Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cinnamon

Large-scale motion detected near San Andreas Fault System

4 posts in this topic

"We were able to break down the noisy signals to isolate a simple vertical motion pattern that curiously straddled the San Andreas fault," researcher Samuel Howell.

HONOLULU, June 20 (UPI) -- Analysis of GPS data has revealed new areas of motion around the San Andreas Fault System.

Using data collected by the EarthScope Plate Boundary Observatory's GPS array, researchers identified 125-mile-wide "lobes" of uplift and subsidence. Over the last several years, the lobes, which straddle the fault line, have hosted a few millimeters of annual movement.

Computer models simulating the San Andreas Fault System have predicted such crustal movement, but the areas of motion hadn't been physically identified until now.

Researchers used advanced statistical modeling to identify the movement among the inevitable statistical noise that comes with monitoring minute movements in the Earth's crust.

<snip>

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2016/06/20/Large-scale-motion-detected-near-San-Andreas-Fault-System/9421466436386/

Why does it take so long to learn about earthquakes and to get the info out there? We need to spend trillions on wars, but can't find out much about the things that really matter.  

I'm thinking this is part of the reason for the recent uptick in that region. But new movement usually means pressure beneath. So keep a watch out for other changes that may indicate doom ahead.

Some have been relating that recent 1000+ earthquake storm in SoCal to movement of magma upward, putting pressure on the crust at the surface.  Vertical movement would tend to support that idea I'd think.

I'm keeping an eye out for anything remotely  related to volcanic activity between that area where the swarm was and the Salton sea with it's ancient volcanic buttes and much more recently active mudpots and outgassings.

4 hours ago, Jostler said:

Some have been relating that recent 1000+ earthquake storm in SoCal to movement of magma upward, putting pressure on the crust at the surface.  Vertical movement would tend to support that idea I'd think.

I'm keeping an eye out for anything remotely  related to volcanic activity between that area where the swarm was and the Salton sea with it's ancient volcanic buttes and much more recently active mudpots and outgassings.

wow, what if the movie volcano comes to reality. >_>

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.