Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
octopus prime

Another loss for freedom, net neutrality

32 posts in this topic

Like most things the government wins, it's an overall loss for us. On the surface,  it sounds good, until you read the small print and project the future of government regulation. 

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/court-upholds-net-neutrality-rules-142117046.html 'Net neutrality' rules for fair internet access win in court

Tucked away inside  the story as usual:

(cut)

On technical grounds, the ruling upholds the FCC's authority to regulate broadband service as a utility, much like phone service, and to forbid what it considers unreasonable practices. It applies equally to wired broadband providers like cable companies and mobile ones such as Verizon.

(cut)

So basically,  the FCC now decides what's fair,  and how the Internet should be ran. Awesome 

5 hours ago, octopus prime said:

Like most things the government wins, it's an overall loss for us. On the surface,  it sounds good, until you read the small print and project the future of government regulation. 

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/court-upholds-net-neutrality-rules-142117046.html 'Net neutrality' rules for fair internet access win in court

Tucked away inside  the story as usual:

(cut)

On technical grounds, the ruling upholds the FCC's authority to regulate broadband service as a utility, much like phone service, and to forbid what it considers unreasonable practices. It applies equally to wired broadband providers like cable companies and mobile ones such as Verizon.

(cut)

So basically,  the FCC now decides what's fair,  and how the Internet should be ran. Awesome 

Uhmmm no this was a win for freedom. This stopped internet providers from creating paywall data caps and from charging exorbitant amounts of money for a service they provide through government funded telecom lines.

Please inform yourself before spreading incorrect information. This was a great victory for freedom as we can now look forward to not being price gouged by charter/comcast in the future.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, thedudeabides said:

Uhmmm no this was a win for freedom. This stopped internet providers from creating paywall data caps and from charging exorbitant amounts of money for a service they provide through government funded telecom lines.

Please inform yourself before spreading incorrect information. This was a great victory for freedom as we can now look forward to not being price gouged by charter/comcast in the future.

<From the article>

"Comcast, for example, lets you watch video at home with its Stream service with no danger of bumping against your data cap (if you have one). T-Mobile's Binge On program lets you watch any video you want from Netflix and many other providers without counting it as data use. Net-neutrality advocates say these types of practices are unfair and tilt the market toward certain favored providers."  

So you are against companies having the freedom to choose what incentives they offer their customers?

Anytime a government agency gains the authority to regulate over private business, the people loose.  More government authority, no matter how condescending you attempt to sound, is NEVER a win for actual freedom loving Americans.  

If comcast, or any other provider gouges the customer, they are free to go somewhere else.  For example, my rates on uverse raised to a level I wasn't confortable with, so I went elsewhere.  It is called capitalism.  Free market only works when people like you and the incompetent goverment step aside.  

"Please inform yourself before spreading incorrect information."

You could certainly benefit from your own advice here. 

You sound awfully silly promoting big government ideologies on a CT site, bucko.

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, Walk Softly said:

<From the article>

"Comcast, for example, lets you watch video at home with its Stream service with no danger of bumping against your data cap (if you have one). T-Mobile's Binge On program lets you watch any video you want from Netflix and many other providers without counting it as data use. Net-neutrality advocates say these types of practices are unfair and tilt the market toward certain favored providers."  

So you are against companies having the freedom to choose what incentives they offer their customers?

Anytime a government agency gains the authority to regulate over private business, the people loose.  More government authority, no matter how condescending you attempt to sound, is NEVER a win for actual freedom loving Americans.  

If comcast, or any other provider gouges the customer, they are free to go somewhere else.  For example, my rates on uverse raised to a level I wasn't confortable with, so I went elsewhere.  It is called capitalism.  Free market only works when people like you and the incompetent goverment step aside.  

"Please inform yourself before spreading incorrect information."

You could certainly benefit from your own advice here. 

You sound awfully silly promoting big government ideologies on a CT site, bucko.

Thanks, you beat me to it.

2 hours ago, thedudeabides said:

The article, (you really should read it) also mentions monopolies and uses Bell telephone as an example.  Anyone old enough to remember Ma Bell, (as I am) knows that land lines were better when Bell had the monopoly over when it was broken up. And it never really got any cheaper,  regardless of the "fair competition". 

Now, once the FCC starts regulating, it will steamroll into what is and is not allowed on the Internet.  What you can and cannot say, who you can and cannot listen to,  etc, etc, censorship ad nauseum.  Please,  for the future,  think things through to a logical conclusion. 

2 people like this

4 hours ago, thedudeabides said:

Can I get an amen from the congregation on that one!

I really hate censorship. Can't even fathom why someone would think it's a good idea. 

1 hour ago, octopus prime said:

I really hate censorship. Can't even fathom why someone would think it's a good idea. 

It isn't censorship and the government has no gained rights they did not already have with the patriot act".

Stop being ignorant. This was a win for common people against big corporations that bleed people of money. They can no longer create bandwidth limits or control the rate data is sent or received. Which is horse shit, as the technology is around for sustained 1tb a second. While most of us sit at 1-3Mb/sec.

This is something I have followed for 6 years. This is and will be always be a win for freedom and a loss for the oligarchy.

1 hour ago, thedudeabides said:

It isn't censorship and the government has no gained rights they did not already have with the patriot act

Stop being ignorant. This was a win for common people against big corporations that bleed people of money. They can no longer create bandwidth limits or control the rate data is sent or received. Which is horse shit, as the technology is around for sustained 1tb a second. While most of us sit at 1-3Mb/sec.

This is something I have followed for 6 years. This is and will be always be a win for freedom and a loss for the oligarchy.

Moron? Really? Gtf

1 minute ago, octopus prime said:

Moron? Really? Gtf

Yes. You are completely clueless. You came into this debate literally at the end, when we who fought for this already won. Don't join into a conversation you have little to no knowledge of whatsoever.

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, thedudeabides said:

Yes. You are completely clueless. You came into this debate literally at the end, when we who fought for this already won. Don't join into a conversation you have little to no knowledge of whatsoever.

You have no clue what I  knowor anything about me. But I know a tool when I read something they write. A real government stooge and e-thug , aren't you.  If you don't know enough to be civil,  keep your stupid comments to yourself. 

6 years? I  wouldn't let anyone know i studked something for 6 years and still had no idea what was going on.  But maybe that works for you 

Edited by octopus prime

1 minute ago, octopus prime said:

You have no clue what I  knowor anything about me. But I know a tool when I read something they write. A real government stooge and e-thug , aren't you.  If you don't know enough to be civil,  keep your stupid comments to yourself. 

I do not need to be civil. When you are the one purporting corporate shill lines. Everything you state din the original post was a lie. A lie that corporations tried to shill out for the past 5 years.

I will call out your horse crap, whenever, I damn well please. You and yours all smell of bullshit every time you speak.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.