Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rbear

ISRAEL, FACEBOOK AT ODDS OVER REMOVAL OF 'EXTREMIST' POSTS

9 posts in this topic

Facebook is doing its share to remove abusive content from the social network, it said on Sunday in an apparent rejection of Israeli allegations that it was uncooperative in stemming messages that might spur Palestinian violence.

Beset by a 10-month-old surge in Palestinian street attacks, Israel says that Facebook has been used to perpetuate such bloodshed and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's rightist government is drafting legislation to enable it to order social media sites to remove postings deemed threatening.

Ramping up the pressure, Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan on Saturday accused Facebook of "sabotaging" Israeli police efforts by not cooperating with inquiries about potential suspects in the occupied West Bank and by "set(ting) a very high bar for removing inciteful content and posts".

Facebook did not respond directly to Erdan's criticism, but said in a statement that it conferred closely with Israel.

cut

Citing sources familiar with the technology, Reuters reported last month that Facebook and other Internet companies have begun using automation to remove Islamic State videos and other extremist content from their sites.

(post chopped) cont on newsweek

Facebook, Objectivity, and 'Intelligence Anxiety'

I’ve been following with great interest the flap over Facebook’s alleged censoring of conservative-oriented news items from its influential “trending news” section. It started with an allegation in Gizmodofrom a former employee that the social network overrode its own data and used discretion to place some stories in that section, while removing others, and that in so doing it had a bias against conservative material.

cut

The second, more interesting complaint one could make about Facebook is that it has implicitly mislead its readers into believing that they are seeing an “objective” measurement of mass interest in various stories when they are not—letting people believe that Facebook is not expressing its own judgments about what stories to present, but holding up a mirror to its user base to show everybody what they are collectively interested in. When I see a list on the side of a newspaper site that says “most read” or “most shared,” I assume that’s a relatively dumb algorithm that is simply counting up clicks. I don’t know that Facebook ever explicitly claimed that the news section in question, labeled simply “Trending,” was the equivalent of that—it’s a fairly loose word—but it’s a natural assumption to make in this age of data and algorithms. If people believe they are seeing a picture of what the world looks like via dumb data, but are actually seeing a curated source, that’s a problem.

Last year in a blog post on “The Virtues of Dumbness” I wrote about how there are many situations where we actually want and expect decisionmaking processes to be dumb rather than smart. And as artificial intelligence creeps into more and more of the things around us, I argued that we will increasingly experience a condition I call “intelligence anxiety”—the worry that something that is supposed to be dumb and neutral actually has intelligence embedded within it, and is therefore capable of bias and manipulation. (If somebody has a better term, please let me know!) As I wrote, “the really bad things come when we think something is dumb but it’s not.” That appears to be exactly what has happened with Facebook’s “Trending” section. This would not be the political controversy it is if people didn’t think the story selection in that section was automatic and expect a certain kind of dumbness. cont https://www.aclu.org/blog/free-future/facebook-objectivity-and-intelligence-anxiety

Your Favorite Website Might Be Discriminating Against You

It can be pretty convenient when Facebook processes the gargantuan amount of personal data it has on you to show you ads for the precise lemon curd recipe you never knew you were craving. 

But what are the harms associated with this kind of targeting? It’s hard to answer that question — because an overbroad law actually prohibits the kind of studies best positioned to figure it out.

The implications go far beyond dessert — studies have shown that people are being treated differently online based on their race, actual or perceived. Websites have been found to use demographic data to raise or lower prices, show different advertisements, or steer people to different content. 

The consequences are real. Big data has resulted in people of color, or people who live in communities of color, paying more for car insurance and being more likely to see ads for predatory loans.

cut  (long) https://www.aclu.org/blog/speak-freely/your-favorite-website-might-be-discriminating-against-you

1 person likes this

Facebook Decides Which Killings We’re Allowed to See

A video of the aftermath of a fatal shooting of a black man by a police officer was temporarily removed from Facebook. The company has said the removal was due to a “technical glitch.”

“We're very sorry that the video was inaccessible,” a Facebook spokesperson told The Telegraph. “It was down to a technical glitch and restored as soon as we were able to investigate.”

The 10-minute video depicted Philando Castile of Minnesota, covered in blood after being shot by an officer. Castile's girlfriend Diamond Reynolds, who goes by Lavish Reynolds on Facebook, filmed the Facebook Live video, which has been viewed over 2.3 million times at the time of writing, and shared over a quarter of a million times.

In the video, the woman says the police officer asked her boyfriend for his license and registration. She adds that the man said he had a pistol that he was licensed to carry.

“Oh my god, please don't tell me he's dead,” the women says when Castile slumps in the driver's seat. “Please don't tell me my boyfriend just went like that.”

The video has since been restored, but with a “Warning—Graphic Video,” disclaimer.

“Videos that contain graphic content can shock, offend and upset. Are you sure you want to see this?” the disclaimer continues.

Judging by the timestamps on tweets, the video was restored within around an hour of being removed. cont vice

Facebook is not Israeli friendly, like a lot of people I know... LOL

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, rbear said:

Facebook Decides Which Killings We’re Allowed to See

A video of the aftermath of a fatal shooting of a black man by a police officer was temporarily removed from Facebook. The company has said the removal was due to a “technical glitch.”

Fb lied...

Report: Police, not technical glitch, to blame for removal of Philando Castile video from Facebook:  

https://twitter.com/Gawker/status/751393576718917632

Edited by rbear
fixed link

@rbear

Here's another one for your collection. This is regarding the Aspen Ideas Festival where Loretta Lynch was headed after her pow-wow on the tarmac in Arizona. In the John Kerry video he claims nothing has changed after Brexit. Typical elitist overlord BS.

Leon Wieseltier -

“If Merrick Garland is appointed to the Supreme Court, there will be four Jews on it. Eventually, there won’t be any goyim.” (laughter)

http://mondoweiss.net/2016/07/jewish-entitlement-populism/

3 hours ago, YourMom2 said:

“If Merrick Garland is appointed to the Supreme Court, there will be four Jews on it. Eventually, there won’t be any goyim.” (laughter)

http://mondoweiss.net/2016/07/jewish-entitlement-populism/

I read today that the plan is to mix goyim with Jews to eliminate the "goyim" and so all will be jews so there won't be any "this or that". Then they will get the "purer" jews to be served by the mixed jews lol. I didn't even post it because its somewhere on this forum as I've read before. lol

2 minutes ago, rbear said:

I read today that the plan is to mix goyim with Jews to eliminate the "goyim" and so all will be jews so there won't be any "this or that". Then they will get the "purer" jews to be served by the mixed jews lol. I didn't even post it because its somewhere on this forum as I've read before. lol

Every monarchy has to have a slave class. We already know that Israel does genetic testing to determine Ashkenazi chromosomes.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.