Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Walk Softly

Who is Walk Softly? For Shep

15 posts in this topic

For you @Ukshep 

Before the story, a brief history of who I am. 

While attending college I started working for a big box retailer  (think home depot, walmart, lowes, target...) so I could have some spending money.  Well, one thing led to another and I became a loss prevention manager for them.  In the following years, through promotions and company changes 1 store became 3, 3 became 12, 12 became 60 and 60 became over 150.  Loss prevention has several branches.  You have safety, external theft (shoplifters), operational shrink (paperwork errors) and finally, internal theft.  I always had a knack for catching my own employees stealing from me.  One day, I got an opportunity to become an investigator for a large retail chain.  I jumped on it.  I came under the wing of a guy who is, to this day, the best interrogator I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.  

We discovered a case (my first under his wing), investigated it as fully as we could, booked a flight and flew to Phoenix to conduct the interview.  They call them interviews in retail because it's more PC sounding.  The guy was stealing cash in a pretty genius way (too comlicated to type) to the tune of about $60k.  We sit him down in this room in the back of the store and I'm nervous as shit... I mean, I'm sweating, my hands are shaking... the whole bit.  So my partner tells me to step out for a minute and we leave the perp in there.  

He says, "hey man, you gotta chill the f**k out.  Your missing how GD nervous this guy is because you're too busy losing your shit.  I can see his heart beating so hard his shirt is moving.   Just let me take the lead.  You just listen and don't say a f**king word unless I tell you to." 

We go back in there and sit down.  We don't even say anything.  Literally not a word.  The guy starts asking us why we are accusing him of stealing money.  My partner gets this really retarded looking confused look on his face and cocks his head a little and the guy just starts spilling the beans.  We had him dead to rights for about 20k before we got there through our investigation.  He ended up confessing to 60k and we literally never said a word.  He also rolled on three others.  The entire case ended up being over 100k after we interviewed the other 3.  So my partner tells me that it happens all the time, and sure enough, throughout my career it happened quite a few times. 

Anyway, your conversation with "nicole" reminded me of that... 

My story gets really interesting 4 or 5 years after that.  I'm sitting in a mall food court in a dusty west Texas border town.  I'm working out of a store that has a backroom the size of a bathroom stall so I'm interviewing the staff, one at a time in the food court.  I always interviewed my suspected perp last.  Mainly so I could get others to roll on them, and to increase how nervous they are.  So I interviewed about 6 people that day, including my perp.  I am all done, he's fired and I let him go after signing a promissory note for the losses. I'm sitting there wrapping up some emails before I head to the airport.  This guy walks over and sits down at my table.  He tells me he heard my interrogation and was impressed.  I ask him if he works for the local PD and he laughs and shakes his head no.  (I used to deal with detectives a lot and they tried to recruit me more than once).  

He asks me if I want to do this the rest of my life.  Or would I rather use my skill for something more meaningful. He spent the following couple of months "recruiting" me and I ultimately agreed.   Never looked back.  But that's a story for another day...

1 person likes this

I had another one where an ipad went missing in a store.  I had a guy who was working in the store helping me look for it.  He was trying a little too hard.  Like lifting up keyboards to see if it was underneath.  Guilty people will tell you they are guilty if you just pay attention.  I decided I was going to interview him.  I step outside to call my boss for approval.  I walk back towards the store from the parking lot and he meets me at the door where he promptly confesses to taking it and several others to sell to family members.  

I have some crazy stories from my time in retail.  

22 minutes ago, Walk Softly said:

For you @Ukshep 

Before the story, a brief history of who I am. 

While attending college I started working for a big box retailer  (think home depot, walmart, lowes, target...) so I could have some spending money.  Well, one thing led to another and I became a loss prevention manager for them.  In the following years, through promotions and company changes 1 store became 3, 3 became 12, 12 became 60 and 60 became over 150.  Loss prevention has several branches.  You have safety, external theft (shoplifters), operational shrink (paperwork errors) and finally, internal theft.  I always had a knack for catching my own employees stealing from me.  One day, I got an opportunity to become an investigator for a large retail chain.  I jumped on it.  I came under the wing of a guy who is, to this day, the best interrogator I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.  

We discovered a case (my first under his wing), investigated it as fully as we could, booked a flight and flew to Phoenix to conduct the interview.  They call them interviews in retail because it's more PC sounding.  The guy was stealing cash in a pretty genius way (too comlicated to type) to the tune of about $60k.  We sit him down in this room in the back of the store and I'm nervous as shit... I mean, I'm sweating, my hands are shaking... the whole bit.  So my partner tells me to step out for a minute and we leave the perp in there.  

He says, "hey man, you gotta chill the f**k out.  Your missing how GD nervous this guy is because you're too busy losing your shit.  I can see his heart beating so hard his shirt is moving.   Just let me take the lead.  You just listen and don't say a f**king word unless I tell you to." 

We go back in there and sit down.  We don't even say anything.  Literally not a word.  The guy starts asking us why we are accusing him of stealing money.  My partner gets this really retarded looking confused look on his face and cocks his head a little and the guy just starts spilling the beans.  We had him dead to rights for about 20k before we got there through our investigation.  He ended up confessing to 60k and we literally never said a word.  He also rolled on three others.  The entire case ended up being over 100k after we interviewed the other 3.  So my partner tells me that it happens all the time, and sure enough, throughout my career it happened quite a few times. 

Anyway, your conversation with "nicole" reminded me of that... 

