one another. It works there, so why not here in our own reality? Maybe it is, but you're not noticing it! cm

Is the Mole in the box or not?

LOL 😁

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.