My story gets really interesting 4 or 5 years after that.  I'm sitting in a mall food court in a dusty west Texas border town.  I'm working out of a store that has a backroom the size of a bathroom stall so I'm interviewing the staff, one at a time in the food court.  I always interviewed my suspected perp last.  Mainly so I could get others to roll on them, and to increase how nervous they are.  So I interviewed about 6 people that day, including my perp.  I am all done, he's fired and I let him go after signing a promissory note for the losses. I'm sitting there wrapping up some emails before I head to the airport.  This guy walks over and sits down at my table.  He tells me he heard my interrogation and was impressed.  I ask him if he works for the local PD and he laughs and shakes his head no.  (I used to deal with detectives a lot and they tried to recruit me more than once).  

He asks me if I want to do this the rest of my life.  Or would I rather use my skill for something more meaningful. He spent the following couple of months "recruiting" me and I ultimately agreed.   Never looked back.  But that's a story for another day...

Oh cmon you cant stop now. moar!

You been watch american dad! your first post sound like the lastest episode lol.

8 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

Oh cmon you cant stop now. moar!

Lol!  I am an open book with my retail life.  

What I do now... not so much.  One day if/when I ever walk away from what do I'll share it all.  My family doesn't even know the extent of what I do.  Shit, especially my wife. She's a worrier as it is.  They know I'm gone all the time.  I've got a lot of stamps on my passport.  

I will tell you this.  I have never worked directly for the government.  I help people who couldn't otherwise help themselves.  There is not a high success rate in my business, but when it works out... boy is that a sweet victory.  One day, I'll probably write a book.  

2 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

You been watch american dad! your first post sound like the lastest episode lol.

I don't watch it regularly, well not in several years at least.  I'll have to check it out. Maybe they modeled it after me!!  Haha jk. 

4 minutes ago, Walk Softly said:

Lol!  I am an open book with my retail life.  

What I do now... not so much.  One day if/when I ever walk away from what do I'll share it all.  My family doesn't even know the extent of what I do.  Shit, especially my wife. She's a worrier as it is.  They know I'm gone all the time.  I've got a lot of stamps on my passport.  

I will tell you this.  I have never worked directly for the government.  I help people who couldn't otherwise help themselves.  There is not a high success rate in my business, but when it works out... boy is that a sweet victory.  One day, I'll probably write a book.  

You are a private contractor who specializes in private sector investigating for people who want shit done properly first time! Or you hide people.

15 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

You are a private contractor who specializes in private sector investigating for people who want shit done properly first time! Or you hide people.

Definitely not the latter.  Though I bet there would be a lot of money in hiding people!!  

You are close on your first point.  You do make it sound glamorous though!  My part is a small one in the grand scheme.  The guys I work with... they are truly amazing.  They are the get shit done guys that let me do what I do.  I have never met another human being with more courage than they have.  I owe my life to more than one of them.  Literally. 

1 person likes this

Haha, I suspected you were involved in some sort of investigation work just by your writing style and the way you asked questions and did things. Also, how you answered when asked a question yourself. Very confrontational. An investigator is always secretive about himself and his past and is quick to turn questions around given to him with a question of his own. Talking down to someone they are questioning is always an option and even dictating what they believe happened to break that person's will. The investigator never reveals anything about himself unless he is ready to spill something mega himself.

I respectfully say that these are all of your traits. 

2 hours ago, Cryptic Mole said:

Haha, I suspected you were involved in some sort of investigation work just by your writing style and the way you asked questions and did things. Also, how you answered when asked a question yourself. Very confrontational. An investigator is always secretive about himself and his past and is quick to turn questions around given to him with a question of his own. Talking down to someone they are questioning is always an option and even dictating what they believe happened to break that person's will. The investigator never reveals anything about himself unless he is ready to spill something mega himself.

I respectfully say that these are all of your traits. 

You are correct, as usual CM.  I try not to come off confrontational, though I think it really is part of my personality.  I find myself prefacing my responses and questions because I know how it will be perceived.  I respect most of the people here and do enjoy the conversations I have with you all.  Learning to control conversations is how you become a successful interrogator.  You have to steer people in the right direction and stay on track.  

I try to just go with the flow here, but it doesn't always work.  Rarely actually.

Anyway.  I've told you before, I like you man.  I know we have our differences, but I guarantee that we would get along just fine enjoying a few Peroni's! 

Oh and unless you ever watched another man's will break...   You can literally see the moment it breaks.  You don't know joy.  Haha, I've never broken a good man's will though.  I can't imagine that would be as fun. 

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, Walk Softly said:

You are correct, as usual CM.  I try not to come off confrontational, though I think it really is part of my personality.  I find myself prefacing my responses and questions because I know how it will be perceived.  I respect most of the people here and do enjoy the conversations I have with you all.  Learning to control conversations is how you become a successful interrogator.  You have to steer people in the right direction and stay on track.  

I try to just go with the flow here, but it doesn't always work.  Rarely actually.

Anyway.  I've told you before, I like you man.  I know we have our differences, but I guarantee that we would get along just fine enjoying a few Peroni's! 

Oh and unless you ever watched another man's will break...   You can literally see the moment it breaks.  You don't know joy.  Haha, I've never broken a good man's will though.  I can't imagine that would be as fun. 

I have actually seen it at least 150 times. lol. If you interrogated another with similar abilities, you would have your hands full and it would end in a stalemate. That would be something to watch the cat and mouse game with both opponents changing back and forth from cat to mouse and vice versa. lol. 

edit... oh yeah, a few of those Peroni's together would be awesome indeed!

Edited by Cryptic Mole

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.